Thirty Five

6162160

Living with mom is good, however I miss him a lot. No calls, no messages. Zero contact. How's he doing? It's been a week since that night. Is he eating well? Sleeping well? Shouldn't I go back now?

I stood up and grabbed a jacket.

I ran outside my room.

"Honey, where are you going?"

"I'm going home, umma."

"Home? Are you sure, Soo jung?" She looked at me, her arms crossed.

"I-I miss him, umma." I pursed my lips.

"It's not yet time, sweetie." She held my shoulders, "Wait a bit more, huh?"

"When's the right time? If he forgets me competely?" I said, sniffing.

"No. No. Honey, I feel that you'lll hurt each other if you go back now. Just wait a little more, huh?"

She pulled me into a hug, my tears darkening her shoulders.

 

Glued to my bed, I heard the door buzz from outside. I sat up and rushed outside, only to find Sehun with a box. I was expecting someone else. Sigh.

"Sulli noona is on her way here." He says, kissing mom's cheek.

"That's great! Your noona here locks herself inside her room, like a depressed teenager." Mom jokes, winking at me.

Sehun chuckles and hands mom the pink box.

"Your favorite, back in London." He said, smiling.

"Aigoo, thank you, Sehun." Mom says.

I knew exactly what was inside the box. Strawberry cake. In London, Sehun discovered that mom and I like strawberries and cream, so he always buys strawberry cake whenever he comes over to our house.

 

Mom disappeared into the kitchen, leaving us in the living room.

Sitting on the couch, Sehun spoke, "How are you?"

"Nothing new." I said, smiling.

"Don't smile if you don't feel like it, it makes me feel you're lying to me."

"Ya." I smiled again, "Why can't I smile when I want to?"

"Your eyes says the opposite."

"Are you here to make me cry? I'm smiling already!" I hit his shoulder lightly.

He chuckles, "Noona, didn't I say I can't take you from him? But I don't think I can live seeing you like this. I want to take you from him. I want to make you happy, I want to see you smile genuinely. I promise I will. But I can only do that if you come to me, willingly. Come to me, noona. I'll stop your tears." Sincerity was in his eyes. Something I failed to notice in Kai's eyes when he spoke those words.

Speechless, I looked at him.

"It's alright. You don't have to decide right away. I can wait." He smiles.

Just then my phone vibrated and the screen lit up.

"Sul?" I answered.

"Unnie! I took a u-turn just now. My stupid brother was caught in a stupid fight, I'm on my way to the police station."

"What fight? Is he alright?"

"Yeah, I think. But he's alive."

"Silly. So, are you coming?"

"I'll see later. I have to beat my brother first, though. But I'll try."

"Oh. Alright." I hung up.

"Her brother was in a fight, she's going to the police station."

"She's not coming?"

"She'll try, she said."

 

The whole afternoon was spent with mom and Sehun, talking about this and that. Time ran so fast, we didn't even notice we've finished dinner already.

"Are you driving again?" Mom asked.

"Yes, auntie. I just started driving the other day."

"How is it?" I asked.

"Better." He said.

"That's good to hear, Sehun. Drive carefully, okay?" Mom says and hugged Sehun.

Sehun nodded and hugged me too.

"Good night." He said.

"Good night!" We said before closing our door.

I back hugged mom, "Umma, you can rest now. I'll do the dishes."

"Really?"

I nodded, "Good night, umma! Love you!"

"Good night sweetheart, I love you too." She said and made her way to her room.

 

I wore the apron and the pink gloves, and started arranging the dirty plates. I the water and let it wash away the oil.

It was when I was washing the glasses when our door buzzed.

Is that Sehun? Perhaps he forgot something.

Taking off the gloves, I went to the door.

I opened it, but there was no one.

I stepped out to look around, but my foot kicked something.

Looking down, I spotted a small book, which looked exactly like the journal mom gave me.

I knelt and picked it up.

Opening it, I found a very familiar handwriting.

The first page was dated the first morning after I left.

"She left last night. I didn't want her to leave, but why did I let it happen?...."