Chapter 9

Beyond What is Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"BEING A GOOD PERSON IS LIKE A GOALKEEPER... NO MATTER HOW MANY GOALS YOU SAVE, PEOPLE WILL REMEMBER ONLY THE ONE THAT YOU MISSED." -JOBANJEET KAUR

 

HYUKJAE POV

 

Thursday, Seoul University

 

Being a graduating student requires a lot more time reading and studying other than any previous years in college not to mention the tedious process to complete a final thesis. With that being said, after finishing an exam I decided to work on my thesis instead of chatting with Minnie for hours. Ever since I joined CJE I’ve learn to use my time wisely and the value of prioritization. Yes my best friend is important so as our friendship but I will not be less of a person if I focus on my thesis today for on Saturday, it’ll be a whole day of chatting, eating, spazzing, eating again and a lot more chatting.

 

As I write down important facts I acquired from reading for almost an hour, I found myself thinking about the incident yesterday…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FLASHBACK….

 

 

When I regained consciousness I was welcomed with the smell of antiseptic which validates my assumption that I’m inside the infirmary. I try adjusting my eyes into the light as I slowly lift my head up from the pillow. Scanning the room, I learned that I’m not actually alone for there’s someone sleeping on my left side.

 

“Wookie…” I called him and that’s when I saw that he’s holding unto my hand while sleeping.

 

I smiled at the sight. Ryeowook is indeed the sweetest dongsaeng anyone could have. Unfortunately for him, Donghae is not an appreciative type of person.

 

Since he didn’t move on my first attempt I tried again, this time I ran my fingers on his oh-so-soft hair, “hey Wookie wake up…”

 

He slowly cracked an eye open and I smile, fingers still fondling his hair.

 

“I’m glad you’re awake.” I breathed.

 

Ryeowook abruptly stood up from the blue plastic chair, helping me to a sitting position, “hyung are you okay? Are you in pain? Do you want me to call the nurse?” he said with obvious panic which I honestly find cute rather than annoying or over reacting.

 

I shook my head and grasp his hand to stop him from leaving, “I’m more than fine now, Wookie. Just sit down and talk to me.”

 

“But hyung—”

 

“Please?” I pouted like a preschooler and all he got to do is sigh in defeat.

 

“Okay but you need to answer me first.”

 

“Deal,” I answered and pat the space on my bed.

 

“How are you feeling? Are you hungry? Thirsty?” he asked upon sitting down.

 

I nodded frantically, “a little hungry but it can wait. So am I clear now… Lixu?” I joked and grabbed his hand in mine.

 

“You sounded like Donghae hyung. Please, you can call me anything except for that.” He frowned.

 

I tilt his chin up and pinch his nose lightly, “Ryeongguuuu…”

 

And for the first time since I met him I finally heard him laugh, addictive laugh that is, and I can’t help but to laugh along with him. For a moment I’m happy he forgot about his hyung. For a moment I felt like this was his true self – happy and free spirited – for a moment I am glad that I made him feel important and loved. As our laughing stock subsided, I suddenly become nervous on how I will ask him about his family… about Donghae.

 

“So you and Donghae hyung are actually brothers… but… your… uhmm… surname—”

 

“My father is different from hyung’s.” He let himself be comfortable on the spot beside me and added, “My parents were not able to marry right after my mom’s departure from the Lee’s. Eomma could have asked for divorce but she was too afraid to face her abusive husband again so both of them waited. I vaguely remember the day I first met Hae hyung. It was on his 14th birthday and eomma cried a lot.”

 

“Your mom left Donghae with his father?” I asked instinctively.

 

Ryeowook shook his head.

 

“It’s not like she planned to leave without hyung because he is her everything. Hyung is the one that strengthens her every time Mr. Lee abuse her but unfortunately on the night they were trying to escape, he caught them. Little Donghae insisted to be with eomma but Mr. Lee threatened her so much that she begged hyung to be with him instead.”

 

Ryeowook squeeze my hand for a moment before he resumes, “Donghae hyung’s father is a manipulative and abusive husband. He doesn’t want eomma to go outside their mansion without permission. For years she was trapped inside the Lee mansion but she never complained because she’s with hyung. One night he came home in a very bad mood and started to accuse eomma of having an affair with one of the company’s stockholder and begun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter