Chapter 1

Beyond What is Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"THE MEETING OF TWO PERSONALITIES IS LIKE THE CONTACT OF TWO CHEMICAL SUBSTANCES: IF THERE IS ANY REACTION, BOTH ARE TRANSFORMED." -CARL JUNG

 

HYUKJAE POV

 

 

 

 

*RINGGGGGGGG*

 

I tiredly open my eyes to shut the stupid alarm clock off. 

 

“Aishh! How I wish weekends are longer than weekdays.” I mumbled, eyes still not cooperating to open.

 

After battling with myself, I pulled myself out from the comfort of my bed and headed for the bathroom. Minutes passed I came out dressed in a blue printed shirt and black ripped jeans. I’m checking myself in the mirror when I heard a gentle knock on my door.

 

“Come in…” I said.

 

Just then my mom came in, smiling sweetly at me.

 

“Good morning, Hyukjae-ah. Breakfast is ready.”

 

“Good morning, mom.” I picked up my bag from the nearby single couch and walked back to the bed. “I’ll be downstairs. Give me ten minutes.”

 

“Okay, I’ll wait for you then.”

 

When I’m sure that my mom isn’t around anymore, I open up my bag and look for the white envelope I kept the night before.

 

‘I HOPE THIS IS ENOUGH TO HELP MOM WITH THIS MONTH’S EXPENSES.’ I said to myself, smiling down at the said envelope that contains five thousand Korean won that I got from my part time job.  

 

By the way, I am Lee Hyukjae, 23 years old University student. I’m a business major by day and a back-up/choreographer dancer by night. I’m living with my mom in a well-off apartment complex few blocks away from my University. After my dad passed away, mom decided to not marry anymore and just focus her attention to me. I’m proud to say that I’m a certified mama’s boy.

 

I shuffle out of my room and into the kitchen. My mom is currently sipping her morning coffee while reading a newspaper.

 

I walk closer to her and give her a quick kiss on the cheek.

 

“Morning again, mom.”

 

She put down the newspaper and beamed at me. “Go ahead and start eating, Hyukjae-ah. I prepared your favorite strawberry pancake.”

 

“Wow! You’re really the best mom in the world!”

 

“I know right?” she placed a plate full of pancakes and gestured me to start digging in. “chew it properly or else you’ll choke to death.”

 

After finishing three plates of pancake, I’m officially full. I burped none too manly earning a playful slap from the elder Lee.

 

“What’s with the slap, mom?” I said while rubbing the spot she hit.

 

“You’re 23 years old already. You should act with finesse so that you’ll have a boyfriend.”

 

I almost fall down from my seat when I heard my mom utter those words. Seriously she wants me to have a boyfriend? Does she know that I’m gay? How come? I didn’t act as one especially when I’m around her. Is this what they called mother’s instinct?

 

“M-mom? w-what are you talking about? Why boyfriend? I think it should be girlfriend.” I said, feeling uncomfortable.

 

She slide out from her chair and embrace me from behind.

 

“I am your mother and I know that you’re a little different but I don’t love you any less because of that.” she hold me in arms’ length and resume, “you should act according to what you really feel and not according to what the society wanted you to be. I’m always here to support you, Hyukjae-ah. Mom loves you so much…”

 

“Sorry mom it wasn’t my intention to disappoint you or to be a disgrace to this family but I can’t helped it. I’m so sorry, mom…” I gripped her arms tightly, crying.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter