Chapter 21

Beyond What is Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"MOVING ON IS LIKE A BITTER VEGETABLE, IT DOESN'T TASTE GOOD, BUT IT'S GOOD FOR YOU."

 

HYUKJAE POV

 

DAY 1

 

Since 70% of the team left with Donghae, rehearsals for the concert were halted for the duration of the trip or until further notice. My dance classes weren’t that packed anymore because Leeteuk hyung had fixed my schedules for me so I got to have more free days than before. All in all, everything seemed to go accordingly except for the fact that Donghae is not here with me.

 

After finishing my morning classes, I shuffle my way to the cafeteria to have an early lunch. Its thirty minutes to twelve and thankfully the place is not yet crowded. Once I have a tray of food with me, I occupy the table nearest to the glass window that allows me to view the botanical garden outside. Few minutes into eating, my phone pings indicating that I received an email. Using my free hand, I retrieve the device and read the content.

 

From: My Donghae

Subject: I can’t sleep /3

To: Hyukkie

 

Babe,

 

It’s already two in the morning here but I still can’t sleep. Kyuhyun is fast asleep the moment we return back from a five hour recording with other artists. It was fun though. I got to meet old and new groups, some were familiar but most of them were nameless people to me. Enough of me. How was your day so far, babe? I want to see you but I doubt you’d want to see my swollen face right now so I send you a mail instead.

 

I miss you.

 

Donghae

With a smile on my face, I click the reply button and type in my message.

 

From: Hyukkie

Subject: You need to sleep though

To: My Donghae

 

East sea namja,

 

I’m fine, baby. I’m having my lunch right now. You should be a cool sunbae to your hoobaes and give them encouragements. They needed that :)) wait! Let’s do a video call.

 

I miss you too.

 

Hyukjae

I put on my headset before calling him. It took him three rings before picking up. The moment I came face to face with him, my racing heart starts calming down. He’s wearing a blue v-neck shirt and black spectacles. His face is a bit swollen as expected but it didn’t lessen his inborn handsomeness. Sometimes when I’m looking closely at him, I’m convinced that he’s from a manga drawn to make female reader’s ovaries to explode.

 

“Hey,” I greeted him.

 

“Hey there. Have you been eating well?” he asked as he adjusted himself so that it will be easier for me to look at him.

 

“Yes, I am.” I paused to study his face, “you’re not that swollen. I find it cute actually, with the specs and the bed hair. You look like a normal citizen of South Korea.” I joked, sipping a little of my iced tea.

 

He shows cute faces that left me laughing in the middle of a busy cafeteria.

 

“Oh please, don’t flatter me so much. It’s not healthy.” He chuckles, “what’s your next schedule after lunch?”

 

“I still have to attend one more class this afternoon then work on my thesis for two hours   or so then I’ll go home.

 

“You love schooling so much, aren’t you babe? Say, after you finish your degree do you want to pursue your master’s?”

 

“It runs in the blood, I guess. I still don’t know, baby. I just want to focus in finishing my degree first before deciding on that matter. Hey, I think you should sleep already.”

 

“Yeah I guess I have to try harder. Kyuhyun and I have to rehearse in the morning, attend the press conference in the afternoon and host the show in the evening. I’ll call you when my schedule permits me to. Study hard, babe. I miss you.”

 

“I’ll look forward to that. Work harder, baby. I miss you too.”

 

The video call ended with him giving me a virtual kiss in which I embarrassingly returned. I finish up my food and exited the now jam packed cafeteria with a sheepish smile on my face.

 

-----*****-----

DAY 2

 

“Sungmin-ah, why are you asking me about Kyuhyun? I’m not friends with him so please let me study in peace.”

 

I’m currently studying for an upcoming exam when Sungmin approached and started asking me about Kyuhyun. I never mention anything about the latter and Ryeowook’s relationship for the reason that I find it inappropriate to meddle in other people’s personal life may it be my best friend’s or not.

 

“Because obviously your future boyfriend and my ex-lover are like the best of friends so I’m asking if Donghae mentioned something about Kyuhyun and his love life to you.”

 

‘DON’T PROVOKE ME TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH, LEE SUNGMIN.’

 

“What is it to you if he did mention something about Kyuhyun’s love life? It’s not like you’re still dating him.” My eyes widen when realization hit me, “don’t tell me you’re back together?”

 

‘STUPID! YOU KNOW IT’S NOT POSSIBLE!’

 

“No, we’re not back together but we still communicate. I’m just curious about his new apple of the eye. He told me the guy, Ryeowook, is still young, way younger than him, and they’re like together but they’re not. You know complicated bull and stuff. Weird right?”

 

“Maybe he’s weird like that? You should know that side of him because you’re the ex duhh!”

 

“He wasn’t that weird back then but who knows what Ryeowook did to make him like that.” his words were obviously laced with bitterness.   

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter