Chapter 12

Beyond What is Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"TRUE CHARACTER IS REVEALED IN THE CHOICES A HUMAN BEING MAKES UNDER PRESSURE --- THE GREATER THE PRESSURE, THE GREATER THE REVELATION, THE TRUER THE CHOICE TO THE CHARACTER'S ESSENTIAL NATURE." -ROBERT MCKEE 

 

HYUKJAE POV

 

A new day of school started with Ryeowook sitting beside me with yet another thick book on hand. I don’t know if he’s studying for our upcoming major exam or its one of those sappy novels most teenagers love to read. I, on the hand cannot put my logic mind back together after the happenings yesterday. When I came back at the headquarters Leeteuk hyung didn’t scold me for running away but he emphasized the importance of professionalism especially when things don’t go our way.

 

To be very honest even before the unfortunate encounter yesterday, I already have an idea on how I want our performance to be like but after my encounter with Chan Young sunbae, I suddenly felt worthless and all the great things I’ve done in the past flew out of the window completely. And if ever I see him later – which I’m positive nonetheless - I don’t know how I would react. He’s too intimidating and well, y for me to handle.

 

I felt a tug on my sleeve that made me snap back to reality. I turn my head to the source of it and found Ryeowook looking at me concernedly.

 

“Are you alright, hyung? You’re quiet.” he asked.

 

I forced a smile and say, “yeah. Just tired and sleepy. How about you? Donghae hyung told me you two had a talk. Is that true?”

 

“Oh that. Yes we talked and I felt relieved because finally he’s giving me a chance to be in his life though I wish he could do the same to eomma.” he sighed and close the book he’s currently reading.

 

Upon hearing him say the word eomma, the memory of Donghae in tears came into my mind instantly.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Donghae hyung is still not making any efforts to make mends with her. If only he knew how eomma bought his albums, listened to his songs, watched his concerts and talked about him in every family gatherings we had I’m sure he will ask her to finally go back here, or perhaps he will go there himself.”

 

“You mean you guys watched his concerts without him knowing?”

 

He shook his head, “Ani, we only watched him on DVDs. The first time eomma went to watch Hae hyung’s concert, his grandmother asked the head of the security to throw her out of the venue saying she’s a sasaeng fan and that she threatened to hurt his grandson. After that she opted to just watch him in television because of the trauma she had experienced.”

 

“But that’s all in the past, Wookie. Your presence will surely give him that extra push he needed. Say, if ever he invited you and your mom to watch the encore in Japan, will you go?”

 

The petite man hesitated for a second before flashing a relieve smile, “if the doctor permits her to travel, I don’t see any reason for us not to go.”

 

 

 

I then smiled at the thought of a complete family. Everyone deserves it so as Donghae.

 

“Wookie, can I ask you a question?”

 

“Sure hyung what is it?”

 

“Uhmm, do you have a boyfriend? I mean… who’s Kui Xian?”

 

He averted his eyes to the window, watching the outside view as if it’s the most interesting scenery he had ever seen.

 

“He’s not my boyfriend, hyung but he’s someone close to me aside from you and Henry, my best friend in Canada. They’re actually cousins.”

 

Ah! So Donghae is telling the truth about the current status of the two. Will I be rude if I ask him directly why they aren’t a couple? Will I invade their privacy if I did?

 

‘WHAT ME TO PUT ANOTHER TERM FOR THAT, HYUK?'

 

Alright! I know it's inappropriate but still I want to know! Friends shouldn't keep secrets from one another, right?

 

“He must love you enough for him to follow you here.”

 

'SUCH A PUSHOVER FRIEND YOU ARE, HYUKJAE. SERIOUSLY.'

 

“Love me? I don’t think so, hyung.”

 

“What do you mean?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter