Rooftop

A Pet of Fate

 

            Below the almost crimson sky, on top of the building, this is where the final face-off will happen.

            “Kim Hyun Joong.” The person owning that name hears a familiar voice behind him. He faces the other male with his current appearance, a worn out man bombarded of hair almost all over his face: beard, mustache and a dull lengthy hair and wearing shabby clothes.

           Unlike the person in front of him, Chanyeol is presentable and beautiful with his brown coat just like how he loved him. Chanyeol’s face tries to be expressionless but his eyes are uneasy, moving uncontrollably from left and right.

            “Chanye—” Before he can complete calling his love with longing, a laugh behind Chanyeol cuts it. Pale huge hands wrap around the boy’s abdomen, the person owning those tilts his head in order to show who he is.

            ‘Damn!

 

Earlier…

            “Are you the one I saw yesterday?

            “…”

            “You always broke your vows on me.” Chanyeol, a little pissed off, smirked while his bottoms are resting on rare of the kitchen's counter.

            “How’d you know I would call?” His ex-boyfriend asked on the other line, making him released a short dark chuckle.

            “I know you. I know that even if I change my number multiple times; you’ll still find it out. I’m used to your surprises… not that surprising anymore like before though.”

            “From what you're saying, you seem to have missed me.”

            “How could that show that I’m missing you?” Chanyeol’s narrowed his eyes, his upper lip before setting them on a thin line.

            “…”

            “Anyway, I actually thought you would call me yesterday but since you did not, I figured you might do it early this morning.”

            “I miss you, Chanyeol.” Something seemed to pinch the younger’s heart with Woobin’s words. “I still… love you and forever will.”

            “You were given a lot of chances to take me away but you’re stupid enough to let it pass and fate looks like it is not on your side as well.” This was how Chanyeol responded with Woobin’s warm feeling for him: cold.

            Because of it, he could feel the man’s heart was broken on the other line. “Yes, I’m stupid.”

            Agreeing to Chanyeol’s frank statement, Woobin was whimpering softly. Chanyeol quickly felt guilty due to it, biting his lower lip slightly.

            “Don’t call me again…” He did not want to say this, yet he did. “… Loser.”

            He was about to hang up, however… “Wait!”

            He did not know why but he placed the phone back to his ear again to hear what Woobin would say.

            “I called because I’m going somewhere. This may be the last time I’ll talk to you so I want us to meet.”

            Chanyeol returned to his icy mood and could not help smirking. “It’s nice to hear that you’re leaving for good. How can I be sure that I’m not going to see you anymore?”

            “I’m going to the afterlife.” Like the world’s end, Chanyeol fell on the floor dramatically.

            His breathing became heavy and unsteady. Why he was he feeling like this? What if this was just a joke? But, simply thinking Woobin would end his life broke a part of him.

            He listened to this man’s speech while he silently cried down sitting at the cold wooden kitchen floor.

            “I don’t know why I’m still spending my days here on earth though everything was gone from me, including you. I’m really not sure what’s my worth here, my reason for living. Now I finally decided, all I want to do for my last moment here is to say goodbye to you, Chanyeol.”

            “Well…” Chanyeol controlled his emotions, clearing his throat to hide what he was feeling inside of him right now. “If you really think that way, then… yes. Let’s meet for the last time.” He wiped his tears on his eyes and his moisten nose. “Where do you want to, huh?”

            Chanyeol carefully listened to him then hung up without giving any notice. After he’s done with the conversation, he climbed up to the counter for him to steady his legs. When he successfully do so, he felt a presence. Someone was standing there behind him.

            “Are you really going to meet him?” His eyes opened widely. Kris must have heard him and Woobin talking. The taller walked closer to him and yanked his phone away from his hand. The foreigner saw an unknown number on his lover's call register, gripping Chanyeol’s phone tightly while glaring at it.

            “I need to stop him, he will kill himself.” Chanyeol said, voice trembling.

            “So what?” Kris could not hide his anger that his tone got high. “Why Chanyeol? Do you still have feelings for him?

            “No.” Chanyeol quickly denied. “I just think it’s not right for a life to be taken away because of me.” Kris sighed at his explanation. “Now if you please, give way for me.”

            “I won’t.” Kris put both of his arms on each side of Chanyeol to block his path and locked him at the edge of the counter.

            Kris’ face was too close to Chanyeol’s, making the younger gulped because he could feel this man’s cold breath brushing his warm cheeks. He was getting awkward although Kris had been closer than this several times. “I’ll let you go but we’ll be meeting him together.” This was Kris’ condition.

            “What?” The blonde smirked at his surprise reaction, little to his expectation this taller man would kiss him.

 

            Kris really turned Chanyeol on. He accepted the taller’s lips, even kissing him back and they ended up having a steamy make out in the kitchen. Both of them could taste the honey and butter from the hotcake they ate for breakfast.

Flashback ends…

 

            Kris keeps on laughing while looking at Woobin as if judging the tallest’s appearance.

            Woobin steps back, unconscious of why he feels embarrassed right now. On the other hand, the foreigner unlinks himself to his lover’s body only to change his spot by going to the younger’s side and shamelessly connect his hands with his. Kris looks so evil; must have been happy of what his rival turns out.

            “Is that really you, Woobin?” Kris informally says, as if he is a close companion of the one he is insulting. Woobin is glaring at him and looks teary at the same time. “Aren’t you ashamed showing yourself as pathetic like that to us, especially to Chanyeol?”

 

            Actually, he is. His fists curl like a ball in annoyance. Woobin right now is the downgraded version of himself from a year ago. His form as a person is more and more diminishing by adding to it the fact that Kris, his mortal enemy, is along with him and his Chanyeol. He considers this phase of his life as the lowest of the low.

            “Why he is with you, Chanyeol?” He angrily asks. Kris teases him more pulling Chanyeol to him for a hug and gripping the boy’s waist hard.

            “Of course, I’ll always be on Chanyeol’s side. I’m now his other half, right?”

            Chanyeol pushes him off because he understands that this childishness his boyfriend is showing to him is painful enough for Woobin. His face shows a little irritation to Kris but he cannot stay being upset like that. Chanyeol is too blinded by his love for Kris and that person knows it smiling brightly at him. Kris is like an angel in front of the younger but turns into a demon if he's behind him.

 

            “Fine!” The couple who is staring at each other snaps back to reality with that hiss coming from the tallest among them.

            They are shocked by the next thing this person did. Woobin’s hair all over his face is fake; the wig falling out of place by the sudden movement. They cannot believe that he still has the guts and time to trick them.

            Woobin, with cold looking eyes, takes his fake beard, mustache and wig off from his face, returning back to the looks he had when Chanyeol was still his lover.

            ‘He’s still handsome.

 

            Since his bare appearance is finally revealed, Kris cannot help but to chuckle at him. The other two stare at the blonde with wonder and surprise.

            Kris glances at Chanyeol, with an evil grin that so big and dark . “How did you manage to have a relationship with this liar?”

            Chanyeol cannot look at him directly after that question and cannot answer it as well. This makes Kris laugh devilishly once again. If Kris thinks this is a farce, Woobin thinks this is a humiliating punishment.

            “Why do you need to bring him along with you? Do you really want to show me how wasted I am?” This situation may be the most disgraceful moment of Woobin’s life; there are only two people in front of him but Chanyeol and Kris are a heavy part of his life.

            “You’re not going to be like that if you were not a dirty player on this game!” Kris maliciously says to him.

            “I’m doing all of this because I want Chanyeol to realize that I’m important to his life, that he loves me, that he belongs only to me.” He replies emotionally.

            In the midst of this flaming confrontation, Chanyeol’s head seems like it’s about to explode. He loves Kris but Woobin is getting his heart again little by little. He is there, standing and remains silent.

 

            “All that I’ve been doing and planning failed and ruined. All thanks to you.” Woobin laughs tiredly. He turns his back to Kris and Chanyeol the soon-to-be audience of his last act, his suicide attempt.

            He steps at the edge of the building and almost seems to fluctuate in the air for a few seconds. He is in the verge of losing his life, ready to jump out of the ledge; finally his life that is full of misery will be done soon.

            Before he can end up his existence, a pair of arms wraps around his torso. He is embraced securely. Suffocating, but it is comfortable and warm because he knows who owns these grasps. Woobin’s smiles as a drop of tear falls from his eyes. He puts his hands on top of that hold.

 

            “I won’t let you die. I love you.” Chanyeol hovering in tears hugged him. At last, Chanyeol unlocks another pretentious wall of his being.

 

            With this… “Chanyeol.” He faces the younger with a relieved expression. Chanyeol answers this with a bright curve on his lips. Their love is blooming again for the second time.

            “What does this mean, Chanyeol?” Not that long, Chanyeol’s real boyfriend awakes him from this dreamy state. “I thought you’re only mine and you loved me.”

            “Kris?” ‘Shoot’ He is so overwhelmed by his reborn feelings for Woobin that he forgets about Kris, his claimed true love.

            Kris takes him away from his connection to Woobin by grabbing his hand. In the middle of it, Woobin chuckles.

            This stops shortly when Chanyeol opens his mouth to explain his real emotion.

            “Let go off me.” Chanyeol firmly says and which obeys quickly.

            Two men stand in front of him in his left and in his right, similar to the dilemma he is facing. They will listen to what he is about to tell them. He does not want to prolong it so he finally speaks.

            “I love both of you and I know this is wrong.” Chanyeol said. “I can’t decide who to choose from among you. If I can just keep you both...” He screams after then. “WHY SHOULD I BE IN THIS MESSY SITUATION?”

            Kris and Woobin understand how tough this is to wish that one of them will be the only person inside Chanyeol’s heart. It is too painful to see Chanyeol would go insane because of them.

            “Chan—”    “You know what. Maybe… I should die.”

            Here we go again. How many times did Chanyeol try to kill himself with this twisted love story?

 

            “What are you thinking?” Chanyeol chuckles faintly with his boyfriends upset reaction. “Are we going back again from the start? This is ridiculous.”

            “If that’s what you want, I’ll go with you this time, Chanyeol. Let’s die together.” Woobin adds, much to Kris’ dismay, agreeing to his lover’s foolish plan.

            “Are you both sure you want to end your lives?” He asks, the two already intertwined their hands to each other as they step on the tip of the building.

            The two ignore his question and will proceed to their suicide together. It seems they are not going to be stopped anymore.

            “Aright, fine! I’ll go with you Chanyeol even that is the other side of our lives.” He grasps one of Chanyeol’s hands, stepping on the edge with them. Woobin smirks due to the fact Kris will not give Chanyeol to him even when death is at stake.

 

            The three of them are ready to end their lives here. At this very day, after the anniversary of Chanyeol’s mind blowing experience.

 

            Before their deaths occur, Kris glances at Chanyeol and Woobin. Both of them look determined with their decision. Kris stares at the red sky in front of him, sighing.

 

            “Chanyeol.” All of a sudden, Kris slams himself to Chanyeol, getting them down to the safe zone. Chanyeol is absolutely flabbergasted of this unexpected motion. His eyes are wide open, now that they are standing on the floor of the rooftop again.

            Chanyeol’s sight shifts to the remaining person on the edge. He is nervous while viewing only Woobin’s back.

            “Hyunjoong!” He shouts. This male tries to free himself from Kris but the latter clutches him tightly.

            Woobin leans on him and smile. Is he going to jump?

 

            No, Woobin hops back to where they were before; Chanyeol’s heart eased.

            “Don’t worry; I’m not going to let my love cry because of me again.” Woobin assures as he comes closer to the couple.

            “Hear that? Stop your selfishness and think wisely of who you want to choose from us.” Chanyeol looks at Kris when this guy puts his hand on his shoulder.

            He shakes it off away from him. “Like I told you, I can’t do it because I love you both. I don’t want to break either of your hearts. I don’t deserve to live.”

            This is frustrating. Kris holds both sides of Chanyeol’s arms and sighs.

            “If you don’t want to be alive, don’t you think Luhan and everyone will be okay with that? How if they kill themselves as well? Do you like that?”

            “Luhan-Hyung?” Chanyeol blinks with anxious face.

            “He is so attached with you.” Kris reminded him. “Do you think he won’t be bothered if he learns you’re dead?”

            Chanyeol shakes his head.

            “It’s ok for me or maybe for him to whatever your decision will be. At least we know what's really inside you.”

            “He’s right.” Woobin agrees to what Kris says. Now that he knew that he has a fair chance to win the boy, he is more confident to compete. “Chanyeol, please tell us who should be the right man for you.”

            “Hyunjoong.” Chanyeol begs is despair.

            “Please.”

 

            Chanyeol stares to the both fairly taller males than him. He thought they would understand that he is having a hard time to decide for his fate. At this moment, he is also thinking why he is given this tough life. All he wants is to be normal like everyone.

            He closes his eyes so he can think of this deeply. As his ideas are arranged, he tries to open his sight again only to view some precious things dangling on his right hand.

 

            There is the white gold ring Woobin gave him on his finger; there is the African bracelet that came from Kris on his wrist. Both of these items are gifts from his birthday last year. He cannot help but to chuckle for not knowing he is wearing those.

 

            “Hyunjoong.” The man he calls has his ears lend for Chanyeol’s conclusion. “Whenever I’m with you, I feel so free as if I am not a celebrity. I learnt to love you because of the effort you exert for me. Thank you for being like that. And, Jiaheng.” Kris is also listening seriously to him. “You are the dream that I’ve been longing to have. It really makes me happy whenever I remember the time you confessed to me. I can’t believe it. I hope we could be together for eternity.”

            “Does that mean you chose him over me?” Woobin asks calmly.

            Chanyeol does not want to confirm but he needs to get serious now.

            “Yes.” Chanyeol just breaks Woobin’s heart for the nth time. Chanyeol tries to holds his hand to get his attention and to explain why he came up with that decision. “I’m sorry, Hyunjoong. I hope you understand. If he is not willing to stay by my side—“

            “Of course.” Kris gets one of his hands to grip firmly. “I’ll be with you forever.”

            “If you’re really set your mind and heart with that choice, I guess I don’t have any way to oppose on it.” Woobin sincerely says. He looks more carefree like he always did before, beaming at them. “Go on, take Chanyeol with you. Make sure you will never make him cry.”

            “Sure, will do.” Kris releases Chanyeol’s hand simply to place his arm around his shoulder.

            Chanyeol feels protected from the warmth of his lover; still, he is not positive if the other man is truly okay with this.

            “Hyunjoong.” His eyes value this time that he is seeing Woobin.

            The latter is gazing at him as well; Woobin’s view will only be for him. The tallest suddenly sneers without any reason, making Chanyeol puzzled.

            “I told you I won’t be killing myself, okay? They said as long as your love is happy, you will feel the same way. And right now, I’m experiencing that.”

            Those words coming from Woobin are very touching for Chanyeol. He leans closer to this guy and whispers his final statement for him.

            “Hyunjoong, we’re still young. You may not know; our fate will rotate for another turn again and it will favor on you.” Chanyeol smirks before he moves away from Woobin and gestures to Kris that they are leaving.

            They leave the former actor riddled of the last sentence he said.

 

           As they walk away, Kris is actually finding a moment to have Chanyeol alone. Thankfully, he is Chanyeol’s chosen man. But, he is wondering what his lover meant of the words he whispered to the other tall guy earlier. When he is able to comprehend with it, at the alley they pass on, Kris presses Chanyeol on the wall there and kisses him.

            The younger is shocked by this unexpected intimacy in the wrong place and wrong time. Maybe not a wrong timing, because maybe Kris is just celebrating his victory of having him. When Kris is done devouring the boy’s lips, Chanyeol was about to ask the reason of that act. Not that fortunate, Kris speaks before him.

            “Don’t think I did not get what you said.” Kris pecks on his plump chops once more. “I want us to get married as soon as possible so that jerk will not have a chance to get you from me.”

            Kris kisses him again this time more intensely and sensual. The foreigner starts ing his coat too, seems like this is going somewhere

 

            “Hyung, not here!

 

~Fin~

A/N

Miss this?

Still greeting everyone a Happy New Year!