Chapter 31

Beyond What is Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"WHEN THE WIND BLOWS, LET IT COME, STAY AND LEAVE. WHEN THE FEELING OF LONGING COMES, LET IT COME, STAY AND LEAVE. PAIN WILL COME. IT WILL STAY AND LIVE. IT WILL LIVE THEN LEAVE."

 

HYUKJAE POV

 

Two days after that talk I had with Donghae, I forwarded my resume to the HR Department Director, Kim Heechul and he confirmed my interview schedule – Friday, 10am. I was ecstatic with the news all throughout the day that I even called Donghae without thinking that he might be in the middle of filming. Thank goodness he wasn’t and we managed to talk for at least fifteen minutes. On the other hand, Ryeowook and I made a little celebration in our favorite restaurant after class. He reminded me to study about the company, the gestures I shouldn’t do in front of the interviewer and the right choice of words in answering questions.

 

On the day before the interview, Ryeowook forced me to go to the mall after class to find a proper suit. I was hesitant because I don’t have enough money to buy a new suit and I’m actually planning to use the one Donghae bought for me for our first date. I wore it only once and I look good on it, Donghae said so himself.

 

At the mall I almost choke to death when Ryeowook picked three different suits that cost three pay checks each! My God! How can a normal looking suit be hella expensive?

 

“That one suits you best, hyung.” the youngster said while eyeing me in the mirror. “It’s like they made it perfectly for you. What do you think? Should we get it?”

 

He’s right though. This particular suit is just perfect and comfortable. But sadly I can’t buy it.

 

“Wookie, I know you wanted to help by choosing the perfect suit for me but I don’t have enough money to buy this. Its too expensive and I—”

 

From his wallet, he showed me a gold card that I’m sure only rich people can have.

 

“See this?” he waves the card in front of my eyes. “You can buy that suit plus three other, two pairs of shoes, a Rolex or a Cartier watch without any single cent coming out of your wallet.”

 

“What? You actually have a gold card? You’re rich as well?”

 

“I wish this is mine but no. This card belongs to Donghae hyung. Before leaving the house this morning he handed this to me saying that I should buy everything you’ll need for tomorrow. Isn’t he the sweetest?”

 

‘SURE HE IS. BUT YOU KNOW THIS ISN’T ABOUT LOOKING WELL FOR YOUR INTERVIEW ALONE. THIS IS HIS WAY TO HAVE CONTROL OVER YOU.’

 

“Give me that,” he handed me the gold card and I confirmed with my own eyes that it was indeed Donghae’s. Also this same card proves how far we are from each other in terms of money. Hell I don’t even have a normal credit card let alone a gold one!

 

‘HOW MANY TIMES YOU’RE GOING TO DWELL IN THAT MATTER, HYUK? DONGHAE MADE IT CLEAR THAT HE LOVES YOU MORE THAN ANYTHING MATERIAL, INCLUDING MONEY.’

 

“Hyung? Are you still with me?” the familiar voice of Ryeowook pulled me out of my self loathing.

 

I blink a few times before answering a simple yes.

 

“You need to change so we could pay for that.” he glances at his watch. “We have enough time to buy a pair of shoes and a watch of your choice. Sounds good?”

 

Even if I don’t like buying anymore using my boyfriend’s card, the blinding smile of the younger made me change my mind instantly.

 

“Okay,” I smiled.

-----*****-----

Friday, 9:00 am

 

I fix my hair for the last time before walking out of my room and into the living room where my mom is currently bundled up with layers of blanket while sipping a warm tea. She’s currently on leave because of a bad flu.

 

“Lee Hyukjae fighting!” she said hoarsely.

 

“Thanks mom! I’ll be back as soon as the interview is over. Bye!”

 

I place a kiss on top of her hair before going out of the door. The sun is brightly shinning down with air passing through from time to time as if cheering for my big day. I mumble a silent prayer for my dad to guide me before I padded my way towards the bus stop.

 

-----*****-----

Crossfire101, 9:35 am

 

When I arrived the lobby is almost empty except for the guards in front of the revolving glass door and two ladies in the reception desk. I walk over to them and was greeted by warm smiles.

 

“Good morning, sir. How can I help you?” the fair young lady asked.

 

“I’m here for an interview.” I show her the printout letter Heechul had sent me.


“Hold on for a minute.” She said as she makes a call. I guess she’s talking with Heechul or whoever person in charge for today’s interview. After a minute or two she looks at me again. “Sorry but you need to wait until the time for your interview. It’s a company policy.”

 

“It’s fine with me. I can wait.”

 

She turns to the other lady, asking her to accompany me to the waiting area. The said lady walks out, gesturing me to follow her. I thanked the other girl and follow through.

 

“I’ll get back to you as soon as we are given the signal to let you go upstairs.” she informed.

 

“Ah yes, thank you.”

 

 As the lady’s figure grew smaller, I let my eyes wander around the area and was totally amaze with how this place looks classy and sophisticated interwoven with modern technology. Walking further, I noticed that the interior is mostly made of glass and that this room actually has a hundred thousand dollars worth of chandelier hanging proudly up in the ceiling.

 

I’m about to make a call when the lady who brought me here reappeared.

 

“Mr. Lee? Please follow me.” and I did. We make our way towards the elevator panels and as soon as one lift opens its door we walk in and take the ride up to 15th floor. When we reached our destination, I let the lady walk out first as I follow her lead. Our steps halted in front of yet another front desk with a gorgeous Chinese looking lady greeting us.

 

“Ms. Song this is Mr. Lee and he’s here for an interview.” The lady from the reception desk endorsed me to the one she called as Ms. Song.

 

After acknowledging my presence, she thanked the reception lady before allowing her to leave. She then reached for a white folder with Lee Holdings logo in front. I think she’s looking at my resume and other necessary documents.

 

“Lee Hyukjae-ssi?” she asked after a minute.

 

“Yes, I’m Lee Hyukjae.”

 

“I’m Victoria Song.” She closed the folder. “Heechul-ssi forwarded your documents to me and I must say, looking at your grades, they are impressive enough. I think I know why the CEO endorsed you for the position.” She may look intimidating but with the way she spoke, I almost forgot that I was gay.

 

“Ah, thank you, Victoria-ssi.”

 

“Please follow me,” she said and again I tail behind her.

 

We reached the end of the hallway and in front of us is the office of the HR Director. She knocks and we both went inside. The room is like two class rooms combined with black leather couches in one corner. A glass table with several chairs in other corner, near the window. And of course a huge mahogany table with a red swivel chair. Yes it’s not black like the usual one being use by executives but red… flaming red.

 

The glass window allows natural sunlight to come in and also a good spot to look down the busy streets of Seoul.

 

“Heechul-ssi, Lee Hyukjae is here.” Victoria voiced earning the attention of her boss.

 

From what seems like a document, Heechul lifts his head and my jaw almost drop when I learn how pretty he was. His jet black hair is well styled, his eyes, nose, and lips were beautiful just like him. Oh, ! What is happening to me?

 

Our eyes met and right then I confirmed he’s also gay if not gayer than I am.

 

“Good morning, Hyukjae-ssi. I’m Kim Heechul.” He offers a hand and I took it.

 

“I’m pleased to meet you, Kim Heechul-ssi.”

 

“Give us twenty minutes, Vic.” He said an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter