Chapter 30

Beyond What is Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I LOVE YOU AS CERTAIN DARK THINGS ARE TO BE LOVED, IN SECRET, BETWEEN THE SHADOW AND THE SOUL." PABLO NERUDA, SONNET XVII

 

HYUKJAE POV

 

Seoul University

 

Being a graduating student is stressful because of the long hours of lecture, countless exams, projects, thesis, and of course internship. In the midst of preparing for the encore I submitted handfuls of application in renowned companies in Seoul, hoping for at least one of them to call. After the class, Ms. Shang, our adviser, asked me to follow her in the faculty room. I don’t remember doing anything wrong nor did I bully someone in other department to be called in there but I decided to just go and find out the reason why.

 

I let out a heavy sigh before I reached a hand to knock. There was a faint answer coming from the inside that made me push the door open. There was no one inside aside from Ms. Shang who’s currently in her cubicle, searching in one of her table drawers.

 

“Ms. Shang, you wanted to see me?”

 

She lifts her head, acknowledging my presence. “Hyukjae-ssi, yes, have a sit first. Do you want anything? Water?”

 

I walk over to the round table and pull out a chair. “I’m good, Ms. Shang. Thank you,”

 

I heard her mumble about finding it finally but I chose not to comment. The clicking sound of her heels made me nervous again. Before I could process anything rationally, she’s standing in front of me, smiling.

 

“Let’s talk over there.” she pointed at the small conference room on my left side.

 

Leading the way, I can’t help but to admire her curvaceous body that was emphasized with her black pencil cut skirt, lilac button down shirt and blazer. Male students and professors are lusting over her and I finally know why. Okay just to be clear I’m not attracted to her I’m just appreciating what she has.

 

She let me into the room first before closing the door. I occupy the nearest sit because my knees are like Jell-O and if the news she’s about to tell me happens to be negative, I’ll definitely faint.

 

“So, Hyukjae-ssi I asked you to come and see me because I received a call from Choi Group and they are actually considering you for their internship program.”

 

WHAT??? Make it bold, italicized, highlighted! I didn’t even submit a resume to any of their sub companies!

 

“Ms. Shang, are you sure? I mean… that’s good news but I don’t remember submitting my resume to them. Are you sure it’s me?” I clarified.

 

Nodding her head she slides a white envelope with Choi Group’s official logo down the table.

 

“They forwarded a formal letter this morning and they’re expecting you to report within this week.”

 

I hesitantly reached for the said letter but I didn’t have the guts to open it yet.

 

“I know this is sudden and like you said you didn’t consider their company but think about it, Hyukjae-ssi. Choi Group is a well-known company not only in Korea but in Asia and you’ll gain a lot from them.”

 

“Yes Ms. Shang. I’ll definitely think about it. Thank you.”

 

-----*****-----

“Hyung is there something bothering you? You’re surprisingly quite the entire day.”

 

Ryeowook and I are lounging around the spacious living room of the Lee’s after a stressful day in the University. I glance at him and nodded.

 

“You can tell me.” the younger one encouraged.

 

I reach for the letter inside my bag and handed it to him. His eyes almost bulge out of its socket. Is Choi Group really that popular? Okay I sound stupid stating the obvious fact.

 

“Can I open it hyung?”

 

“Sure,”

 

Once he’s done reading it, he turns to me with a gleeful smile.

 

“OMO! They are actually inviting you to join their internship program, hyung! If I’m not mistaken it’s a prestigious program and happens every two years.”

 

“Ah really? Should I go and try?” I sounded forced and unwilling.

 

Looking at me curiously, Ryeowook frowns upon learning that I don’t look excited at all. “You don’t want to go, don’t you hyung?”

 

“Not that I don’t want to go, Wookie it’s just that I feel something different about this whole internship thing.” I sighed heavily. “I don’t remember sending them my resume and all of a sudden I have an invitation to join their prestigious program.”

 

“Maybe they found out about your good class standing or one of your professors endorsed you? Come on hyung you’ll do good. You’re not in the deans’ list for nothing.”

 

“But Wookie I don’t even know about their company I mean I only knew about Renaissance Hotel and Casino and that’s it. How can I pass the interview if I’m not familiar with the company itself? For starters I don’t know who the CEO is.”

 

“That’s what the internet is all about!” he grabbed his Galaxy Note and navigates the search engine.

 

“I suggest you take down important details hyung. Come on I don’t have all day. I need to cook dinner in twenty minutes.”

 

With that I grab my notebook and a pen. “Okay start,”

 

“Choi Group was established by Choi Hanbyul in 1984. Choi Corporation, Renaissance Hotel and Casino and Choi Motors are of their well-known subsidiaries alongside Choi Logistics, Choi Telecom, Choi Engineering and Construction and lastly Choi Cultural Foundation. As of today Choi Group and its subsidiaries are managed by Choi family’s only heir, Choi Siwon.”

 

My hand lost its grip on the pen making it fall in the carpeted floor. Choi Siwon is… is Rachel Kim’s boyfriend and one thing I can’t seemed to forget was the way he looked at me the first time we met in the after party. That predatory look in his eyes made me cringe internally.

 

I wonder if Ryeowook knew about Donghae-Rachel-Siwon complicated relationship.

 

“Uhmm Wookie have you met Rachel?”

 

“Rachel who?”

 

“Rachel Kim. Donghae’s ex-fiancé.”

 

Settling down his Galaxy Note, he eyed me obviously clueless. “I don’t know her. Do tell hyung.”

 

I shook my head. “No Wookie it’s not my story to tell. Ask your hyung instead.”

 

He scooted closer, nudging me. “Please hyung. Please? Promise I won’t tell him you’re the one who told

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter