I'm...a little Jealous

Lessons from Romance

There was something about the existence of the picture he couldn't figure out. Usually one kept a picture of their most loved one in that spot, so why wasn't there a picture of her family instead? 

Luhan felt his eyes burn into Kai's broad smile and Namjoo's gleaming face. That bright smile she always gave Kai was one she never gave to anyone else. A tight fist clenched his heart the longer he stared at it. That smile...it irked him. 

The quick pounding of footsteps caught his attention and he quickly turned around while closing the wallet. 

"The food's not here yet?" were the only words Namjoo ever uttered to him the whole way to Haenam. 

As they night darkened they fell asleep; Namjoo with her head bobbing by the window and Luhan with his head drooping to the side. When he awoke the sun was just rising bathing the sky in a dusk of a mixture of pretty pink and blue colors. The bright glowing orange orb was slowly and magically rising.

In college many of his friends had gone on dates to watch the sunrise. It was romantic, they'd always told him without explaining further. Luhan had never grasped the reason why it was considered romantic watching the day start with a lover. Why the particular concept?

He caught the movement of Namjoo's head before her eyes opened and she turned sleepily to look at the sky before closing her eyes again. Suddenly he wondered if she'd been working a late shift before the trip. If so, she'd be tired; very tired. 

Turning away from the window he stared at the chair ahead and listened to the silence in the bus drone on. Finally, they arrived at the bus terminal a few hours later. Making their way through the swarming group of people they escaped toward the road outside. As the day was beginning so was the day of everyone else. The sight of taxis lined up along the curb never ceased to amaze him. He and Namjoo quickly caught one before Namjoo leaned forward to hand the driver a piece of paper; perhaps the address to the resort. 

Like in the bus they never talked to each other. At the back of his head he wondered whether Namjoo was giving him the cold shoulder. After turning down corners and bends of woody forests a pale building came into sight. Beyond it were blue waves smashing upon the shore gently. 

When the taxi came to a stop he watched Namjoo open her wallet before handing the driver some bills. It was the sight of the wallet again that grabbed most of his attention and when Namjoo opened the door to step out, he followed. Immersed with pulling his backpack out of the trunk he hadn't noticed the front door of the resort open. 

Ki Chan walked out happily, "You made it!"

"Ki Chan!" Namjoo excitedly greeted. 

"You're here?" Chae Yoon stepped out from behind him with a perky smile on her red lips. "I heard you couldn't come because of work."

Luhan felt her eyes stain his before he glanced at Namjoo beside him. 

"It's good that you're able to make it, lets have a good time," Ki Chan walked over with that overly bright smile of his and took the duffel bag from Namjoo. "Let go in. It's really a masterpiece." 

"Well that makes me excited," Namjoo happily smiled and immediately followed him in. 

Luhan instinctively followed, but as he neared the door he felt Chae Yoon purposely bump shoulders with him. 

"You really came," she muttered. 

Ignoring her he continued inside and followed Ki Chan and Namjoo up the stairs. When he arrived at the top he peered around immediately impressed by the interior design of the resort. The scent of fresh furniture aroused his nostrils when he peered toward the living area and turned upon hearing Namjoo gasp. 

"It's neat! I love it!" He could hear her say. 

"I told my uncle to use the color blue since it's your favorite color." Ki Chan explained. "I told them to use blue sheets too. It's a pretty shade, don't you think?" 

"Of course!" Namjoo disappeared inside and he suddenly couldn't hear what they were talking about anymore, only their voices came out in sounds. 

When Ki Chan walked out and spotted him he said, "Ah...Luhan, your room is over here." 

Walking toward the closed door across from Namjoo's he opened the door. Inside was a Queen size bed with new green bedding, a bedside table, and a desk. There was a window toward the side of the room overlooking the yard outside. 

"I'm glad you came. It's always more fun with a greater number of friends," Ki Chan told. "Lets get to know each other while we're here."

"Oh...sure," was all Luhan was able to manage. 

He still felt awkward with this man. What was it that made Ki Chan want to be so friendly with him? 

"Why don't you unpack and come out? I want to show you and Namjoo the beach. The air's really fresh, so it'd be nice to release some stress." Ki Chan patted his back before walking out. 

Nodding, he watched Ki Chan walk out. Setting his backpack onto the bed he headed toward the window to look outside. The yard was very luscious and green so as the tall healthy trees surrounding it like a protective shield. There was even a red table located before the kitchen door for evenings outside. 

The surrounding environment lent a very peaceful promise. Opening the window he stuck his head outside. The sun shone through just right, covering the whole area with warmth. Even the breeze coming from the sea was fresh and clean. He could clear his head out here and just relax. This was the perfect atmosphere to sink back and just sleep forever. 

Turning around he started out of his room and wondered if Namjoo hand wandered out yet. Walking toward the closed door he stopped and stared at the fresh white paint. Pulling up some courage he knocked and waited, but when Namjoo didn't reply he naturally reached for the doorknob and opened it. 

Namjoo's bedroom had been well decorated. There was even a vase of flowers on the desk in her room and he could tell that the blue sheets had been well draped over the bed. The big fluffy pillows were, as well, covered in blue flowery covers. Ki Chan had taken really well of her room, he thought. Was it to impress her? 

Since the room was empty he realized she had gone out without waiting for him. When he finally stepped outside he stared up at the blinding sun and immediately shut his eyes from the sharp rays. That was when he finally heard laughter and chatter. Far to his right where the waves were splashing he saw Namjoo and Ki Chan sitting cozily on the sand filling pails up with the sand around them. 

Lowering his gaze he stared at the ground realizing that Namjoo was just going to let him be. She hadn't come to make up with him; she'd just come to free herself from the restraints of the world for a few days. Of course, of course she was going to do that. For what reason did she have to use her free time to try and get along with him? This world with Ki Chan and Chae Yoon here was hers and she had all the space she needed to enjoy whatever she wanted, what was wrong with that? 

Yet, it bothered him. From behind, he felt annoyed. Wasn't he a part of it too? Wasn't she the one who'd convinced him to come? If so, wasn't it only right that she lead him around instead of abandoning him like this? But why should she when he was the problem?

Luhan hated his thoughts going back and forth so childishly. What was it he wanted?!

Heaving a quiet sigh he stepped forward and plopped down onto the ground. At first his eyes focused on the wavering sea, counting down to each second when it would hit the shore before he'd look toward Ki Chan and Namjoo. Their sandcastle was coming along just fine as if becoming a metaphor of what Namjoo currently was. 

"Jealous?" Chae Yoon's voice broke his peace as she sat down by him. 

Pressing his lips together he concentrated on the waves ahead and listened to Namjoo scream when their sandcastle was wiped out. 

"I didn't think you'd really come," she said, "but I'm quite relieved you did, but at the same time I'm upset. How was it coming down with just Namjoo? Did you like it when you had her to yourself?" 

Refusing to comment he pressed his lips together before Namjoo suddenly started running along the shore of the beach laughing and screaming. Ki Chan was running after her with the pail in his hand and he watched him place it over Namjoo's head when he caught up. 

"They look good together, don't you think?" Chae Yoon asked. "They should have gotten together long ago. If you're not careful, he just might win her heart." 

Luhan felt his brows move in complete annoyance. Chae Yoon's blabbering was irritating him, but he couldn't tell if it were the things she was spouting or if it was because her voice was annoying. 

Namjoo shouted again when she slipped forward falling down. Luhan felt his mouth gape open in alarm and instinctively started to get up, but stopped when Ki Chan knelt down in front of her and pushed off the pail on her head. He could only hear Namjoo laugh happily just as she always was before he pulled her up and brushed off the sand glued to her knees. 

His eyes hardened and figuring he'd had enough stood up to walk back inside only when he caught Chae Yoon smugly smirking. The corner of her eyes narrowed while she smiled at him as if to say she knew she was right about him all along.
 
Back in his room he paced back and forth suddenly wondering why he was there in the first place. Why had he let such emotions take control of him to make the sudden decision to come down?! He could already tell it would be hell if he had to spend the next few days with Chae Yoon and Namjoo, because no matter what the two of them did something would always come flying at him. All the vexing emotions pent up inside felt like it was boiling.  

He hated himself for coming and he hated Chae Yoon for trying to drive him toward the edge. He even felt angry with Namjoo for suddenly pushing him to the side so that she could enjoy herself with that Ki Chan. Luhan was irritated with everything and everybody. This wasn't going how he wanted it to. Why did it seem like everyone was out to get him?!

The knock on the door made him turn and when the door opened Namjoo poked her head in. All of his clouded thoughts immediately dispersed. For a second he felt himself brighten up at the thought that she was going to talk to him.  

"Come down to eat," was all she said and was all he hadn't expected before disappearing. 

And he felt angry again. Shouldn't Namjoo at least want to confront him for lashing out at her? Shouldn't she...shouldn't she at least have something else to say to him!? She should at least ask him how he'd been doing and what he'd been up to. She should at least be curious about why he'd agreed to come. Was she not curious at all?!

Or maybe...Namjoo was just trying to get back at him...

Chewing his lower lip he pulled the door open and headed downstairs. Namjoo was just sitting down beside Chae Yoon when he walked into the kitchen. The tall Ki Chan was currently pouring out an even amount of foods onto their plates. Quietly, he walked over to take the seat in front of Namjoo since sitting by Chae Yoon was last on his list.  

"Here you go! Warm and fresh!" Ki Chan said as he set two plates in front of them.  

"You're not eating?" Namjoo asked.  

"Chae Yoon and I already had breakfast. We were just waiting for you two."  

"Ah...really?" Namjoo commented then smiled.  

"You should mix it up a little; tastes better that way," Ki Chan said in the seat beside Luhan and even bothered to lean over to mix the food for Namjoo.

Luhan bit his lower lip as Ki Chan pushed him back into his seat uncomfortably. He watched, feeling a little disturbed, as the man took great care of the food on Namjoo's plate. Luhan just wanted to bitterly laugh. It wasn't like Namjoo was a child; she was a pro at cooking so as a pro at eating; why bother mixing her food?!

When Ki Chan finally moved out of his way Luhan chomped angrily onto his spoon.

Should we go to the mart tomorrow and buy some food for a barbeque?" Chae Yoon questioned. "I heard there's fresh seafood at the mart."

"Really?!" Namjoo turned to look at her with wide eyes. "I love seafood!"  

"We could do that," Ki Chan nodded. 

"What about some drinks too? We could play games while waiting for the food to be cooked," Chae Yoon suggested. 

"You're making it sound like a college trip," Ki Chan commented light heartedly. "Sure, why not?" 

They were having so much fun weren't they, Luhan wondered.

When he crawled into bed that night he twisted and turned. No matter how comfortable the bed seemed, he couldn’t set his mind to peace. He was annoyed...just annoyed. Clearing his mind was a useless attempt. No matter how many times he tried imagining emptiness there were always some sort of thoughts rushing back and forth. It was unsettling. 

For long hours the moon shone into his room lightening the area beside his bed brightly. As he lay on his side he suddenly thought about how he'd slept at Namjoo's father's house unable to sleep the first night. Namjoo hadn't been able to sleep that night either. Luhan's eyes flew toward the door and wondered if she was sleeping...or if she was having troubled thoughts like him.  

Pressing his lips together he suddenly got up and opened his door inviting him into the dark room outside. He could see Namjoo's white door well closed. Without a moment's hesitation he stepped out, wondering if they could have a chat. It'd be nice to talk to her, he suddenly thought.  

When he neared the door he discovered that he couldn't find himself to knock. Would Namjoo...talk to him at all; even after all he'd said to her? But Namjoo...was always open minded, she wouldn't ignore him  

Hesitantly, he brought his hand up to touch the knob, but instead just stared at it. He wanted to talk to her, just see her for a bit.

“=====“

Namjoo had been deep asleep, curled underneath the comfortable blanket Ki Chan had prepared for her. She felt her eyes open for some reason and peered around the darkness. Her eyes searched the hue of the white moon for a few seconds before turning to look at the door. There was a feeling she couldn't quite depict; almost as if someone was calling for her. 

Frowning, she tossed the covers off and slowly started toward the door.  

Was someone outside?

Namjoo started to reach for the doorknob, but suddenly lifted her head up to stare at the door. She felt her heart thud, but she couldn’t tell if she was afraid or not. Maybe she was feeling anxious. She blinked a few times wondering if she was just hallucinating. 

Yes, she was just probably imagining things. It was better to go back to sleep. Pulling her hand down she turned around to start toward the bed, but felt her heart thud again. Once again she turned around to stare at the door and this time, finally walked toward it. 

Grabbing the doorknob she pulled the door open to find that no one was outside. Just a complete air of darkness walked back and forth in front of her. She was confused for a few seconds before she caught the sight of the door across from her slowly closing.   


***So...is this trip going to bring them closer or further apart?