Four

6162160

I never thought I love Kai in a different way, not until my appa told me we’ll leave for London after I graduate high school.

 

He held my hand firmly, and wiped my tears with his other hand. “Don’t cry,” he said.

How can I not cry? It’s graduation day. I’m leaving my bestfriend.

He was the bestfriend I had for ten years. He was the bestfriend who protected me from everything that’ll hurt me. He was the brother I NEVER had. He was my knight in shining armor. He was the boy I unconsciously loved. He was my first love.

I was sixteen, and our love ended before it even had the chance to start.

 

I sighed as I looked at the almost-empty house.

My parents are selling this house after we leave.

I’m going to miss this and the memories.

“Do we really have to go?” I asked as mom prepared our dinner.

“Krystal, it’s for the better..” Dad said.

“Sometimes honey, we are bound to do things we really don’t like. You’ll hate it at first, but it’ll be for your own good..”

I nodded, eating my dinner.

“We’ll be leaving by 3 am, princess. Make sure you’ve done everything you have to do.”

“Appa, I’m going out to say goodbye to Kai.”

“It’s already past eight, princess.” He said.

“Kai’s going to pick me up.. he can drop me off too. Please?” I pleaded.

“Let her come darling, those two have been friends since forever.. and you know Kai protects Krystal like an older brother.” Mom convinced dad.

“Okay.. Be sure to be home by-” I cut him off.

“Eleven!” I said, smiling.

“Eleven?” Dad knitted his brows.

“Yeah sure, honey. Make sure he drops you off. Where are you going by the way?” Umma answered, poking dad.

“The riverside..”

“Do you want me to pack you some food?”

“No need, mom. There are lots of stores there..” I said.

 

We were watching the tv, when our door buzzed.

"That must be Kai. I'll get it." Appa said.

"I'm just going to grab a hoodie,  umma." I ran upstairs, and got a grey over-sized hoodie from my closet.

This was Kai's hoodie from school, but he gave to me.

 

I ran down, and heard my dad giving Kai a long speech.

"We're leaving at 3 am. Be home by eleven so Krystal can take a nap before we leave. Call us if something goes wrong. Don't wander around.. Just stay on the riverside. Get her home at eleven, okay?" Kai nodded.

"Yes, uncle." He said.

"Call us if-"

"We get it, appa!" I said hugging him from behind.

"Alright, let them go. So they can have their time." Mom said.

"Auntie, uncle, we'll go now."

"Bye appa, umma. Love you." I said before closing the door behind me.

 

"I don't want to leave." I said as we walked.

"I heard it's beautiful there.." He said.

"This place is much better."

"You're going to learn a lot there. Maybe you'll be an interior designer! You want that, right?"

"Uh..yeah." I scratched the back of my head.

Does he want me to leave? He won't be sad if I leave?

 

I kept quiet until we reached the river.

"Wah! This is really the best place to see the moon!" He said standing, back facing me.

I sat down, and admired the beautiful scene infront of me.

The city across the river is filled with colorful lights and skyscrapers. But its lights can't beat the borrowed light from the sun.

The moon glows as much as it could, and the water reflects that.

That scene itself is beautiful, but Kai added to it.

It's really beautiful.

And it's the last time.

He turned his head, showing me a smile.

I looked down on the grass.

Krystal, don't cry! Don't cry!

I chanted.

 

Kai lifted my face.

"Don't cry." He said, still smiling.

At that moment, it struck me.

On Kai's eyes are tears, wanting to fall.

He is smiling, but his eyes aren't.

He is sad too. He's just holding it in.

"Stupid. Don't hold it in!" I said and hugged him.

“I’m going to miss you a lot.” He whispered, ever so softly.

I heard him sniff, so I tried to break he hug, but he held me tightly,

“Just a few more seconds, Krystal.” I did not move.

Remember his warm hug, Krystal. Never forget it.

And slowly, really slowly, he let go and sat beside me.

“I really didn’t want to watch the moon, the first time you asked me. But since it’s you who dragged me, I came. I swore it’ll be the first and the last time I’ll sit under the boring full moon, but then you were smiling next to me. I realized, I want to see that genuine smile more. So I decided to ask you.. and it ended up being a ‘tradition’ of us.” He smiled, still sniffing.

“We can never watch it together when I fly to London. We can’t even watch it at the same time. We will have completely different timezones.” I said.