When I First Saw Him

I'm In Love With An Idol

Do you ever get the feeling when you just realize that your bias is just never going to fall in love with you? I mean, seriously, we all know that even though Super Junior says they love us, we love them back in a different way. Their definition of love towards us means “FRIENDS” that’s why we’re called “EVER LASTING FRIEDNS”, right? I, for one, sometimes, cry myself to sleep at the painful reality that he’s never going to notice me. He’s never going to look at me like the way those fanfictions say that they do. Saying that they just see you in the crowd and then they realize that, hey! You’re that one and only person whom they’ve been searching for. Do you ever realize how stupid you are for wasting so much on them, updating yourself on their personal needs, knowing when their next album launch will be?

But yeah . . . but we still do it no matter what. No matter what, we, ELFs are still by their side. We are there to support them, defend them when they are bashed by other fandoms. No matter what happens we love them and they love us. 

 AND GOD! What are the odds, right? There are a million girls out there and whhhhuuuuttt? Really? Out of the millions and millions of girls out there, he chooses you!!! Well! You’re one lucky gal, I should really say.

It’s an undeniable fact that being a fan . . . it has its limits. Sometimes, you just want to stop looking at how perfect he is. Sometimes, you just want to stop imagining yourself with him. Sometimes, you just want to live like you never met him.  But we just can’t.

Our biases have become a great part of who we are. They have been the reason why we wake up in the morning. They are the reason why we cry in front of our televisions or computer monitors. They are the reason why we know how to love.

When you look at your bias as he sings, you feel like he’s singing to you and no other woman. When you look at him performing on stage, he looks like he’s been really practicing, which he really did.

My name’s Max and I’m standing in the VIP 2 section of the Super Show 5 Manila. I know girls are screaming and shouting their bias’ name out loud . . . but I just don’t hear them. I was concentrated on how he opens his mouth to say his lines in the song. I was concentrating on how he waved his hands to the fans. I was so mesmerized on how perfect he looked on stage. Too bad, it was their encore performance.

I’ve waited to so long for this moment and after three hours, well, almost four hours of performing on stage, he’s finally saying good bye. I’ve waited so long to see him and when I finally did, I couldn’t help but cry as I stood in the middle of the area, with my hands clasped under my chin and my tears running down my cheeks as a smile unconsciously appeared on my lips.

They were now walking back to the backstage and the fans were just so happy and at the same time . . . sad that the concert was finished.

“Max!” my best friend, Francine, calls my attention, “Let’s go!”

I blinked a few times and then looked at her, “Oh! Yeah . . .”

“Oh. My God! Hnery is soooooooo cute!” Kim, my other friend, fangirls in front of us, “He was sooooo y when he danced ‘Trap’”

I sighed with a big smile but then I felt the need to quench my thirst that I’ve been holding for about seven hours, “I’m really thirsty . . . and hungry. You guys wanna grab something to eat before we go home?”

“I can’t. My mom’s there and she’s waiting for me” Francine says

“So is my mom, Max. Sorry” Kim said and then I nodded

We were about to walk out of the VIP area, when my phone vibrated. I took it out of my bag, reading the name of the person who sent me a text.

 Chinee:

“You still wanna meet prince charming?”

I smiled, “You guys should go ahead. I still need to use the bathroom” I said to my friends

They looked at me and then asked, “You sure?”

“Yeah. I’ll swing by the apartment anyways. I’ll eat there” I smiled at them

“Alright, well, see you tomorrow at school” Francine gave me a hug and so did Kim before we parted ways.

I texted Chinee, who was a really close friend of my mom. She’s older than me by, say, six years? Not much of an , considering that I’m only fifteen.

To: Chinee

From: Max

Where are you?

I texted her and impatiently waited for her reply. I was still standing in the VIP area, tapping my feet and running my fingers through my hair. This is it!!! I really cannot believe that this is all happening. I, Max Lee, will finally meet Cho Kyuhyun! The freaking maknae of SUPER JUNIOR!

Woah! Okay, Max, breathe, breathe! You can do this! Keep you cool! Smile!! Don’t jump on him when you see him!!

“BOO!!!” Damn this woman’s really good at surprises, “What the are you doing?”

“!” I looked at her, “I’m trying to calm myself down, I can’t breathe!” I said

She laughed, “Come on! You’re going to miss your chance at something!!!” she pulled me up, using the small stairs that was connected to the stage. I was stepping on the stage where they performed at! I was standing on the stage where Cho Kyuhyun sang his lungs out!

“Max, you are so lucky I’m your friend” she said, tugging on my wrist more

“And I thank the heavens that you exist” I smiled back and let her pull me harder towards their room. I was smiling the whole time she was painfully pulling on my arm, feeling like it was going to detach from my body but, I didn’t care.

 

 

We were standing in front of their dressing room, with my lips getting sore out of the biting, “Are you sure it’s okay?” I whispered. I could hear their shouting inside, which I assume are just simple talks.

“Yes! I already talked to their manager and since he and I are a little close, he said yes to it. Now, are you going to let this chance pass you by or are we going in there made make you look cute in front of Kyuhyun?” she asked me, her hands on her hips and her feet tapping against the floor.

I closed my eyes and bit my lower lip, “I haven’t even brushed my teeth yet” I mumbled

“What? It’s not like you’re going to kiss him!” she said and then raised a brow at me, “Wait, were you thinking of . . . ?”

“No!!! It’s nothing like that . . . it’s just that . . .”

“OKAY! I’VE HEARD ENOUGH!” she says and then suddenly opens the door of the dressing room. She didn’t even bother to knock on the door!

“ANNYEONG!!!!!” She greeted cheerfully, “Manager-nim! This is Max, the friend I was telling you about the other day” Chinee introduced me

I smiled at the fair and tall man in front of me, “Annyeong!” I bowed. I know, my Korean but please, bear with me.

He bowed and smiled back, “Hello, there!” he said in English. So cute! I can’t believe he’s even Super Junior’s manager, he should be a member!

“HI!!!!” Eunhyuk jumped from behind their manager, “Lee Hyukjae imnida!” he extended his hand out to me. I was shaking as I took his hand in mine. It was so soft!!! I can’t believe this is a hand of a GUY!

“Max” I smiled

“Max, the other members are further inside the room, you should go meet them” their manager spoke.

I looked at him confused, “Would it be okay?” I asked

He nodded, “Of course! I told them about you and they’re really excited to see you!” he patted my shoulder. Oh God! He smelled so good, “Hyuk, assist her and let her meet the other members”

“Ne” Hyuk placed his arm around my shoulder. OMG!!!! He placed his sweaty and muscular arm around my shoulder!!! I can’t believe this! “Let’s go, Max” he said my name! He said my name!!!

We started walking and walking until my eyes land on the flying bag of chips and noise that came from the amazing mouths of my precious idols. They were laughing, I couldn’t understand them. Even if I wanted to laugh with them, I couldn’t.

“YAH! WE HAVE A GUEST!” Hyuk oppa screamed and I was still in my place. They all turned their heads and looked at me. Then, instantly, they smiled at me.

Donghae was the first one to stand and greet me, “Hello! Are you Max?” Wow. He knows my name and Hyuk knows my name, I could die right now.

I nodded, “You’re Lee Donghae oppa” I smiled

He smiled back, “You don’t look like you’re twenty”

I swallowed, “Twenty?” I asked and he went behind me, pushing me towards the large half-circled leather sofa, where the other members were seated. He made me sit between him and Shindong.

“Yes, twenty” Shindong said, “Chinee told us that you’re twenty years old. By the way, I’m Shindong” he extended his hand out to me.

I gladly took it and said, “Max” I shook his hand, “There must be a mistake. I’m only fifteen” I said honestly.

“Ohhhhhhh!!!!!” they all said

I smiled shyly, “I apologize for the confusion” I bowed

“That’s okay!” Ryewook smiled at me, “I’m Ryeowook”

“Annyeong! I’m Max”

“Wow!!! Your Korean is really good!” he clapped

“Pssshh! She only said ‘Hi’ in Korean and it was informal. You call that good?” a guy who sat on the other end of the sofa scoffed. He was playing with his phone or maybe texting someone or tweeting or updating his Weibo. I didn’t care. He looks so perfect. He was what, seven steps away from me. Awhile ago, I just saw him greet his fans goodbye and now, he’s with me, sitting in the same sofa, breathing the same air, staying in the same room!

But . . . he’s a jerk. I like, no, I love Cho Kyuhyun ever since I saw him in the music video, No Other. My heart melted for this man. But now, I know what he’s really like, or maybe he’s just tired? Right? I mean, a four-hour performance is no joke, right? Agree with me here! My head fell and I looked at my fingers, “Don’t mind him” Donghae patted my back, “He’s just tired, that’s all. That’s Kyuhyun, by the way”

Oh. Wow. My bias is a real ! Great.

“I’m Siwon!” Siwon is really tall. But Zhoumi was taller because he stood next to Siwon as they moth stood in front of me. Siwon extended his hand out to me.

I smiled as I looked at him and I took his hand and shook it, “Max”

“Zhoumi” Zhoumi did the same with me

I smiled and then Heechul stood up and then made Donghae move and he sat beside me, “Hi!!” he said in almost good pronunciation.

“Heechul oppa, nice to meet you” I extended my hand out and he took it

“Same here”

“I’m Sungmin!!” he knelt in front of me and then smiled and looked up at me, “Have you eaten yet?” he asked.

“I’m Max. Uhhhhh . . . well, I haven’t eaten anything yet” I said honestly. I couldn’t let this chance pass me by! An idol is asking me if I’ve eaten!

“Just in time! We’re having dinner at the hotel, wanna join us?” Henry suddenly appeared

“Why invite her?” Kyuhyun stood up. Wow. He is tall but a real jackass!

“YAH! WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU?!” Heechul scolded, “We’re trying to make friends here!”

He rolled his eyes, “Yeah right! You know, if you make her feel like that, she’ll be glued to us for the rest of our lives! She’s going to think we’re all close!” he shouted and walked away, slamming the door of another room. It looks to me like an extended area.

Ouch. So, what am I? A leech? ! “Look, thank you for the time but, I know you guys are all tired, I think I should go” I smiled at them and then stood up. I bowed, “It was really nice meeting all of you” I smiled and then walked out.

“No! Wait!” I heard Heechul call but I didn’t bother to look back and bring my hopes up again. I was about to open the door of their dressing room, when someone held me by my elbow. The manager and Chinee weren’t there anymore, maybe they went out of something. Anyway, back to the dramatic exit.

“Stop” he said

I turned around and saw Donghae smiling down at me, “First, I would like to apologize for what Kyuhyun did. He’s evil and rude to us yes but, he isn’t usually like that to people he just met. Especially if it were a pretty young lady like you” he said.

Wait, did he just compliment me? I blushed, I know, I could feel it, “It’s okay. I know you guys are tired anyway and maybe he just didn’t want an---“ “I’ll make it up to you for the bad behaviour of our maknae. Would you like to have coffee?”

Did he just ask me out? “What?”

“I mean, are you allowed to drink coffee? You’re fifteen, right?”

I nodded, “Yes, I’m fifteen and I think you’re already tired. I don’t want to deprive you of your time to rest. Maybe next time?” I smiled at him and then completely opened the door. His hold on on my elbow tightened.

“You’re depriving me of having a great time while I’m here in the Philippines if you’re not going to accept my offer” he tells me.

Oh come on! Really? I can’t do that to an idol! Who am I to deprive him of a happy time? Right? I turned around and he let go of my elbow, “Sure” I smiled at him.

We passed through the back of the Arena, taking the almost dark walkway to walk to the nearest Starbucks Coffee Shop. It was already eleven thirty but Chinee told me that the mall would be open until every customer was out. She also told me that the members had this special privilege to what they call “After Dark Shopping”. This is exclusive for people who are major clients of the owner of the mall and the owner of the arena.

“So . . . you’re fifteen?”

I giggled, “I think I answered your question” I said, “But if you need another confirmation, yes, I am fifteen” I said.

He breathed in and then whistled, “So, you’re in high school . . . any suitors?”

I shake my head, “None”

“Why?” he asked

“Well, for one, I study at an all girls school and second, maybe the guy that I’ve been waiting for is either married, gay or worse, hasn’t been born yet” I tell him with a slight laugh.

“Isn’t that boring? You know, studying at an all girls school?”

I shake my head and shrug, “Not really much of a choice and beside, I kinda like it, you know I get to talk with other ELFs” I smiled up at him.

“Oh. Make perfect sense”

“Yeah” I agree.

“So, no boyfriend, fifteen and an ELF, huh?”

“That’s correct” I nod and tuck my hair behind my ears

Then there’s this sudden and awkward silence. We were just walking and then we reached the cafe. There was no on in the cafe, maybe they reserved it in case Super Junior wanted to have coffee. Donghae made his way to the counter with me and we placed an order.

“Uhhh . . . Vanilla, please, Grande” I said and then turned my head to see Donghae looking at me, “What?” I asked.

He smiled, “Nothing” he said, “Black”

The cashier didn’t know him but was completely swooned by Donghae’s charms. I smiled as I bent my head down and then pretended to play with the menu card.

“Ma’am, that would be three hundred pesos” Pesos would be our money. I pulled out my walled but Donghae placed his hand over mine.

“My treat. Just help me count the bills” he said and then pulled out four one hundred peso bills from his wallet. I gave three of it to the cashier and then gave the remaining back to him.

We took a seat by the window. It was really dark and my dad would really kick my if I’m not home before midnight, which I know I won’t be. Donghae and I just smiled at each other.

“So, how are you liking the Philippines so far?”

“it’s really great! Hot weather, though. I want to go to Boracay one time”

“I’ve been there before and Boracay is to die for, oppa! I mean, the sand is like powder and the late night parties by the beach, gosh! It’s amazing!”

He just smiled at me, like he was amazed to hear all about Boracay. I cleared my throat, “You should visit sometime soon, you know, with the members” I said.

“Yeah, I should”

There was another moment of awkward silence. Good thing, our order came. The waitress was staring at Donghae who smiled back at her and even bowed. I took my drink and then started sipping it. My phone suddenly rings. .

“Dad?”

“Where are you!? I told you your curfew is until midnight! Do you know what time it is, young lady?”

“There’s like this really heavy traffic, dad and besides, I’m eating dinner. I’ll be home as soon as I finish”

“I will talk to you when you get home!” he’s mad. I could tell.

I lock my phone and close my eyes and breathe in, “Is there something wrong?”

“Uhhh . . . oppa, I really need to get home. Thank you, Kamsamnida for the coffee. Bye!” I stood up and ran out of the coffee shop and hailed a cab quickly.

Damn! My dad is such a moment ruinner. But hey, I can’t let that stop  me from realizing how amazing this night has been. First, I got to meet the members and their manager. I got Kyuhyun to be mad at me, though it’s not much of an achievement, but hey! It counts as a moment, right? Hyuk placed his sweaty and muscular arm around me. Sungmin asked me if I’ve eaten yet. And!!!!! Donghae took me out for coffee and  he asked me to help count the bills and we paid!!! This is the most amazing night of my life. I can’t believe this happened to me!!!! Though, Kyuhyun was a little bit of a jerk, like I said, maybe he was just tired, right? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!! FIRST CHAPTER!!!!! THERE'S SO MUCH LOVE!!!!!

XOXO