Chapter 38

Beyond What is Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"LOVE IS THE MOST POWERFUL EMOTION, AND THAT MAKES IT THE MOST DANGEROUS."

 

HYUKJAE POV

 

Today is the third day of Mrs. Kim’s stay in the mansion. From the day of her arrival, her and my mom instantly had a connection as if they are long lost best friends, and they are actually planning to go out this coming weekend. How cool is that! It relieves me to know that I’ll probably not gonna have any in-laws issues in the future because they have such a good relationship. One perks of having Mrs. Kim around is that we are constantly surrounded with delicious foods! That woman loves cooking and she won’t stop until someone tells her to.

 

As much as the food she cooked this morning looks and smells delicious, for a strange reason I don’t have any appetite to even touch the food on my plate. The happy atmosphere is relaxing though. Mrs. Kim is in the middle of sharing some funny childhood memories of both Donghae and Ryeowook when I felt a hand grasped mine under the table. I smile at the act as I open my hand fully for him to entwine our fingers together.

 

Few minutes later, Donghae pushed back his chair and bid farewell to his mom. “Thank you for the delicious breakfast, mama. As much as I wanted to stay longer, I can’t. The filming schedule already lost track for days and I can’t possibly delay anything anymore.” Donghae reasoned.

 

“But you haven’t finished your food yet.”

 

“Believe me, I’m already full. Your magic in cooking never falters. I have to get going. Laters, everyone!” He then turns to my mom. “I’ll take your son now, mom. Bye!”

 

 “Take care, you two.” my mom said.

 

I let Donghae go first since he needs to start the car and ask Ryeowook, “are you not coming with us, Wook?”

 

The youngster shook his head, “my professor is currently on leave and just gave us book review activities until she returns. I do have subjects this afternoon though.”

 

Even though we have three subjects together, Ryeowook still have a handful minor subjects he’s taking this semester.

 

“Oh I see, let’s see each other later then. I have to go, thank you for the wonderful breakfast, Mrs. Kim.”

 

Grabbing my bag on the vacant chair, I give the three occupants a satisfied smile before leaving.

 

-----*****-----

“I already resigned from CJE yesterday.” I told my lover just before I get out of the car.

 

Yes, as much as I want to continue being part of CJE, I can’t possibly do so especially with all the recent happenings surrounding my life that I have no other option but to end it, much to my dismay.

 

“Really? Why not told me last night?” Donghae asks, fixing his fringes on the rearview mirror.

 

“I know how tired you were last night so I decided to let you sleep instead. Are you mad?”

 

“Are you not happy with dancing anymore?”

 

“I love to dance you know that. It’s just that right now I have to focus more on my studies. I could easily go back to dancing once I have my diploma. Priorities, remember?”

 

Donghae nods, opening his arms for me. “I just don’t want you to give up something important in your life.”

 

“You had given up something important as well so why can’t I if it means spending more time with you?” I query, hugging the squishiest man I have the privilege of knowing.

 

“Still, its different.” he reached up to draw circles on my back. “But since you’ve already done it, there’s nothing I could do anymore. I’m not mad. I will never get mad with you again.”

 

Immeasurable length of silence flooded the insides of the car but its something therapeutic, no awkwardness at all.

 

“Sorry if our Japan trip got cancelled because of me.” Donghae apologized.

 

“No need to be sorry, love we can still go maybe after your filming? We have lots of time now.”

 

“But—”

 

“Hush baby,” I let go of him so that I could look at him in the eyes. “As long as we’re together it doesn’t really matter if we get to celebrate our special day or not.”

 

“You’re being mushy today but God I love you.”

 

“I love you more, baby.”

 

-----*****-----

The departmental meeting ended an hour passed lunch time so Mr. Park just asked for takeout. We don’t have the privilege of time when there are a lot of due reports by the end of the month. I never thought I will come to this point wherein I got to enjoy what I do despite the amount of stress I have to endure almost everyday. I always have this fear of committing mistakes though. Mr. Park makes it a point to correct those mistakes but President Lee is another story.  Maybe I’m just paranoid to think that she had someone check on my every move and if that someone reports any negligence on my part to her, even the smallest one, hell will unleash upon me again, and that’s the last thing I want to happen.

 

As I’m savoring my second serving of flavored chicken, my phone starts buzzing on top of my table. I excused myself and hurriedly pick up the call.

 

“Hello?” I answered without even checking who the caller was.

 

“If you think you’ve won just because your lover was able to have the hotel and casino, you’re clearly mistaken. We’ve only just begun, Lee Hyukjae.” I don’t have to check on the number because the voice is familiar – Choi Siwon.

 

Immense fear enveloped my body instantly. I hit on the mute button and turn to face my boss and officemates. “I have to take this call outside. You can have my share.”

 

I quickly went out and entered the nearest emergency exit.

 

“What do you want, Siwon?” I ask after making the call active again.

 

“Meet me and we can talk about this… privately.” He voiced suggestively.

 

“I can’t. I’m at work.”

 

“I didn’t say now.”

 

“Siwon why are doing this? Can you just stop? I can ask Donghae to stop destroying you and your company if you could promise me that you will give us the soft copy and never bothers us again. I can do that.” I try to negotiate in a way I could possibly act upon.

 

A mocking laugh resounded from the other line. “You think Donghae will listen to you? Your lover is a control freak who doesn’t know how to stop controlling everything until his enormous ego got sated.”

 

“You’re like him if not worse.” I blurted out, irritated.

 

“Say what you want to say but it will not change a thing.” He said sternly. “Meet me in the parking bay two blocks from Crossfire101, 5:30 sharp. Good bye.”

 

Before I could even agree, the call already ended. Sighing, I dialed a familiar number and it took him five rings to answer.

 

“Babe, what’s wrong?”

 

“H-he called me. Siwon, he wanted to meet this afternoon after work.”

 

I learned my lessons well and I will not commit same mistakes again. Donghae and I should face this together. No more secrets. Just trust.

 

“Calm down babe. I need details. What time? Where?”

 

I forced myself to regulate my breathing but I’m nervous to death to succeed. I try it again for the second and third time but the results are the same. I hold onto the railing tightly as I feel dizzy and nauseous.

 

“H-Hae… I c-can’t b-breathe…”

 

“Listen babe, try to relax. Sit if you want and breathe with me.”

 

I did what I was told and tried focusing on breathing in sync with my lover. It was difficult at first but we were able to manage it and I found myself breathing normally by myself again.

 

“Are you okay now babe?”

 

“Yes, thank you.”

 

“Can I ask you now about the details Siwon told you?”

 

“Yes,” I swallowed. “He asked me to meet him in the parking bay two blocks from here later at 5:30.”

 

The line is then silent for a while before my lover spoke again. “Don’t go.”

 

“What?”

 

“Don’t go. It’s too dangerous for you. I’ll inform Mr. Park about this and we will think about a concrete plan to handle the situation.”

 

“Hae we don’t have much time. We both have to go back to work. You can’t possibly talk on the phone with Mr. Park while you’re filming.”

 

“What do you suggest we do then?”

 

“Allow me to go and meet him.”

 

“What? No!”

 

“Baby listen to me, and listen to me well. We need to have his idea for us to plan our next move. And for us to know what’s on his mind, I need to see him, listen to him. I know how dangerous this is but this is the only way we can do for now. You could ask Mr. Park to follow us.”

 

“Why are you pawning yourself to him, Hyuk? You said so yourself, he’s mentally unstable. What if he you? I don’t want you to risk your life like that. I promised you that I’ll protect you. Please… let’s think of something else. Not this. I don’t want this.”

 

“Everything’s gonna be fine, baby. We’ll just talk, okay? I have a feeling that this will be the last time we’ll deal with that bastard so just bear it. Now, you need to talk to Mr. Park. Ask him for help. Call me when you’ve come up with a plan.”

 

“No babe, I… I can’t”

 

“Of course you can baby. I have faith in you. Call him now, okay? I love you.”

 

“Hy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter