Seventeen

6162160

Like any other days, Kai made sure I'm settled in my own car before settling in his.

I started my engine, and waved him goodbye.

I'm still arguing with myself, if I should go see a doctor.

I think I should, but I'm scared.

Something's definitely wrong with my body and I need to check on that no matter what.

Then, I found myself stepping on the accelerator, taking the route to Sul's aunt.

 

After passing the filled up form, the nurse called me to come.

"Hi, Krystal. I've been expecting you to come." She smiled. Based on her cheery expressions and nice thighs, she must be Sul's aunt?

I smiled, and sat down.

"Sulli keeps bugging me to take good care of you."

And with that, the check-up became somewhat like a talk show. Having her talk non stop while examining me. No doubt, she is Sul's aunt. After it was all over, I fidgeted on my seat while she scribbled down notes.

"Perhaps you were too young to notice the signs." She smiled, taking off her glasses and facing me.

We only met a few hours ago, but it feels like I've met her years ago.

She continued speaking, "The metallic taste, the spotting, the missed period, the fatigue. It all goes down to one thing, Mrs. Kim."

Is it somekind of a terminal disease? Am I going to die soon?

"This are medicines that will help you and the baby."

What?

"I-i'm sorry, I think I heard you wrong." I leaned in, and heard her words clearly as she repeated it.

"Congratulations, Mrs. Kim." Smiling, she handed me the prescriptions.

 

 

Lots of things popped on my head when I walked on the hospital’s hallway.

I held on to the bar while I walked, to keep my balance.

This is not planned. This is unexpected. This is too early. No, not that I don't want it, but.. I'm not prepared, I’m actually scared. But atleast I know there's nothing wrong with my system, I'm not sick or anything like that.

I put my hand in my belly, even with all the worries, I automatically smiled. There's a mini Kai/Krystal inside me.

Who do I tell first?

I almost hopped my way to the parking lot when I thought of telling mom first.

 

I pressed the door’s password, and went in. I made sure to do it, silently.

The smell of food cooking hit me suddenly, making me think where mom is.

I made my way to the kitchen, and there I saw mom’s back.

Walking lightly, I hugged her from behind saying “Umma!”

She gasped and held her chest, “Oh honey, you scared me!”

I giggled as she hugged me tighter.

“What brought the princess here?” She asked, taking off her apron as I let her go.

“I have something to ask you.” I looked at her.

“What is it sweetheart?” I leaned on the counter while mom took out tea from the pantry.

I watched her make tea. “You see, there’s some weird things I’m feeling lately.”

“Weird? Hmm.. what things honey?” Pouring hot water, she asked me.

“You know I used to like banana milk, but lately I’m starting to hate it. And there’s this metallic taste in my mouth. And I’m feeling really tired lately.”

“Metallic taste?” She stopped for awhile, and turned to face me, paying more attention to me.

“Yeah. Perhaps you know something?” I looked at her, she paused, waiting for me to speak again.

“And I keep peeing.”

“Honey,” She said, still waiting for me to finish.

“And I missed my period.”

Her eyes grew big, she walked closed to me and held my arms.

“See a doctor, princess.”

I smiled, “I did. Umma, was it hard having me?"

"Ohmygod, honey. Congratulations!" She hugged me. I held her closer, "I never thought it'll be this fast. My baby is having a baby!" She chuckled.

"I was shocked too, umma."

She nodded,"You are blessed, sweetheart.."

"I am.. But I'm really scared umma. Did it hurt? Was it hard?"

She pulled me to sit, "It was hard, honey. But with your dad always right by my side, I had an easier time." She smiled, "And I know, Kai will do that to you. You're facing this together, Krystal. Don't be scared. And mommy's still here, you know."

She brushed my hair, "When did you know?"

"Like an hour ago? I drove here after seeing the doctor, who was Sul's aunt."

"You mean to say, I was the first one to know?"

"Of course, umma." I winked at her.

"This girl!" She laughed.

"When are you telling Kai?"

Right, when am I telling him?

Just then, an idea popped in my head.

I checked the date.

5 days from now, it's going to be full moon.

I smiled, "Soon, umma."

 

I chose to skip work and stay in mom's house, since I already told Sulli beforehand that I'm going to the hospital.

And speaking of Sulli, she's been calling me non-stop. I had about sixty missed calls from her. I deliberately ignored her calls, cause I don't want to tell her the story from the hospital, yet.

Mom's still cooking, but this time she's teaching me.

Since, Kai likes chicken and pasta, mom taught me how to cook it.

We've already cooked the sauce, and now it's time for the pasta.

"You put the pasta, when the water boils, hmm?" She says, opening the lid and throwing the pasta in the boiling water.

I nodded, taking down notes on my phone.

"Then the chicken, sweetie. You know it's cooked when it turns golden brown, huh? And avoid overturning it."

Nodding, I took a bite of the chicken we fried.

"Hmmm!" I exclaimed, munching on the drumstick, "Umma's really a great cook! Why didn't I take after you?"

She chuckled, "You'll learn soon!"

"I wish."

My phone rang and I answered it, "Jagi?" I asked the other line.

"Jagiya! Where are you?"

"I'm in mom's place, why?" I looked at my watch, it's almost six in the evening. I lost track of time.

"Are you home?" I asked him,

"Oh. I got off work early only to find our house empty." He said.

"Sorry, jagi. I'll be there."

"Do you want me to pick you up?"

"No, it's alright. Rest for a while, huh?"

"Okay. Drive carefully, 486."

"Mm. Me too, jagi."

I turned to look at mom who was packing the food already, "Are you going, honey? Take these with you. Just a minute."

"Alright, mom." I said, helping her put it in a bag.

"Give Sulli this cheese sticks, she likes it a lot."

"Yes, mom."

Walking me to the door, she gave me advices.

"And don't stress yourself, honey. It's not good. Eat all the food I packed, it's healthy. Hmm? Call me okay?"

I nodded, and pecked her cheek, "Thanks, umma."

"Mm. Be careful in driving huh?"

"Yes, I love you umma." I said before closing her door.

 

"Jagi?" I called once I got inside our house.

Taking off my shoes, I then wore my slippers.

"Oh, you're back!" He ran to me and took the bags I'm carrying, then he pecked my cheek.

"Are you hungry?" I led him to the kitchen.

"No, not really." I unpacked the food and placed them in the fridge.

"Jagi, the guys are inviting us for a dinner tomorrow, you're free tomorrow evening, right?"

I turned to him, "Yeah sure. It's been awhile since I saw your friends." I smiled.

"Good, then we're going!" He exclaimed.

We sat down the couch and he turned the tv on.

He leaned his head on my lap, looking up at me as I brush his hair.

"How's work?" He asked.

"Uh, work?" I paused for awhile, "I didn't go to work today, I went to the, no I stayed in mom's place." I said, trying to keep my cool.

"Why? You've been missing work a lot, jagi."

"I just missed mom," I said, smiling.

"That's why I suggested she moves in with us."

"Jagi, mom doesn't want to. You know where she is coming from, right?"

He nodded, "Oh, I almost forgot!" He stood up, and went to the kitchen.

He came back with a plastic cup, which had his cafe's label.

"This is a new drink! The barista thought of this, remembering you liked hazelnut frappe and strawberries!" Chuckling, he handed me the cup.

I gulped and took the frappe from him, "Try it, noona!"

I smiled and took a sip, "Mmm." I said, "It's good!" I smiled. This tastes horrible, like really horrible.

"Try it too!" I told him and gave him the cup.

He knitted his brows, "Don't you like it?"

"No! I like it very much!" I took another painful sip.

This metallic taste makes me want to throw up.

He threw me a confused look, “You like it?”

I nodded, “Of course jagi! It’s just that, I am so full.”

“But you always have a special palce in your stomach for frappe. No matter how full you are.” He looked at me suspiciously, but still smiling.

“I had coffee in mom’s place, that’s why.” I took a sip again, enduring the horrible metallic taste. It’s annoying, like really annoying.

“Aren’t you going to wash up?” I stood up, the cup still in my hand.

“Maybe later, I’m still tired.”

“Oh, are you? Then I’ll go first.” I went to the kitchen and put the drink in the fridge.

Then, I took a quick bath and changed into a blue pajamas with monkeys in it.

It’s actually couple pajamas, it was a gift from Sulli. I think she gave us atleast six pairs? And so, every once in while, Kai and I sleep in identical pajamas.