One Night Care

Lessons from Romance

“=====”

Kai was still seated there, watching the others enjoy themselves on the dance floor. He looked forlorn and lonely. Very quietly, Luhan walked back to the table to sit down. When he caught Kai’s eyes, Luhan watched him smile at him before looking away. As Luhan sat there he wondered if Chae Yoon and Kai had talked about anything.

“What’s this?! You two are still here?!” Namjoo jumped back toward them almost breathless.

The two of them glanced up at her before she reached out for their arms.

“Come on, lets go!” Namjoo urged trying to pull them up.

“I don’t…I don’t really dance,” Luhan tried.

“Stop lying!” Namjoo exclaimed before using even more force. “Come on! The night’s almost over! Have some fun with me, Kai! We don’t even come out much!”

Luhan barely tripped after her as she pulled the two of them onto the dance floor. At first he stood there awkwardly among the moving crowd; the music blasting into his ears, deafening him. After a short moment Namjoo teasingly knocked herself into him and shouted for him start dancing. Heaving a sigh he gave up and started jumping around as well. In no time he saw Namjoo smiling and encouraging him on before she grabbed Kai’s hands to flail them around.

By the time it finally ended Luhan could still hear the music ringing within his ears. He wanted to go home, wash up, and knock out in bed. Luhan was trailing a few steps ahead of Namjoo before Kai grabbed Namjoo’s arm to stop her.

“You want to trade shoes?” Kai asked when Luhan turned to look at them. “You shouldn’t have jumped around so much. You’re limping.”

“It’s fine,” Namjoo replied. “I’ll be fine.”

“How are you going to work if you can’t walk well? Why’d you wear such heels?” Kai complained. “I’ll drop you off at home. You shouldn’t drive in that condition.”

“I’m ok. Really, and looks are everything nowadays, don’t you know?”

Luhan watched Kai bend down to touch Namjoo’s foot, but she quickly jumped and let out a shout of pain.

“See,” Kai stated straightening up. “Your feet’s full of blisters.”

Namjoo laughed guiltily before brushing him off, “It’s ok. I’ll be fine. After I drop Luhan off, I’ll hop right into bed. Get home safe, ok? Text me when you do.”

Kai slightly complained before touching Namjoo’s head, “Fine, be that way. Drive safe, you hear me?”

A broad smile encased Namjoo’s face as she waved to Kai. For a few seconds she watched him walk off before finally turning toward Luhan.

“Lets go,” Namjoo started.

Spinning around Luhan caught up with Namjoo’s slow, staggering steps before holding his hand out.

“I’ll drive,” he offered and watched Namjoo turn to look at him surprised. “You heard your brother, right? I don’t think I want to die out on the road either.”

Namjoo chuckled before reaching into her purse and handed him the jingling keys.

“Did you have fun?” Namjoo asked as they started down the road. “But on another hand, you just sat most of the time. Is that how you enjoy yourself?”

“I’m not one for partying,” Luhan replied.

“Really? You look like one to me,” Namjoo commented, leaning forward in her seat to look at him.

Luhan glanced at her through the corner of his eyes and turned away to snort at her comment. He caught Namjoo smiling as she leaned back into her seat before turning to look at the area they were passing. It was very close to Luhan’s place.

Namjoo let out a small laugh, “You still wanted to return home first?”

A slightly blank confused look emanated over her face as he turned into the lot.

“Why?” Namjoo asked. “I could have just dropped you off out front.”

Quietly pulling into an empty space Luhan turned the engine off before stepping out. Namjoo didn’t seem to follow him until he leaned forward to tap on the window. Shooting him a frown she stepped out as well before limping around the car to approach him.

“Wha…” Namjoo started and silenced when Luhan slipped out of his shoes.

Stupefied, she glanced up at him with her wide eyes.

“Take off your heels and wear my shoes.” Luhan directed.

Namjoo looked around before turning back to him, “Wh…”

“I don’t think you’re able to walk in like that,” Luhan pointed out.

“Oh…” Namjoo sounded and eventually stepped out of her heels.

Luhan watched her grimace in pain before slipping her feet into his shoes too big for her.

“Come on,” Luhan said grabbing her pair of heels and started toward the door.

Compared to Namjoo’s elegant place, his apartment building lacked an elevator. Thinking about walking those stairs made him feel sorry for Namjoo, but he didn’t think it was quite right to offer to carry her up. Slowing his steps he waited for her to catch up before continuing his way up again.

“Take a seat,” he told as he opened the door for her when they finally arrived.

Namjoo glanced around before slipping out of his shoes and stepped toward his couch. When she was seated Luhan walked into his room and searched around his desk area before finally finding his water foot massage machine underneath his bed. Crawling onto the floor to pull it out he walked into the bathroom to fill it up with water before heading toward Namjoo.

“What’s that?” Namjoo asked when he sat it onto the ground by her feet and searched around for an electric plug.

“A foot massage machine.”

“You have one of those?”

“Turns out I do,” he replied. “Put your feet in.”

The machine came to life with the water slowly bubbling after he plugged it into an outlet. He listened to her let out a shout from surprise before laughing joyfully at herself.

“It does feel nice,” Namjoo commented. “Thanks Luhan.”

He slightly smiled and stood to his feet, “Relax for a moment. I’m going to go change.”

Namjoo nodded intensively then switched her attention toward the machine amused. She looked so childish, he thought, closing the door to his room.  

“=====”

Kai had never really liked Chae Yoon. He really only tolerated her because Namjoo claimed her as a best friend and he didn’t want to upset Namjoo.

Pulling at his tie to loosen its hold around his neck he tossed it onto his bed. Walking over to the picture of solely him and Namjoo he picked it up. A feverish smile climbed onto his face subconsciously as he stared into her face.

Every little detail about her was perfect to its core. Namjoo was always prettiest with that smile on her face; she was his little princess, his queen.

“But that would be a pretty big embarrassment for your popular family,” Chae Yoon added very coolly as if she hadn’t meant to trigger any harm and smiled away. “Your family’s carrying so much pride; it’d really destroy all the networks you’ve built if the one person Namjoo likes is her own brother. Imagine it, even the business; friends; and partners would flock to leave you. I’m not saying she’s into you, but you know.”

Chae Yoon’s words rushed through his head and he almost hated her for saying it. That woman was much too gutsy for him, but he knew he couldn’t disregard her words.

Their family fortune had long been built and was still in the process of being built. If he and Namjoo tore their reputation down just because they were selfish about their feelings, they’d die of shame in the process. Neither wanted to harm the family, yet neither wanted to separate. Yet, if he continued to let their hearts throb for each other as it always had…where would they go from there?

It wasn’t like the two of them could ever hold hands in public. Being together wasn’t even a possibility to start with. Thinking about it twisted his heart painfully.

He really loved her, but it couldn’t happen.

What was he going to do?

“=====”

Namjoo was eagerly checking her phone when Luhan stepped out of the shower. She quickly turned upon hearing him and pointed to her feet.

“I think I should be going now,” Namjoo told. “Can I get a towel to wipe my feet?”

Grabbing a fresh one from the closet he handed it toward her and pulled the plug out. Turning to watch her dry her feet brought into his sight the few visible blisters on her feet. He could only imagine how painful they were.

“Why don’t you just stay the night?” Luhan suggested.

Lifting her head up she stared at him.

“I mean, your feet are probably too sore for you to drive,” Luhan pointed out.

“No,” she shook her head, “I’ll be fine.”

After drying her feet she stood and he took note of her face contorting in immediate pain.

“See,” he pointed out. “Get some rest and wait till tomorrow.”

Namjoo winced in spot and stared at him before awkwardly saying, “B…but I want to wash up too, you know…”

Glancing away as if embarrassed as well he coolly explained, “You can just borrow some of mine. It’s ok.”

Namjoo looked up at him as if to confirm his offer. Walking into his room he dug through his drawers for something comfy and come up with some sweats and a plain t-shirt. Heading back out he handed them to her.

“Are you sure?”

“I said it’s fine,” he repeated.

She eyed the clothes for a long time and finally reached for them. For another second they stood there almost awkwardly.

“Thanks Luhan,” Namjoo said as she clutched the clothes tightly.

“You’re welcome.”

When the bathroom door closed he cleaned up the massage machine and made time to make some tea. While waiting for the water to boil he searched through his closet for an extra pillow, but when he couldn’t find an extra he took one from his bed to put on the couch. The water finally started boiling a few moments after and just when he poured himself a cup of warm tea the bathroom door opened. He turned to see Namjoo walk out, again, awkwardly in his clothes a bit too big for her. His sweats went past her feet, hiding them from view even after folded and the sleeves of his t-shirt hung down her thin arms making her appear like a scarecrow.

Luhan thought that for the very first time Namjoo couldn’t make eye contact with him. It felt new and strange, because of all times in the past Namjoo never tended to shy in front of him.

Looking away he set down the mug and reached out for the dress and blazer draped around her arm. For a mere moment Namjoo almost tugged it back before letting him take it.

“Take a seat,” he told, walking into the kitchen to drape her clothes over one of the chairs.

Luhan took to searching through his cupboard for some bandages he’d seen earlier. Finally making his way back he sat down on the ground in front of Namjoo.

“W…what?” Namjoo questioned pulling back when he reached for one of her feet.  

“You’re going to have to fix up the blisters if you don’t want them popping overnight,” Luhan explained and finally managed to set her left foot onto his knee.

“You’re a bit short,” he commented when he saw how much she’d rolled up the bottom of the sweats, but they were still hanging past her feet.

“I’m quite the average height,” Namjoo defended and listened to him snort.

Luhan took to rolling up his sweats some more so that it’d no longer be hanging over her feet. As he did so, he could feel the warmth coming off her body grazing against his fingertips. For some intended reason neither of them spoke. It was almost as if the sudden moment held a bit too much intimacy for their considered friendship.  

Namjoo’s feet were small and delicate, soft as well. Not only were there blisters, but little cuts where the heels had eaten into her skin. A slight redness from the blood inside made him feel even sorrier for her. She must’ve been really something to withstand the pain all throughout the wedding.

Luhan didn’t understand why women did so much to obtain some kind of standard of beauty. It was painful. Was it really worth it?

Suddenly he wondered if she had intended to pretty up tonight for Kai, but shook his head at the thought.

Pulling the bandaids out from the box he gently wrapped them around the cuts and covered the blisters as best he could. He repeated the whole thing for her other foot.

“I don’t have medicinal stuff, so you’re going to have to find some cream for the cuts,” Luhan explained as he stood.

“It’s fine,” Namjoo waved him off as she stood.

“Are you hungry?”

“No.”

“Do you want some tea?” He wondered throwing the bandaid back into the cupboard.

“No,” she replied again.

He turned to look at her to find that she was standing around in an awkward manner.

“Are you tired?” He asked. “If you are, you can go sleep on my bed. I’ll sleep out here for the night.”

Namjoo slightly turned her head to look around and shook her head, “I’ll sleep out here. I shouldn’t take your bed from you.”

“Are you hinting that I’ve done something dirty on my bed?”

Namjoo let out a loud breath as if to laugh before raising her voice to quite some level, “Of course not!”

Luhan shortly laughed and added, “If not, then go sleep.”

Reaching her arm out to touch the couch Namjoo told stubbornly, “No, I’ll sleep out here. I’m shorter than you anyway and the couch is kind of small. You’ll just hurt your back sleeping out here.”

He furrowed his brows wondering what kind of excuse she was coming up with before she finally sat down.

“I’m sleeping,” Namjoo called out, laying down.

Leaning back in step to see her really lying down he set down his tea and walked into his room. Pulling a blanket out of the closet he walked out to drape it over her and turned off the lights. Quietly making his way back into the kitchen he slowly drank the rest of his tea and peered into the room to see that Namjoo was no longer moving around.

With a small smile crawling onto his face he turned away to drink the rest of his tea. Setting it softly into the sink he started toward his bedroom to turn in for the night.

On his way there he heard Namjoo call out, “Good night, Luhan.”

Pausing slightly in his steps he turned around to peer through the darkness and smiled again.

“Good night,” he quietly replied almost shyly somewhat hoping Namjoo would and wouldn’t hear it.


***You guys waited for thsi right? 

***No more Chae Yoon for a few chapters since I'm going to focus on KaiJoo's road to goodbye i~i