One Person's Importance

Lessons from Romance

“=====”    

“Sorry Namjoo,” Kai apologized over the phone, “mom wants to train me a few more days so that I can get familiar with the work around here.”

“That’s ok,” Namjoo replied. “Have you been eating well?”

“Of course I have, I’m at home,” Kai said matter-of-factly. “Compared to you I have it a lot better. You?”

“Well you know…the usual.”

“Stop eating soup all the time. It won’t be good for you. Eat some meat too and some greens,” Kai told. “Your friend handed Aunt Jin a wedding invitation. She was going ballistic over it.”

“Really?” Namjoo sounded amused. “You should come in Aunt Jin’s place.”

“Should I?” Kai played along before they both laughed.

“It’d be nice to see you,” Namjoo said after a few seconds. “You should get a break from work too. We’re only young once.”

“I know, right?” Kai stated in a joking manner, but Namjoo knew her mother wasn’t about to give him a break just yet. “Have you eaten? It’s a little past dinner time.”

“I’ll grab something after I run an errand.”

“Errand? This late at night?”

“It’s not that late. I need to return something.”

“Return what?”

“Just…something,” Namjoo told. “Get some rest Kai. I’ll see you soon?”

“Yes, I promise. Good night.”

When Namjoo hung up she felt all warm inside her heart, but she missed him. It’d been almost two weeks since she’d seen him even if they lived in the same city.

Tucking the phone into her back pocket she grabbed the gift box before heading out the door.

Namjoo wasn’t a very materialistic person, nor did she know much about fashion. After Chae Yoon’s comments she’d taken a trip to the mall one day before work and found the store Luhan had bought the shirt from. Other than the sale going on, she easily discovered the shirt among the others. It was a pricey thing and she felt bad that Luhan had spent so much of his money on some piece of cloth just to thank her.

After knocking once on the door she could smell the aroma of beef and food on the other side when Luhan opened it.

“Oh, Namjoo,” Luhan greeted upon seeing her. “What are you doing here? Want to come in?”

“No it’s fine,” Namjoo shook her head before holding out the gift box. “I actually just wanted to return this.”

Luhan’s eyes lowered toward the gift box and became smiled a little embarrassed when he recognized it.

“What is it?” He asked looking back at her to make certain it wasn’t what he was thinking it was.

“It’s a bit too much for me,” Namjoo explained, “you should take it back. I’m not very good with all these clothes stuff, so if you want to thank me in the future, I’d rather have a simple meal.”

Luhan stared at the box again before laughing as if he was even more flustered.

“Why? You don’t think I’m capable of affording such a shirt? Is this your way of looking down on me?”

Her brows shot up almost confused before immediately shaking her head, “I didn’t mean it that way.”

“How can you return a gift? I’ve never heard of anyone who returned a gift before,” Luhan fairly stated. “Isn’t it always the thought that counts? Is it not important enough?”

Namjoo glanced at him before she felt him push the box back toward her.

“Keep it,” Luhan told. “Wait here.”

Namjoo listened to him walk away while sinking in some level of embarrassment, but warmth. A part of her was glad Luhan didn’t want the shirt back, but wanted her to keep it because he’d wanted to show her his gratefulness.

Looking up as Luhan returned she spotted something neatly folded up within his hands. Approaching her he held it out and when Namjoo recognized the shirt she felt her heart race.

“Chae Yoon asked me to return it,” Luhan lied.

Without word Namjoo reached for the shirt and felt her heart cry out as she held it within her fingers. She was probably the happiest girl alive at the moment. Kai’s beloved gift was back in her hands. She was so thankful she almost wanted to cry.

“Thanks,” Namjoo couldn’t help as her voice when so soft it barely cracked; her eyes glued to the fabric of the shirt still well managed.

When she looked up at Luhan she smiled even wider and subconsciously clutched the shirt to her chest, as if sharing her happiness with him was important. Luhan returned the smile.

“Oh yea…the wedding,” Namjoo suddenly recalled, “do you still want to go?”

“Wedding?”

“Ki Chan’s sister’s wedding,” Namjoo reminded, “lets go together. I can come get you and we can head to the venue together. How about it?”

Luhan seemed to ponder over the offer, but Namjoo felt like she needed to bring him out or he’d always be at home or at work.

“Lets go have some fun, don’t want to have some fun once in a while?” Namjoo urged. “Maybe you can go find someone else who can sway that heart of yours over there.”

Namjoo laughed before reaching over to nudge him.

“I was just kidding,” she added, “but lets go enjoy ourselves. I heard there’s going to be lots of food cooked by chefs and a party hour.”

“Alright, fine, lets go,” Luhan gave in and listened to Namjoo chuckle. “Did you have dinner? I just made something.”

“It’s fine. I only have a few hours before I head in for work,” Namjoo replied. “I’ll see you this weekend for sure then, ok?”

As she turned to walk away she gave him a short wave, her small heart overjoyed. For a second she even thought she might jump into bed and hug the shirt all night long. She’d been brokenhearted because she’d let Chae Yoon have the shirt, but her friend must have recalled it was a gift from Kai and had returned it. Namjoo would have to thank her too.

Namjoo was going to have a simple meal before heading off to bed, but as soon as she walked into the kitchen there were already a few dishes on the table. With her heart jumping in her chest she immediately ran out of the kitchen to search her apartment, but there was no sign of anyone. For a few seconds Namjoo stared around the emptiness as if to soak in the fact that she was the only one there.

Disappointed she headed back into the kitchen and finally discovered the note on the side. Setting down the gift box and her shirt she reached for it.

“You’re surprised, right? I brought the meal from home so eat up and stay healthy. I’ll see you soon, I promise.” – Kai

A smile stretched across her face before she uncovered the dishes to discover that they were some of her favorites. Of course, Kai would know.

Thankful, she sat down to finally have dinner.

“=====”

Attending a festive formal event hadn’t been on Luhan’s agenda for a while now. Agreeing to go was a matter out of his hands, but at the last minute he thought enjoying himself wouldn’t be too bad of a choice. Forgetting all the stress Chae Yoon gave him was something he needed at the moment. Although he knew she’d be at the wedding too, he would have to forgo her presence. Luhan thought he was quite ok with ignoring her too.

Clipping the last of his button up shirt he stared at himself in the mirror. He still looked well, like the old Luhan who’d never changed. Tonight, he’d just enjoy himself. That was the plan; like a self-date.

Namjoo picked him up half an hour later and they arrived at the venue shortly after. On that bright sunny day the wedding had been decided to be held outdoors. Sharing such an event with nature was an important concept of the wedding. There were white streamers everywhere giving the yard a heavenly look. Round tables draped in white table cloth draped more than half the grass yard, luxurious with the color green and tall flowers on the side.

There was a crowd forming at the front where they were congratulating the immediate family members and being welcomed. Luhan followed Namjoo down the walk curiously peering around before he turned when Namjoo made a noise.

“You’re here?!” Namjoo exclaimed, abandoning him as she rushed toward a man standing at the side of the greeting line.

He recognized Kai and greeted him with a nod of the head as he slowly joined them. As they talked Luhan noticed how Namjoo was practically all smiles around him. He also took note of how they seem to refrain from holding each other.

How did Namjoo feel about that, he wondered.

“So this is where you all are,” Chae Yoon stated walking up to them.

“Chae Yoon!” Namjoo excitedly called out, walking forward to grab her arm.

“That dress looks good on you,” Chae Yoon finely commented with a short smile.

Compared to the sophisticated manner Namjoo had dressed in, Chae Yoon looked like she was really ready to party. Her eyes were lined out in thick black lines for emphasis of fierceness and her choice of jewelry were definitely very outgoing, a little overboard as if she wanted to decorate herself like a tree.

“Thanks,” Namjoo took the compliment to heart with a grateful smile, “and thanks, for returning the shirt.”

“Shirt?” Chae Yoon raised a brow caught off guard with the sudden mention of it.

“Mm! The one I lent you that night,” Namjoo added and Luhan watched Chae Yoon turn to stare at him.

“There you all are! What are you standing out here for? Come in!” Ki Chan voiced running over gladly to them. “Whoa…you two ladies look stunning!”

Luhan quietly followed them in with no comment to relay. The wedding proceeded in a very progressive manner with the start of the sermon, vows, then exchange of rings. Luhan stared at the groom and the bride with very empty feelings. Though he was happy for them he didn’t really care. It wasn’t because they were mere strangers to him, but falling in love didn’t really have meaning. Maybe he’d lost his emotions a while ago while trying to swim out of that dark hole.

After the first part of the wedding was completed they were moved to a nearby building where the rest of the celebration would take place. Upon entering Luhan glanced at the chefs and employees all dressed in white aprons and some in chef hats. They were busily organizing the food tables. Identical tables to the ones outside sat all around inside with a fair space for the dancing square.

Hungrily grabbing their plates of food they returned to the table to eat up. Ki Chan also took to joining them at their table and with him present Luhan didn’t think Chae Yoon would take to trying anything rude.

When the lights went out and the music came on Chae Yoon left the table with one of her female friends while Namjoo remained seated with Kai. Luhan couldn’t hear what they were talking about, but he could definitely see the two of them laughing in quite a jolly manner. They looked like a couple drowned in their own world, oblivious of what was going on around them. At one moment, he even saw Namjoo reaching over to fix Kai’s hair before he smiled at her in such a soft way that seemed as if his eyes were expressing all his innermost feelings. They continued talking casually after that and when neither of their hands appeared on the tabletop, he took to wondering if they were holding hands secretly.  

“Namjoo,” Ki Chan walked back to their table and extended his hand out, “come dance with me.”

For a moment it felt as if the music quieted and everyone stopped shuffling their feet crazily on the dance floor. From the corner of his eyes he could see Namjoo looking up at Ki Chan before slightly glancing at Kai for guidance.

“Go on, go have fun,” Kai urged a second later.

Obeying, Namjoo smiled and grabbed Ki Chan’s hand before they disappeared somewhere into the crowd.   

Now that it was just the two of them with Namjoo’s empty seat between them, Luhan wasn’t sure whether he felt more nervous or awkward. After a minute when he turned to look at Kai again he saw that his eyes were focused somewhere on the dance floor. Following his gaze Luhan caught sight of Namjoo and Ki Chan slightly holding each other for the slow song lullabying the soft night.

The golden lights glowed over the crowd of couples magically. Its hue looked god descended, special and radiant. Everyone underneath it looked touched by its light and Luhan thought Namjoo still looked happy even with someone who wasn’t Kai.

“She’s so precious, isn’t she?”

Luhan turned at the sound of Kai’s voice and saw that his eyes were softly beaming as he continued to watch Namjoo.

“Namjoo never smiled much when she was younger,” Kai told, “she didn’t start smiling until she entered high school. Before then, Namjoo never expressed herself. It’s pretty, isn’t it? That smile on her face, I think it’s perfect.”

There was a proud smile growing on Kai’s face as he became more drenched in the love he shared for Namjoo. The shape of his glazed eyes spoke of something very familiar that Luhan often saw in Namjoo’s eyes when her special brother appeared. Definitely, the two of them were very connected, mutual, and in love with each other.

The very space between his very gentle words about Namjoo, it was all there. Luhan could feel it; the depths of his feelings were very surreal. Namjoo was more important to him than anything; she was worth more than both the sun and the moon, maybe even his life in this whole wide world. They were very in love, but it was all so wrong.

Were the two of them silently in pain because of how their fates were intertwined so incorrectly?

“What an interesting sight, just the two of you here?” Chae Yoon asked, taking Namjoo’s empty seat.

Unable to deal with her presence Luhan turned to look elsewhere as upbeat music stole the earlier trance.

“I’m going to the restroom,” he excused and walked away.

“=====”

“Where’s Namjoo?” Chae Yoon started after Luhan walked away.

Kai gestured his head toward the dance floor where Namjoo was enjoying herself in the company of Ki Chan. All he wanted tonight was to see Namjoo enjoy herself, relax, and be free.

“Everyone knows Ki Chan likes her. He’s like a little boy glued to his crush,” Chae Yoon commented.

“Is that so?” Kai asked calmly.  

“Of course,” Chae Yoon answered loudly. “His eyes are always after her.”

She smiled and kind of laughed. Kai smiled too.

“But of course, with someone that pretty everyone would be head over heels for her,” Chae Yoon went on blatantly. “I think even Luhan likes her.”

Kai finally turned to look at Chae Yoon curious.

Nodding, she went on in a conniving manner, “He bought her a really expensive shirt. She’s even gone to his place more than just a few times. Namjoo says it’s because she’s teaching him how to cook, but who knows what they really do there.”

Kai didn’t know that, but Luhan and Namjoo were friends after all. He had no jurisdiction over Namjoo. She was her own person and he his own.

“Really? Namjoo’s really helpful, isn’t she?”

“Are you kidding me?” Chae Yoon wanted to ask, but instead asked, “She’s really talented, isn’t she?”

Kai nodded happily. Namjoo, he believed, was an independent person. There wasn’t anything she wasn’t talented at.

“But,” Chae Yoon went on, “Namjoo’s been rejecting Ki Chan’s advances. I can’t tell whether she’s playing hard to get or if she likes someone else.”

Kai felt the relaxed atmosphere he’d been sinking in dissipate from his lids. Chae Yoon was starting to approach a topic he didn’t like her touching.

“But as I’ve said before, she’s so pretty in such a normal way no man can keep his eyes off her,” she tilted her head and stared toward Namjoo’s direction. “Don’t you think there may have been more than a few times you might have felt attracted to her?”

Kai felt his lids narrow as he glanced at Chae Yoon very quietly.

“But that would be a pretty big embarrassment for your popular family,” Chae Yoon added very coolly as if she hadn’t meant to trigger any harm and smiled away. “Your family’s carrying so much pride; it’d really destroy all the networks you’ve built if the one person Namjoo likes is her own brother. Imagine it, even the business; friends; and partners would flock to leave you. I’m not saying she’s into you, but you know.”

Chae Yoon got up to walk away and immediately let out a shout before joining some girls on the dance floor as if she’d never talked to him at all. 


***Here you can see Luhan measuring the importance of his gift compared to Kai's where Namjoo tried returning his gift, but holds Kai's dearly to her heart. Now Luhan knows Kai also feels the same way about Namjoo that means he'll be the only one who can understand her later on

***Anyway, Chae Yoon's at it again. Her words are going to gnaw at Kai like crazy and Namjoo will be very brokenhearted