Chapter 32

Beyond What is Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I MIGHT BE READY TO EMBRACE A SNAKE BUT IF ONE COMES TO BITE YOU, I SHOULD KILL IT AND PROTECT YOU." -MAHATMA GANDHI

 

HYUKJAE POV

 

Instead of spending the weekend over at Donghae’s, I opted to just stay home and take care of my sick mother. Donghae said nothing to convince me otherwise because he himself knew that I badly needed to re-think and re-organize my thoughts before throwing myself to yet another battle field next week. Clearly, President Lee will not let my internship at Lee Holdings be fruitful and quiet because this early I knew she had plans to make my three month stay with them a living hell. Amidst the slap and hurtful words she said, I’m certain that he’s protective of Donghae. I bet my life both my grandmothers will do the same for me but not to the extremes of physically hurting other people.

 

 I hastily pulled myself out of bed to go and start my day. After a quick shower I put on simple gym attire as I’m planning to have a run along Han River and bring home take out for us to eat. Grabbing my phone, wallet and earphones, I shuffle my way out of my room. Before leaving the house, I wrote my mom a note on the dry erase board super glued to the door of the fridge.

 

I’ll be out for a quick run. I’ll bring us foods so don’t bother cook. Just rest and drink your meds.

 

-----*****-----

The morning sun is tranquil and so as the atmosphere surrounding Han River. Since today is Saturday there’s a lot of family either camping or just walking together. Teenagers who are either playing soccer, spazzing over their favorite idol groups or simply having a good laugh out of their silly jokes. Grandparents are busy catching fish and driving down memory lane with their long time partners. Witnessing this simplicity had me thinking my life if Donghae and I hadn’t met and fell in love. Bet that life is much simpler but less happy. I wouldn’t be in this kind of predicament and he’ll still be his grandmother’s straight grandson.

 

‘ARE YOU HAVING REGRETS BEING WITH HIM NOW, HYUKJAE?’

 

Maybe? I don’t know. Sometimes I want to think that it’s normal for couples to undergo a hard phase in the relationship just to come out strong in the end. But since we are not considered normal, I’m thinking that we’re being punished.

 

‘NOW THAT’S IRRATIONAL,’

 

I honestly don’t know what to think right now. A part of me wants to prove not just to President Lee but to the world that I love Donghae not because of his fame and money but simply for him. A part of me wanted to be strong and intangible but I simply can’t. But then there’s also a part of me that’s insecure and scared. Terribly scared with what the future holds. Is love really enough?

 

‘WHY DON’T YOU TALK TO HIM AND SAY THESE THINGS? HE HAS TO KNOW WHAT GOES TO THAT MIND OF YOURS.’

 

No. he has more than enough to handle. I guess its time to do my part. I may not be as powerful as him in terms of money but I can handle things in my own little way.

 

Letting out a sigh of relief, I let my feet drag me again for another lap.

 

-----*****-----

It’s already passed 9 in the morning when I arrived home with two paper bags full of mine and mom’s favorite to go foods.

 

“I’m home!” I sing song as I remove my shoes. “I bought you your favorite. Mrs. Kim gave a free bowl of Hobakjuk after knowing you’re sick.” I padded my way to her in the living room when my steps halted upon seeing a familiar figure sitting across her in the couch.

 

“Donghae-ah,”

 

“Good morning babe,” he greeted.

 

My mother rose from her seat and reached for the paper bags, “let me have these.”

 

“Mom, you’re still sick. You should be resting. I’ll take care of these.”

 

She pats my back assuredly, “I’m a lot better now, son. Go ahead and talk to your boyfriend. I’ll be in the kitchen.” and walks out of the living room. I waited for my breathing to even out before turning around. Donghae is still on the couch, looking handsome in a simple red plaid shirt with white tee underneath plus black worn-out jeans. His shades and phone were placed on top of the table.

 

“What are you doing here, Donghae-ah? You’re supposed to be filming right?” I queried my lover after I settled in the space beside him.

 

“I’m on my way to the location when I thought of dropping by to give this to your mom.” he pointed the basket full of different kinds of fruits nestled below the table. “You mentioned she’s sick.”

 

“A-ah yeah,” I stammer, “thank you.”     

 

Holding my right hand, he brought it closer to his lips and kissed it. “I missed you.”

 

“I missed you too, Donghae.” I smiled.

 

“Would you like to go with me?”

 

“Where to?”

 

“I was invited to inaugurate the second branch of Moldir tomorrow afternoon at Gangnam-do and I’m planning to ask you out together with Kyuhyun and Ryeowook for us to have a double date. It’s been a while since the first time we did it. How’s that sound?”

 

“Sounds perfect,”

 

“Good! I’m glad you accepted, babe.”

 

“Moldir,” it sounds familiar but I don’t remember where I heard it exactly.

 

“It’s a designer brand of bags, wallets and limited edition shoes for both men and women.” He informed. “I’m a regular costumer since the first store opened last year. I’ll introduce you to some of my friends there.”

 

“Introduce me as your what? Cousin?” I asked with a smirk.

 

“Of course not babe,” he kissed my smirk away as I lean against his shoulder. “I’ll introduce you as my significant other. The owner, Kim Jaejoong and his partner, Jung Yunho were like us. The only difference is that they are legally married.”

 

“Married? For real?”

 

“Yes babe, they’ve been married for a month now.”

 

“Wow!”

 

“Wow indeed,”

 

He stayed for few more minutes before saying goodbye to me and my mom.

 

“I’ll call you when I’m on break. I love you.”

 

“Eat well okay? And stay hydrated. Love you too.”

 

-----*****-----

Sunday, 1 pm

 

“Mom, are you sure you’ll be okay here without me?” I raise a hand to touch her forehead for signs of fever. Gladly she wasn’t hot anymore.

 

“Of course Hyukjae-ah, I’ll just sleep the rest of the day anyway so you don’t have to worry. Enjoy your date.” she kissed me goodbye and I walk out of the door in time for the black BMW to stop in front of our gate. Opening the window to the passengers’ seat, I was greeted by the ever so cheerful voice of Ryeowook, his boyfriend in the drivers’ seat.

 

“Get in, hyung!” and I did. Kyuhyun then drive away from our neighborhood onto the busy Sunday streets of Seoul.

 

Our travel time was full of teasing, laughing, and of course bickering of the younger couple. It’s always a good feeling to be with these two. I imagined the older version of them and still together, bickering. Kyuhyun, he may look brat and evil but when it comes to Ryeowook he’s always the understanding one. They may have bad times but it didn’t last long. They make it sure to talk it out once and for all. I guess their foundation is much stronger than I expected. On the other hand, Ryeowook is youngest in the family but his maturity is beyond me. I wished I was as matured as him when I was 18.

 

Once Kyuhyun killed the engine I knew we already arrived. For security purposes, we are escorted inside a five story building and into a medium sized hall that appeared to be the venue of the party. My eyes then scan the room, looking for my boyfriend. I spotted him having a conversation with two good looking men. The smaller of the two is prettier than any woman present in this very room. His blond hair stands out even from a far. The man who has an arm around his waist is muc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter