Recapping Emotions

Lessons from Romance

"====="

Namjoo had first gone to her room to check her phone. There was only one call she'd expected; Kai's. Like usual, there was nothing from him. He was probably trying to ignore her and she knew she should be doing the same, but it was just hard. A sigh dropped from when she saw that there had been calls from Aunt Jin, home, her mother, and her father. She wasn't going to go back home just yet. She'd wait...a while longer. 

Leaving her phone behind she headed downstairs wondering if anyone had started on preparations for the barbeque. As she reached the bottom of the stairs she heard someone call her name. Ki Chan headed toward her from where he'd been sitting in the kitchen. 

"About earlier," he started, "I'm sorry. I didn't know you didn't like that kind of stuff."

Namjoo was little lost before she suddenly remembered, "Ah...that. It's ok. It's not a big deal." 

"It's a big deal for me," he told. 

The sudden casualness surrounding them sudden transferred into a serious atmosphere and Namjoo wanted to quickly leave. 

"You remember when we went to eat pork cutlets and even though I didn't like it, I still ate it?" Ki Chan asked. "You thought I was lying about feeling sick from it, but now it's different. We've known each other for quite a while, so we know and understand each other better now right? So if I tell you something, is it all right?"  

"Of course, why wouldn't I remember that? Of course, I've known you for a long time. I trust you. What is it?"  

"You might know it anyway, but I still want to tell you myself."  

As a good friend, Namjoo couldn't remove her eyes from his. She had a feeling she knew what it was he was going to say, but she knew what she was going to say too. Thanks to Chae Yoon, she'd also prepared herself for this.  

She stood there quietly waiting for him to go on, but instead a loud sound seemed to have come from the kitchen surprising them both. Stepping toward the side she recognized Luhan standing by the sink. 

"You were there?" Namjoo asked. 

Readily turning around he glanced at Ki Chan quickly before looking at her, "Ah...you were there? I didn't know, sorry." 

The screen door slid open and Chae Yoon stepped in, "Should we start cutting up the meat and washing the veggies?" 

"Yea, sure," Namjoo glanced at Chae Yoon and turned her gaze toward Luhan, who was now no longer looking at her. 

Turning around he passed Chae Yoon and headed outside. 

"I guess I should go get drinks, any specifics?" Ki Chan suggested. 

"Buy something strong." Chae Yoon told. "We should have fun tonight." 

"Lets not," Namjoo said, "you know I don't drink much. I'll get drunk easily."  

"That's the fun of it. We might even get to hear some secrets," Chae Yoon slyly glanced at her.  

"What are you talking about?" Namjoo asked.  

"I'll get something good for you, don't worry," Ki Chan patted Namjoo's back before heading outside.  

What did he mean by that?  

Namjoo watched him disappear out the door wondering if she should be nervous. Forcing herself away she started toward the fridge to pull out the food they'd brought earlier.  

"What's that chain around your wrist?" Chae Yoon wondered. "Shouldn't you be wearing something more...elegant or womanly?"  

Namjoo glanced at the bracelet now too precious to be taken off, "But I like it."  

"Really? You have weird taste," Chae Yoon commented and smiled cheekily. "So how are you Luhan? I don't see you two talking much since you got here. Is something going on between you two?"   

"It's nothing," Namjoo replied washing her hands. "He's probably mad at me or something."

"Mad? Why?"

"I don't know." Namjoo shrugged, feeling a little down. "Do you think you need to have a reason to be friends with each other? Does it have to a mutual thing?"

"Why?" Chae Yoon asked then prodded, "Did he say he doesn't want to be friends?"  

Namjoo quietly thought about it, "Do you think he's met his ex recently?" 

Chae Yoon's eyes went wide, "How would you know? You've been keeping tabs on him? I didn't know you were the possessive type."

"No way!" Namjoo defended. "Luhan's his own person. I don't want to control him. He probably has lots of his mind. Do you think if I just let him be, he'll ignore me forever?"

"Then perhaps he's not meant to be your friend," Chae Yoon added. "Why do you need him anyway?"  

Namjoo quietly thought about it. Luhan had listened to her and she'd even shared secrets with him. She couldn't forget how he'd come after her in the countryside and even stayed with her; even prompting her to go back home.He'd been there for her when Kai left and he'd always been her company. 

"I don't know," Namjoo stared into the depths of the silver metallic sink. "I like being around him." 

