Chapter 39

Beyond What is Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"EVERY STORY HAS AN END BUT IN LIFE EVERY END IS JUST A NEW BEGINNING."

 

DONGHAE POV

 

Morning came with me having a sore back and a swollen face. Hannah, the nurse from the night shift, lend me a warm blanket for I decided to stay for the night and let the others go home. Sleeping in an awkward position was hard enough but not being able to sleep soundly due to intermittent checking of the nurses was the worse part. Whenever Hannah or the other nurse checks on Hyukjae, even though I’m sleepy, I make it a point to ask what they are doing. I know nurses know what they’re doing but sadly for them, I don’t so they don’t have a choice but to answer my queries. Hannah, being the most hands-on in taking care of Hyuk, is like the little sister I never had. Though the other nurses-on-duty are generally nice, she’s different. In just a span of ten hours I’m already considering asking her to be Hyuk’s private nurse when the time comes that we are allowed in a private room. I think from the man I used-to-be trusting her this easily is a huge improvement.

 

Clearing my still sleep laden mind, I rose from the cushioned chair and walk closer to my still unconscious lover and bent down to give his forehead a kiss.

 

“Good morning, love.”

 

Lacing his free hand with mine, I occupy the space on his side as I continue talking.

 

“Your mom will be here any moment now. She promised she’ll comeback early so that I can still go home to wash up before going to the filming.” I unconsciously start massaging his hand. “I want to stay all day here with you but I’m sure you will not agree with me so I’ll just go and do what I need to do and just comeback by evening. Babe, wait for me okay? I want to be here when you open your eyes. I want you to fight death with me holding your hand. Hang-in there, babe. Don’t die on me.”

 

The door to the room opens and a well-rested Mrs. Lee came into the view. She’s in the usual ICU attire with Hannah accompanying her. She smiles at me as she got closer.

 

“Mom,” I greeted with a shy smile.

 

“Did you even get to sleep, Hae?” she asked after paying her son a longing look.

 

“I did, well I think I did, mom. You came here alone?” I offer her the same chair I used minus the blanket that is now in the hands of Hannah. The young nurse bows at us before going out.

 

“Oh I almost forgot Mr. Park is waiting for you outside with Leeteuk. He said he needed to talk to you before you go to filming.” She informed, instantly grabbing his son’s free hand.

 

“Mom, I know this is not the right place to say this but I chose to say it otherwise.” I look at her directly. “I’m sorry mom. It’s my fault that Hyuk is here. If I was more careful in executing the plan, none of this would happen. I’m... I’m terribly sorry, mom.”

 

She was silent for a while until she reached for my hand, squeezing it assuredly.

 

“We both know Hyukjae is a stubborn man. He will do what he thinks is right even if it takes his own life. I will not hide the fact that you got me disappointed but I’m not mad, Donghae-ah. Knowing my son, he will do this again and again if it means keeping you safe. That’s how much he loves you.”

 

“I know he do, mom and I will do the same for him, always.”

 

“I know this too, Donghae-ah.”

 

I stayed for few minutes more before getting on my feet to leave. She said mama will be here later today together with Ryeowook and that leaves me at peace.

 

I turn to my lover for the last time. “I have to go, babe. Don’t miss me too much okay? I love you.”

 

-----*****-----

Upon exiting the ICU, I noticed two familiar figures standing along the hallway having what seems like a serious conversation. They both stop talking when they sensed my arrival.

 

“Donghae-ah,” my manager calls with an obvious strain in his voice.

 

My eyes shifted to and from the two gentlemen as I remember something I managed to ignore ever since yesterday night.

 

“Is he dead?” I asked coldly.

 

“Yes,” answers Mr. Park.

 

“And the news came out already?”

 

“Not yet. His entire family is still in shock and grieving but a public announcement is to be made later at 9.”

 

Both Hyukjae and Siwon were rushed in the city hospital but then as per his father’s request, Siwon was then moved to their preferred hospital just because his uncle owns it.

 

“Is there something I ought to know before going home?” I ask, eyes never leaving the two gentlemen.

 

“Mr. Choi wants to have a word with you.”

 

“No, I have nothing to say to him and even if I despise his son the most, I also know that they are grieving and I want to respect that as much as I could. Anything else?”

 

“The management wants you to give an official statement because your name is being drag to this mess and you know your standing. Would you like me to handle this for you?” Leeteuk hyung said apprehensively.

 

“I know you will say that, hyung thank you very much. Just make sure the real reason will not be revealed and that there will be no further news about this.”

 

I know it is impossible to hide such a big scoop but for the sake of Hyukjae and my family, I will not take any risk that could backfire on me. Unless the Choi family starts it, I will keep my mouth shut not because I forgiven what their crazed son did but because I knew things will drag longer and to be honest one life is enough. We don’t need to kill each other just to prove who the superior one now.

 

-----*****-----

The news about the death of Choi Group heir has been the talk of the town ever since a devastated looking Rachel Kim made the public announcement this morning. I was a little surprised because it should be done by their spoke person not her but for an unknown reason they made her do it. I don’t want to dwell on their grieving because I have so much to deal with my personal life for them to be an addition.

 

After this day, there will be at least ten more days before the filming ends and I’m looking forward to it to be honest. Its not that I don’t enjoy acting I just want to have more uninterrupted days with Hyukjae. Even though his attending physician is quite happy with Hyuk’s immediate reaction to the medications, I can’t help but feel scared. Each passing hour without me on his side makes me think something will happen again. Seeing my other half barely breathing with the help of a respirator is not something I want to remember for the rest of my life. It makes my heart beats excruciatingly painful.

 

As I’m rehearsing my script for my last scene today, my phone went off and I had to excuse myself to find a more private place to take the call from my brother.

 

“Lixu,”

 

“Sorry for calling you hyung. Are you in the middle of filming?”

 

“Not in ten minutes. Waeyo?”

 

“Well, Dr. Song just ordered for Hyukkie hyung to transfer in a private room.”

 

“Really? Does it mean he’s out of danger?”

 

“I don’t think so hyung but being out of the ICU is a good thing as well right?”

 

“Kind of but I’d rather want him to be completely out of danger than out of the ICU, but, oh well, I think it’s a start.” I glance down at my watch. “Proceed with the transfer, Wook. I’ll be there in 2 hours.”

 

“Alright hyung. See you later.”

 

“Laters,”

 

I was in a good mood after the call and my director and co-actors are rather pleased with it as well. The final scene for the day only took one take and I politely bid my goodbye to them before driving off to the hospital with a quick detour at Café Isabelle to buy some strawberry muffins that happens to be Hyuk’s favorite and also a bouquet of flowers.

 

I arrived an hour passed the visiting hours but since it’s me, they allowed me in without further questions. The room is on the 6th floor, room 620. As I enter the rather large room, Ryeowook who’s reading in the couch greeted me.

 

“Hyung!” he put down his book and shuffle his way towards me.

 

“Wookie,” I smile, giving him the box of sweets and the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter