Fifteen

6162160

I held the ladder, while Kai hung the portrait on the wall.

"This looks okay, I think." He said, stepping down.

I let go of the ladder, and walked.

Standing, far from the portrait, I think he did pretty well. It was aligned well.

I gave him two thumbs up, signaling him to go down.

"I'll go get us something to drink." I said while he fold the ladder.

I went to the kitchen, and opened the almost empty fridge. I realized we didn't do any groceries yet, and we're running out of food.

We just arrived the day before, from the trip. We did a little grocery shopping before we left, but now almost everything's eaten.

I grabbed two arizona teas, and went out the living room.

"Jagiyah, there's no more soda for you, have some of my tea." I said handing him the can, "I think I need to do some groceries,"

He opened the can and drank,"No, WE need to do some groceries. I'll go change clothes, then let's go."

"Alright," I sat down the couch, "Grab me a jacket, oppa."

I drank my tea while playing with my phone.

I thought of messaging mom, just to ask her how she's doing, so I did.

I heard the sound of keys, and then Kai's voice,"Let's go, noona!" He said, giving me my jacket.

"Should I drive?" I grinned, as I wore the jacket.

"We should test your skills," he chuckled and gave me the keys.

We went out the house and into the elevator with our fingers intertwined.

 

When we're both seated in the car, I started the engine, "Alright!" I said, stepping on the accelerator.

The whole ride was a bit smooth, Kai kept giving me reminders, trying to get us to the supermarket, ALIVE.

We entered the parking lot, and this is what I hate the most about driving, parking.

I find it real hard to park, especially the parking lot is crowded.

I don't know how many times I moved forward then backward, almost bumping some cars.

Kai gave up on helping me, and laughed instead. Seeing his eyes shut, his mouth open, with his hand clapping, I cannot help but laugh at the situation too.

"Yah! I'm trying to park here!" I said, laughing with him.

And after quite awhile, I managed to park without any damage.

Stopping the engine, and taking the key, we got off.

"Catch!" I said, throwing the key in the air.

"Wow, you did great parking!" He exclaimed, wrapping his arm around me.

"Thanks," I said sarcastically.

We grabbed a cart, and started putting things in it.

"What do we really need?" Kai asked, pulling the cart from the front, while I hung on the back part of the cart, sliding.

"Maybe milk, eggs, cereals? Just get anything you feel like eating."

"Okay, but what's for dinner?"

I gave him a shy look, and said "Let's buy fried chicken on our way out."

He chuckled, shaking his head.

"Yah, you know I can't cook...yet." I hesitated to say the last word, but I did anyway.

"I get it, jagi!" He said, pulling the cart again.

"Get some yogurt, oppa." I said, when I spotted it.

 

We shopped for about an hour, discussing over what type of jam, what brand of cereals, and what flavor of ice cream to buy.  But at the end, we decided to use rock paper scissors, where the winner gets to choose what flavor, brand or type to buy.

"I'll put these bags in the car, while you buy chicken." He suggested.

"Oh, okay." Nodding, I went to the chicken store and bought fried chicken and some mojos.

While I was waiting, my mom called.

"I'm doing alright, sweetheart. Are you?" She asked.

"Fortunately, yes." I giggled, "I'm currently in the supermarket with Kai, we did some shopping."

"Oh you did? That's good to hear, I was worried you guys might starve." She laughed over the line.

"We almost starved!" I laughed.

I saw the ahjumma walk towards me, "Hold on, mom." I said.

 The lady gave me the paper bag. I said thank you and bowed, before walking out the store.

"That was the chicken ahjumma. We decided to eat fried chicken for dinner."

"Fried chicken? Hmm.. Honey, come over some time.. I'm going to teach you some recipes, oh?"

"Alright!" I exclaimed, "Thanks umma! I'll drop by, maybe tomorrow?"

"Okay, anytime is fine with me, darling."

I spotted Kai, standing beside his car. I ran to him, and he opened the car door for me.

"Okay mom! I love you and I miss you!"

"I do too, baby." She said before hanging up.

 

"You'll be back to work tomorrow, right?"

"Yes, honey. Why?" He imitated my mom like he always did years ago.

"Yah." I giggled, "I'm going to mom's tomorrow."

"Tomorrow? Why?"

"I miss her.." I smiled shyly.

"Are you spending the whole day there? I'm picking up your car tomorrow too."

Here's the thing, Kai and I looked for cars the moment I passed the test, then before the wedding we bought one under my name. It was black, the usual cars you see around.

"Maybe? Maybe not.. Do you need me to come with you and pick it up?"

"No, not really.. But you'll be home early, right?"

"If 10 pm is early to you, then I'll be home early." I joked.

"Jagiya!" He said, focused on the road.

"Just kidding, jagi. Of course I'll be home early. I'll be there before you get home. What time are you getting off work?"

"5 pm, I think. Then I'll go pick up your car."

"Alright. I'll be home before that. Sure you don't need me to come?"

"I'm good sweetie." I have to admit, Kai can really really imitate mom's voice, the soft voice that makes you feel secured, he can do it so well.

 

When we got home, Kai and I immediately fixed the goods, placed it in the pantry or the fridge.

After making sure everything's in place, I told Kai, I'm going to take a nap.

There's nothing good to do, plus it's really hot outside, plus I'm tired.

So I made my way to our room, and literally jumped on the bed, the pillows smashing my face.

"Is noona tired?" I heard him ask, and felt the bed bounce a little.

"Little." He flipped me over, now my head's on his shoulder, his arm serving as my pillow. He pulled me closer, and his grip tightened. Then, he leaned on my head.

"Sleep soundly, jagi." He said just before I drifted off to dreamland.

 

I woke up to an empty room, scratching my eyes, I scanned the room. I was alone. I sat up and yawned, pushing the blanket off me with my feet.

I went out the room, and in the hallway I heard some noises, it must be from the tv.

And I was right. Kai was there, watching tv with a yogurt in his hand.

I passed by behind the couch, leaning down, I messed up his hair.

He turned and pinched my cheek.

"I'm hungry, jagi." He pouted.

I took a glance on the clock, and it was already 5 pm.

"I took a long nap, didn't I? Hold on, jagi." I said and walked to the kitchen.

I re-heated the chicken and took out drinks.

"Can we skip rice for tonight?" Placing the chicken infront of him, I asked.

"It's alright." Smiling, he took a chicken leg and ate.

I went back to the kitchen and brought soda to him.

"Jagiya!" He said, giving me a chicken leg too. Taking it from him, I sat beside him and scanned through the tv channels.

 

Without realizing it, we finished the whole box of chicken. "Do you want more?" I looked at him, worriedly. Kai had always loved chicken, back when we were young.  In fact, his love for chicken ridiculousy increased as he grew. And I'm sure a whole chicken, can't satisfy his love for chicken. Plus, we shared.

He shook his head and said it's okay.

"You sure?" I asked again.

He nodded and smiled, saying "I'm sure." 

"If you say so. I'll go clean this up, go and take a shower already." I said, taking all the trash on the table.

"Aren't you showering?"

"Of course I am, jagi." I chuckled, " I'll shower after you. Go ahead. I'll bring out your pajamas."

"Okay, thank you, noona."

I walked to the kitchen when he diappeared into our room.

After cleaning, I went to our room.

Opening the closet, I took two pairs of identical pajamas. I placed both of it on the bed. I knocked on the washroom's door before going out, saying "The pajamas are on the bed,"

With the water dripping, I barely heard him say okay.

I took out a sketchbook and sat down the couch comfortably.

With the pencil I was holding, I drew some lines on the paper.

 

It's been almost a week since I last drew or designed. My hands are missing this so much.

I started off with a few simple boxes and lines, and without realizing it, I was almost finished with a new design.

"Krystal honey, go and take a bath already!

I sighed, there he goes again, copying my mom.

I put down my work and ran to our room,

"Yah. Kim Kai!" I said as soon as I saw him buttoning his pajama top.

"What did you call me?" He asked, walking closer to me.

"Kim Kai, why?" I replied arrogantly.

And with that, he bit my arm. "Yah, Yah! Let go!" He did not let go, but he bit me harder, chuckling.

"Kai!" I screamed, and pushed him away.

"Why do you call me Kai?" He smiled.

I glared at him, "Do you have to bite me?" I said, stopping my tears.

He must've realized he went too far, his smile faded and hugged me. "I was just kidding, noona."

I pushed him off, "It's not funny." I said and took my pjs and walked to the washroom, I heard him call me but I ignored it.

I locked the door, and showered.

It took me thirty minutes to finish and get dressed, and when I went out, Kai was on the bed, playing with his phone.

We locked eyes for a few seconds, then I went out of our room.

Turning on the tv, I sat on the couch.

I was drying my hair with the towel, when he sat beside me.

"Jagiya~" he called.

"Jagi." He repeated, and I still ignored him.

He kissed my arm, and said sorry. I looked at him, and he smiled.

"Sorry, oh?" He asked, then put his head on my lap.

"Just don't bite me like that. It really hurts."

He nodded and cuddled.

"I love you, jagi." He said,

"Me too."