There was a moment of silence, "You like him?" 

All noise suddenly dispersed and her mind emptied out. He'd hugged her quietly when she'd cried; he'd been beside her the whole time and it had such a comfort in place of Kai who'd left her. Namjoo was touched by the smallest things he'd done for and with her. The night he'd accompanied her to the wedding; driven back when her feet had been too sore and had made her stay the night after giving her the foot massage. Luhan always ate with her so that she wasn't lonely and the picnic they'd had had made her happy. There were many few things she couldn't forget.  

"Do I?" Namjoo seemed to ask herself. "Maybe." 

"====="        

A baffled smile had crossed Ki Chan's face when Luhan had turned away from them earlier. He was really in disbelief that he'd been in the kitchen the whole time eavesdropping on him and Namjoo. He suddenly couldn't forget Chae Yoon's words about how close he and Namjoo were. He'd even spent personal time with her in the countryside and he didn't want to think about the things they may have done together.

He found Luhan staring off into the distance when he stepped outside. 

"Want to go out with me for a bit?" Ki Chan asked. 

Actually, now he was very curious about what his relationship with Namjoo was and what he felt for her. Ki Chan wouldn't be taking anyone on, because he was already first in line. 

"What do you think of the resort? You like it?" Ki Chan asked.  

They were now headed toward the store. A flush of green leaves and the sea followed them from the side. Once in a few minutes a car would rush by and all they could hear again were the sounds of the concrete running against the tires.  

"It's nice and cozy."

"Right?" Ki Chan asked. "I want to spend some time alone here someday. You think she'd like that?" 

He wanted to test for Luhan's reaction.  
   
"I mean, I heard you two have gotten pretty close in a short amount of time so you probably know how she feels better than I do. You know Namjoo and I went to school together?"

"I know," his voice was quiet. "I'm not close enough to know what Namjoo's thinking. Since the resort's nice, she probably likes it."

Luhan was so vague.  

“What do you think of her? As a friend I mean."  

No matter how many times Ki Chan had glanced at him he always had his eyes out the side window, as if to avoid his gaze.  

"I don't know."  

"You went to look for her earlier, didn’t you? At the market when you said you were going to the bathroom." Ki Chan said. "I'm right, aren't I?"  

"====="

Luhan hated this. This was an interrogation. The last person he wanted to talk about Namjoo with was this guy. When he thought about the confession Ki Chan had almost given earlier he was even happier now that he'd intervened. If he'd been seconds late...actually, he didn't want to think about that.  

His eyes shot to glance out the corner of his lids upon Ki Chan's suspicion. What exactly did the guy want?

Finally turning to him, Luhan spoke, "Yes. Why?"

Ki Chan let out a breathless laugh and smiled, "Nothing. Namjoo charms a lot of people. She's quite special. I guess it's not a crime to have fallen for it. Although many of us should know we're not in the same league." Turning into the lot Ki Chan parked the car, "We're here."     

Luhan found himself staring at Ki Chan irritated. 

As they walked along the cold aisle Luhan stared at Ki Chan as he glanced over the liquor and beer on the shelves. They were really planning to drink, Luhan thought. Why? Did this guy and Chae Yoon have some sort of plan on Namjoo?     

When Ki Chan grabbed a large bottle of clear orange liquid Luhan felt himself worry.

"I don't think you should get that." Luhan told. 

Ki Chan glanced at him and removed his hand, "Really? Chae Yoon says she wants something strong." 

"Why don't we just do it casually," Luhan suggested.

He didn't want Namjoo to get too intoxicated. That girl wasn't a drinker and Luhan didn't want her to have even a sip of beer if they were to drink that night. 

"You think?" Ki Chan asked. "I've never once gotten to drink with Namjoo."

Luhan pressed his lips together nervous about what Ki Chan was thinking.  

"All right then. Since Chae Yoon loves beer, lets just get that."

When they stood in line at the checkout counter Luhan found himself staring off toward some candy stacked up together. Kai, Namjoo had told him, had often bought her treats; given snacks to her even when she wasn't hungry. He wondered if Namjoo had finished the candy he'd given her, but if she did it would mean she'd been stressed lately and he didn't want her stressed.

If they were spending time together tonight that would mean Chae Yoon would be pushing Namjoo off toward Ki Chan. He recalled Namjoo telling him that the two of them made her uncomfortable sometimes and he suddenly understood why. Regardless of how Namjoo felt, they'd have their way.

"Ah...Namjoo loves sweets," Ki Chan stated when he caught what Luhan was looking at. "She always had some with her during school."

Of course she would. 

"I like her, you know," Ki Chan boldly admitted.

All thoughts disappeared and Luhan quickly turned to look at Ki Chan. 

"I'm sure Chae Yoon already told her, but I still want her to hear it from me," Ki Chan explained. "Namjoo gets my heart racing. Honestly, you won't find someone as down to earth as her anywhere. All other girls would want money. All they look for is someone to rely on, but Namjoo; she's independent and smart and she doesn't brag about her family. She always wants to do things herself, I like that about her." 

Luhan couldn't believe it. Was Ki Chan trying to stir him up? Was he and Chae Yoon in together on a plan or something?

"You know Namjoo's never dated before," Ki Chan said, "I want to be her first love."  

Luhan would have broken out into laughter, but for some reason he didn't want to. All that swarmed through him were some bitter emotions. He wanted to leave. Enough about Namjoo already. The world didn't revolve around her. But maybe Ki Chan had stirred him up already.                       

"Are you sure she's never had her first love yet?" Luhan questioned. "Not everyone has to date someone to be considered their first love."

Ki Chan stared at him for long time until the cashier called for their attention.

Namjoo loved Kai and she probably would only ever keep him as the only man in her heart. Why else would that picture be kept in her picture for so long? Luhan could tell the picture was years old. Namjoo's hair was no longer chin short and Kai looked more sophisticated than he had in the picture. If it wasn't Kai, Namjoo would never give her heart away. Not him or Ki Chan were of enough value to compete with someone like Kai. 

"You're back?" Chae Yoon greeted when they walked into the kitchen. "This is all you bought? I thought we were going all out?" 

There was this heavy invisible weight sitting on his heart when he followed Ki Chan in. The thoughts about Kai had made Luhan feel so inferior it made him feel small. Besides, he was even more sure now that he had never meant anything to Namjoo. Her only true smile was when Kai was around. If it wasn't him, Namjoo would always only give her smile of pretension. 

He could feel his eyes running up from the ground to look at Namjoo, who was too busy washing her hands. That bracelet meant for Kai was running up and down her arm and it was all evidence enough for him that he had all the importance in Namjoo's heart. No one compared to it.  

Namjoo turned the faucet off and turned around. Before she might catch him looking he quickly turned away.                        

"Namjoo," Chae Yoon called. 

Suddenly turning away from him she asked, "Huh?"

"Help Ki Chan set up the grill outside." 

"Oh...ok." Namjoo turned to look at Luhan before walking out.   

When she headed out the door Luhan quickly turned with a breath catching in his throat. He suddenly regretted having looked away from her earlier. He should have at least caught her eyes. 

"Where are your eyes googling?" Chae Yoon asked loudly stepping forward to close the door. 

Luhan turned to look at her. 

"Why? You jealous she actually went with Ki Chan?" 

"Do you know Namjoo hates it when you try to shove her toward him like that." 

Chae Yoon raised a brow, "Him? Oh...Ki Chan? Does saying his name make your mouth sour?" 

Ignoring her he went on, "Namjoo isn't an object for you to throw around. So stop doing it." 

"She's never said she hates it," Chae Yoon shook her head mightily and crossed her arms. "Instead, I think you're the only one bothered by it." 

Luhan quietly stared at her, feeling more infuriated by the second. 

"It doesn't matter, because Ki Chan likes her anyway. She'll come to love him in due time." 

A breathless laugh of sarcasm escaped him, "Love him? The only person Namjoo loves is..." 

Quickly catching himself he bit his tongue. 

Chae Yoon looked thrown off guard by his words, "Loves who?" 

Luhan glanced away. He couldn't believe he'd almost given himself away. He'd hurt Namjoo even more if he'd spoken about her scar.  

"Is that why you've been moping around?" Chae Yoon asked. "She loves someone else other than you?"

He gritted his teeth.   

"Wow," Chae Yoon sounded plainly sarcastic, "the girl Luhan loves has someone else in her heart."


***Ki Chan senses Lu's feelings for Namjoo; you know, it's a man's intuition. Huhuhu~~ Does Namjoo already like Lu romantically or did she mean omething else? Chae Yoon's getting closer to her ugly side