Chapter 17

It's Me

 

After the not-so-ok phone call, you went out of the room to ask for the address of Dr. Lee’s house when the scent of pancakes, bacons and coffee entered to your nostrils. Your stomach grumbled in response to the smell.

After admiring the scent, you were disturbed by how his house looks.

“This is more like a mansion.” You mumbled as you inspect his house.

You continued inspecting the view and you didn’t notice that Dr. Lee came out from his room and he’s fresh from bath.

“Admiring the view eh?” Dr. Lee said pulling you back to the reality.

You looked at him and you saw that he changed from sleepwear to something casual.

“I ask Mrs. Jung to buy clothes for you if ever you want to bath first before going home.” He said showing his pure concern.

“Thanks.” You replied blushing again.

Damn! Why do I always blush?!

“Sir, breakfast is ready.” A woman who’s in his 40s appeared as she bowed at Dr. Lee.

“Thanks Mrs. Jung.” He replied and turned his attention back to you, “Let’s go.” He said and smiled again. That same smile he gave before going back to his room.

 

You followed him to the dining area. You had a chance to explore his place more and it made sense to you now that this is a vacation house that’s similar to a mini-mansion.

Dr. Lee pulled a chair for you. He gave a quick smile before sitting.

He’s a real gentleman.

“Let’s eat now.” Dr. Lee announced happily.

You watch him eat. He’s similar to Kyuhyun when it comes to eating breakfast and that made you smile. He finished his food before you start to pour the honey to your second pancake.

“Do you always eat like this?” Dr. Lee asked as he wipes his mouth with the napkin.

You nodded. “I consume an hour to eat because I might get constipated.” You replied.

He chuckled at your answer. “You really care about your health Mrs. Cho.” He said.

Damn! Why does he keep on addressing me with a ‘Mrs.’?!

“_____, Dr. Lee that’s my name. I’m not used to be called as ‘Mrs.’” You replied. You thought that maybe it’s good for him to call you by your name.

“Ok then. Hyukjae is my name _____.” He smiled again, he reached his hand for a handshake and you willingly took it.

“Nice to finally meet you _____.” He said as he shook your hand.

“Me too Hyukjae.” You replied returning a warm smile.

 

The whole breakfast, he waited for you to finish. He asked you some questions like where’re you from, where did you graduate, and he even got a shock when you told him that you’re a model. He thought that you’re more into business. You asked him some questions too like why did he became a doctor. He even told you the story of his first love which made you wonder why he’s telling this to you.

“She was the one who pushed me to become a doctor. She helped me in every way she can. She even gave up her dreams of becoming a ballerina for me. But fate is really cruel. She has a cancer. I can still remember the words she said before she passed away. ‘I asked you to become a doctor so that you’ll be the one who’ll take care of me.’” He story-telled. But even reminiscing those cruel times, he never forgets to smile.

“After she died, I found myself volunteering in different cancer hospitals and after I recovered from the pain, I came back to my original track and here I am, a doctor in vacation here in Jeju.” He explained and smiled for the nth time already.

“You’re on a vacation yet you’re still working?” You asked after realizing what he said before he smiled.

He nodded. “I’m at the nursery department when you were rushed at the hospital. Since the doctor in charge at that time had an emergency too, he asked me to place him first.” He explained professionally.

“By the way, I’m going to a day care center today, should I drive you back or you’ll ask your husband to pick you up?” Hyukjae asked, informing you that he has plans after this conversation.

You thought of the real reason why you came out of your room earlier. You were so immersed with the conversation and the thing that he shared to you that you forgot that you’ll ask for the address of his house so that Kyuhyun would able to fetch you.

Wait, he doesn’t have a car. I should go back myself.

It took you minutes to answer because you thought of Kyuhyun might go out again with Jaehyun and you’ll be alone by yourself again.

“Uhmmm… Actually I don’t have plans for today. Can I go with you… Hyukjae?” You asked as you pushed your luck. You wished that he’ll say yes because it’s been a long time since you saw cute little kids laughing, running and playing around.

Shocked. Hyukjae was shocked on what you replied. There was a glint of surprise too. Then he gave you his gummy smile.

“Sure.” He replied, excitement painted all over his face.

 

Hyukjae asked Mrs. Jung to buy some new clean clothes for you. While waiting for the new clothes, Hyukjae took his time to tell you more about his experiences on being a doctor. His smile is always present and you can feel the happiness on his voice.

After not a long wait, Mrs. Jung came back with 3 paper bags. “I hope this would fit you Ms…” Mrs. Jung said as she hands me the 3 paper bags. “You can call me _____ Mrs. Jung.” You replied and accepted the paper bags. Mrs. Jung smiled at you and went off to the kitchen.

Hyukjae was gone to prepare before Mrs. Jung came. You went back to the room that you supposed was a spare room.

 

“Ready?” You heard Hyukjae knocking.

You opened the door and a smile is immediately plastered on his face. “You look pretty.” He commented.

 You blushed as he examined you from head to toe. Then you just gave him a sweet smile.

“Thank you. Mrs. Jung has a nice sense of fashion.” You replied.

“Let’s go now. The kids are waiting.” Hyukjae announced and both of you went to his car and drove off to the kindergarten. 


Another update. :)