Play Victim

Lessons from Romance

Without waiting for his invitation she stepped in. Softly pressing his teeth together he stared at the now empty doorstep while Chae Yoon browsed his apartment. Swinging the door close he turned to her, wondering what it was that she wanted this time. 

"What are you doing here?" Luhan questioned facing her back. 

Turning around to look at him Chae Yoon first smirked, "I've come...to get to know you better." 

Luhan furrowed his brows. 

"Isn't that what Namjoo said?" Chae Yoon reminded still smiling viciously. "That we should get to know each other some more." Turning away to stare into the living room where they often sat together she went on, "Perhaps she's right, because the you now isn't the you I knew. So, lets get to know each other and be friendly."

His eyes traced the movement of her finger as she poked it into his shoulder. 

"Hmm...Luhan?" 

Swatting her finger away gently he told, "Leave, I have a guest coming." 

Raising a brow she repeated, "Guest? Ah...Namjoo? How long are you going to hide me from her?"

Luhan slightly sent her a short glare. 

"I mean, shouldn't she know who I am by now? Why aren't you telling her?" Chae Yoon asked. "What reason do you have to keep lying to her? I don't believe it's just because you don't want to lose a friend; you two were never friends. You don't have friends." 

Luhan continued glaring silently. 

"Why don't you just admit it that you like her."

"Stop it, Chae Yoon." 

"Why?" Chae Yoon asked tilting her head back to look up at him. "Perhaps, is it because you still have feelings for me and you're using her to piss me off; get revenge on me? Fine, I get it. You've got me jealous, I'm angry, so just come back to me already."

Luhan softened his glare a little surprised that Chae Yoon had just admitted what she just did. He'd really thought she'd pull out more of her anger.

"I think you've misunderstood," Luhan stared at her blankly, but with intimidating eyes. "Why would I care about your feelings? The moment you walked out, I already closed the door on you. It may have taken me some time to realize it, but I'm over you." 

"Liar." 

His brows gently furrowed together again. He didn't get it. He wasn't lying, he was sure he wasn't lying.

"Would you have appeared in front of me so easily, again and again if you've really gotten over me? You'd avoid me, because you hate me for leaving you. You wouldn't even talk to me or so much as look my way; you'd burn all memories of me because you despise me that much. I know you Luhan, how you are when you're angry with someone, but this? This is just an act. I know you, Luhan. You want to see me and that's why you're still by Namjoo's side. You first used her to see me."

"You're crazy." Luhan mumbled. 

"Am I?" Chae Yoon's expression seemed amused with his continuous denials. 

He barely bit his bottom lip. He remembered watching Namjoo sleep and recalling how he'd thought numerous times how she looked so familiar, until he realized she was Chae Yoon's friend. At first he had thought to use Namjoo to see Chae Yoon again, hoping and wishing she'd appear in front of him just once. This he would never admit in front of Chae Yoon; not now. 

If Chae Yoon was reading him correctly, he hated her.  

"Why so quiet?" Chae Yoon asked. "Trying to come up with an excuse?" That over-confident smirk climbed onto her lips again, "So you did use her to see me." 

"Think what you want," Luhan grumbled, "but I've never tried to intentionally deceive her."

"Is that so?" Chae Yoon didn't sound very affected. "It doesn't matter, because I know Namjoo better than she knows herself. She'd even offer to beat the hell out of you." 

Luhan lightly gritted his teeth together. 

"Then," he started, "why haven't you told her who I am?" 

"Oh, because you like her," Chae Yoon rose her eyes up to his, "then, are you telling me you'd really have the guts to tell her the truth about you and me?" 

Luhan pressed his lips together. 

"It'd be no fun if I had no challenge."

"Challenge?" Luhan repeated with a surprised, but disgusted expression. 

"Of course, you know I'd do anything for love," Chae Yoon said, "especially, if it's you. To get you, I'd rid of anyone; even if it's my friend. You might like her now, but I'll get your heart back." 

Luhan snorted too stunned by her words. 

"If you like her, then make sure I don't hurt her," Chae Yoon warned, "but if my intuition is wrong about your feelings, I'll still be waiting for you." 

Silently staring at her Luhan felt his mind run in a flurry. What the hell was all he could think. 

"Stop being so confused, Luhan," Chae Yoon told, "and come back to me."

Luhan intently stared at the floor as Chae Yoon brushed by, listening to the door open and close. 

He was angry, yes he was angry at her for leaving him so easily. All he knew was that he was angry, very angry at Chae Yoon for coming back late. Still, he'd always wanted her to come back, so why was he playing so hard to get with her? 

All he knew was that he was furious with Chae Yoon, but did he want her back? 

He would hate himself if she was right.  

Jin Ho shot him a guilty look, "I wasn't supposed to tell you, but you know how Hye Won stopped coming out to han gout with us. The reason was because of Chae Yoon." 

Luhan frowned, "Why? What did Chae Yoon do?" 

"You know how they used to work together at that grilling restaurant," he continued, "one night after closing they were busy mopping. After they finished, instead of dumping the dirty water out Chae Yoon poured it over her to tell her to stay away from you. That's why Chae Yoon quit working there and Hye Won was fired because of the mess." 

Luhan had never known that side of Chae Yoon. She was sweet, she had always been sweet and caring and he'd never known her other than that. Yet, he'd seen her do the same to her very friend. Namjoo had to be mistreated by her own friend just because his attention was wanted. He couldn't understand why Chae Yoon would go out of her bounds to inflict such harm on Namjoo, who clearly believed in her. 

Out of the three of them Namjoo was obviously in the most dangerous position, but why...why hadn't he told her about Chae Yoon?

He wasn't scared and he wasn't embarrassed of Chae Yoon. 

Why...hadn't he told Namjoo about Chae Yoon?

Luhan couldn't figure out the answer and he didn't believe he liked her as Chae Yoon had been telling him. 

There were no such things as intimate feelings for Namjoo. Chae Yoon was just trying to get back at him; make him angry. 

Chae Yoon was wrong...no matter how much she made everything about him right she was wrong.  

She was wrong, she was wrong, she was wrong.  

The knock on the door made him turn around.  

Namjoo was here.
 
Maintaining his calm he opened the door to find Namjoo on the other side readily greeting him with a smile, yet he only managed to stare at her with a somewhat blank and angry stare.  

"Is something up?" Namjoo wondered. "Earth to Luhan."

Faking a smile he stepped back to let her in. Once he closed the door an turned around he discovered Namjoo looking around his apartment with her nose tilted into the air.  

"Did you have someone over?" Namjoo turned to look at him. "I smell perfume."  

He felt his spit stop midway down his throat. Did Namjoo know what kind of perfume Chae Yoon used? Would she be able to connect two and two?  

"Oh," he pulled on another kind of nervous half-smile as his lids fluttered, "yea. Just someone from work."  

But he didn't realize that he hadn't looked at her once.  

"Is that what you've been doing? No wonder you haven't cooked anything for me yet," Namjoo turned to look at him. Then smiling, said, "All right then, if you don't want to cook alone lets do it together."  

And as Namjoo stepped into the kitchen as comfortably as her own his eyes trained themselves on her back, wondering again, why...hadn't he told her about Chae Yoon?
 
"I guess you're right, it's better having someone to eat with," Namjoo continued talking as she walked to and fro in his kitchen busily. "I didn't notice it before, but for some reason I've taken to enjoying company for lunch and dinner, maybe breakfast too. Anyway, you wouldn't believe it at work today. Someone who was shot came in and you know, it's a policy to report such situations. So the police came in and..."

As she went on Luhan felt his mind faze out. For the first time in Namjoo's company he suddenly pictured her as Chae Yoon. Although Chae Yoon didn't cook, she'd still stand around with him as he gathered the few ingredients to mix with their soup meant for dinner. Chae Yoon would sweep her beautiful long hair behind her shoulders and lean over to laugh and smile as they chatted. The way her eyes turned up when her lips curved for that smile he loved was something he loved about her.  

"Stop being so confused, Luhan," Chae Yoon told, "and come back to me."

He didn't want Chae Yoon to be right, because he was not...he was not yearning for her. 
When his eyes rose back up to Namjoo's face he wondered if he'd really used her without realizing it to see Chae Yoon. The evil thought had occurred to him plenty at first, but he thought he was sincere now...but...had he and was he still using her just to see Chae Yoon? Was it really to make Chae Yoon pay for forcing him through all he'd been through? 

No...no, it wasn't plausible enough. Those rollercoaster of emotions he'd been sent through was over and he'd long let it go. It wasn't worth it making Chae Yoon angry or jealous because he didn't care.

"Why don't you just admit it that you like her."

"What?" Namjoo asked and turned to look at him. "What are you staring it? You're starting to creep me out."

"Nothing." He turned away.  

"So what did you and your friend talk about earlier? She should have stayed for dinner, or did I interrupt your plans?"  

Luhan felt her words run in and out his ears, but they didn't transmit understanding to his brain.  

Ignoring her question he asked, "You said we're friends, right?"  

"Of course. We are, aren't we?"  

"Do you believe it?" Luhan asked.  

"What?" 

"Do you really believe we're friends?"  

Namjoo finally turned away from her the food on the stove to look at him. There was a silence as hesitance passed through the room.  

"I know," Namjoo began, "you didn't mean to befriend me. I know you just needed someone to be around."

Luhan felt even more stupefied than when Chae Yoon had been reading him.  

"I also know that even when we have many friends, we still feel alone," Namjoo told.

"You might think I'm a nuisance, but I want to be friends with you. Maybe it's me who needs someone to be around right now."

And for some reason he felt anger rumble from the pit of his insides. Namjoo was stupid enough to fall into a trap; to volunteer herself as a puppet in his and Chae Yoon's life. Or was it her who was first playing with him? 

Did Namjoo know...about him and Chae Yoon, but had kept quiet? Was he the one being put at play right now?  

"To be honest, Ki Chan and Chae Yoon sometimes put me in an uncomfortable spot, so I try not to go to them," Namjoo told, "but I feel comfortable with you." 

Ok...maybe he was wrong. Namjoo didn't know anything about him and Chae Yoon.  

"You're a fool," Luhan first muttered. 

Namjoo shifted a little toward him confused. 

"I said you're a fool," Luhan repeated even louder this time, but with weight to his tone. "I never thought of you as a friend and you still have the guts to bring yourself around? Do you think you're that great? Does the world center around you?" 

"Luhan..."

"Or do you like me?" 

A smile of disbelief popped onto her face, "What? Did I do something to make you angry?" 

"Yes," he nodded his head, "a lot."  

"What is with you?" Namjoo questioned, her brows crossing. 

"You think you're so smart? That you know me, don't you?"

"What are you going on about?" Namjoo asked.

"I...never wanted you around. You're right, I never wanted you to be a friend. I used you, so enough already. I used you to keep you around and you used me to fill up your pathetic emptiness." 

Namjoo's brows jutted deeper into her face. 

"Forget it," Luhan dropped the plates in his hand, "I don't want your food. Just go." 

Nothing came from her. He thought he at least expected her to call his name or something, but she didn't. Luhan recalled he barely knew anything about her and thought she was probably as angry with him as he was with her. Or maybe...he was angry with himself and was lashing out at her. He didn't want to think about it. It gave him a headache. 

Turning around to walk away he stopped after a step, "I'm not going to Haenam, so go by yourself."

Finally walking off to his room he closed the bedroom door and listened for silence.


***Luhan's done it this time! He's just throwing his confusion and anger around. Poor Namjoo :(

***And you know Chae Yoon wants Luhan back, but Luhan isn't going back to her so easily and she thinks it's because of Namjoo (which it might or might not be). Like I've stated before, she'll do anything to get what she wants and she wants Luhan.