35 - Grandma-dizzle

Yours, mine, ours

c/to: monsterLea

c/to:monsterLea

 

 

 

 

DARA

 

 

 

Saturday is finally here and I look like .

 

No amount of showering could make me feel better about myself after the night that I had. Don’t get me wrong, I did brought it upon myself but I don’t think I deserve to feel like I’ve just been kicked heavy in the head just because I’ve unleash some inappropriate behavior last night. Why can’t I be one of those women who read books to take their mind off of something bothersome? Instead I became the woman who turns to alcohol and forgets what inhibition means.

 

As I was saying, instead of being really pretty today, I look like . Jiyong’s family’s gonna flipped when they see me and say: ‘Who is that homeless person Jiyong is with?’ or ‘I didn’t know Dara is this old.’

 

“You wore that skinny jeans to torture me today didn’t you?” Jiyong asks softly while taking a U-turn on the highway.

 

“What?”

 

“Your legs look extra-long in those jeans I wonder how it would feel like to have it wrap around my waist.” He said with a wink.

 

“Oh…” I huffed. Trust your boyfriend to make you feel better. “If everything goes well today you might know the feeling.”

 

“Yeeesssss!!! We should totally have in my old room.”

 

“Oh God, no. I’m not having with you on your parents’ house. That’s just wrong.” I said crossing my legs to prove a point. “We should be on our best behaviors. They’ve known us to be co-workers who doesn’t get along well with each other. If we show up suddenly all touchy-feely, they’re gonna think we’re joking and probably laugh at us. I think it’s important that we break it to them gently.”

 

“I beg to differ.” He said as he stopped at a red light and then reached out for my hands that is resting on top my lap, turned it palm-up and then folded it inside his hands. “Here’s what I think, Why don’t we give them the shock of their lives and introduce you as the future Mrs. Kwon?”

 

My eyes went wide, “Jiyong!”

 

“No? The future future Mrs. Kwon, perhaps? Or would you prefer the future mother of my children?”

 

I squeezed his hands, “Will you be serious?”

 

“Alright, my dirty little lover,” He says with a wink before turning his attention back to the road as the light turns green. “Whatever you want.”

 

We pull up to the Kwon’s family home on the outskirts of Seoul twenty minutes later. The house was large, and beautiful, and held so many of Jiyong’s childhood memories. I’ve been here a couple of times before, mainly to run an errand for Jiyong. But today…

 

I turn to him with mildly panicked eyes, “It’s going to be weird, isn’t it? What if I jump at you because you look so hot? And in return, you’d be staring at my chest because you’re a -man. What if I touch you inappropriately? Or what if I kiss you?”

 

“I’m fine with that.”

 

I pinched his arm.

 

“Ouch! Ok. Dara, calm down.” He swerved his arm so he can place a soothing hand on my lower back. “Don’t be a lunatic. It’s going to be fine.”

 

I held eye-contact with him to clarify if he’s telling the truth or just consoling me. I can’t figure it out. My eyes are seeing blur behind my glasses! “Can we drive around your neighborhood? I just had a really bad headache, hang-over. I think the midol gave me sudden allergies. Actually, I have period cramps.”

 

“I think you’re just a little freaked.” He stated.

 

“Oh my God! You think?!”

 

“Why don’t we go inside so you can calm down?”

 

Before I can say anything else he got out of the car. Adrenaline made me do the same thing. I barely got to the sidewalk when his hand seized mine. Jiyong half-walked with me, half-dragged me toward his home.

 

I did some yoga breathing up until we reached the base of the walkway and then their main door opened, expelling his sister, Dami, clogging my airways with a gasp when she ran to my side and cling to my other arm opposite Jiyong. I attempted to let go of Jiyong’s hand but he was quick to squeeze it tightly. I did my best to hide our hands from his sister.

 

“I heard a weird noise from outside here and I just knew that it’s my idiot brother’s car pulling over.” She said.

 

“Gee, I miss you too, sis.” Jiyong answered.

 

“It’s so good to see you.” Dami ignored him and talked to me. “The last time I saw you, you have your hands in Jiyong’s neck. How are things with you? I hope you don’t have a boyfriend just yet. Mom had a surprise for you.”

 

I barely heard anything she’s saying when Jiyong yank my hand and push us out of the sliding door towards their backyard, coming face-to-face with a middle-age looking woman I instantly concluded as his grandmother. I put on a big smile on my face and pull my hands out of Jiyong’s grasp to introduce myself when she cuts me off.

 

“You,” she said, looking at me from head to toe.

 

Blood drained out of my body as a memory from last night surfaces out of my brain.

 

 

 

“Are you kidding me with this ?! Dara, hold my purse. Hold my goddamn purse!” Bom yells indignantly.

 

“Our car is right over there.” TOP stopped her by the waist.

 

I trip over the back door of the cab and opened it to see a middle-aged woman rummaging through her bag. I stick my head in.

 

“You’re welcome, -face. Now go get home and yourself. Beotch!”

 

 

 

I am horrified as and Jiyong’s grandmother stood in front of me, giving me a cocky smile when she sees that I have made a connection to who she is. After a few painstakingly quiet moments, she took my hand and shook it firmly then went on to give his grandson a kiss in the cheek and a few pats in the shoulder before walking away to sit on her chair in the table, settling her smiling eyes and judging smirk on me.

 

damn! Can a person die from humiliation? Because....I volunteer!!

 

“Dara, sweetheart.” Mrs. Kwon greeted coming out of the other door. “I’m glad you’re here. When Jiyong told me that he’d be bringing you over, I was so ecstatic. A friend of mine wanted me to set his son up with someone and I immediately thought of you. I think its destiny that he’s looking for someone and you just happened to be single and present at this very moment. I’m so excited for you two to meet.” She said in one breathing.

 

I can’t believe Mrs. Kwon. Here I am, dying out of embarrassment because of what I did to her mother last night and all she could think about is pimping me out.

 

Well, it’s not like she knew anything about my drunk and disorderly behavior. Stupid me.

 

And as if my misery isn’t enough, Jiyong just had to start acting up.

 

“Mom, Dara is already my girlfriend. You can’t introduce her to anybody else. What’s the matter with you?” He casually said taking the seat beside me.

 

Mrs. Kwon flinched and stepped back. Her expression went from excited to stunned in a matter of seconds.

 

For a moment there, I completely forgot about my embarrassment towards Nana. I felt borderline awkward with Jiyong’s whole family standing there (Nana is already sitting) gaping at me like I just announced that I wanted to go to Pluto for summer. I really am considering it right now. Maybe I’ll take Jiyong and leave him there with just half a tank of oxygen.

 

God, just kill me.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

The lunch commence with as little as conversation as possible, meaning nothing at all but quiet exchange of glances. I can tell that they’re trying to be discreet about it but they’re not very good actors. Partway through the meal, Dami spoke.

 

“Okay, I can’t take this anymore. Dara,” She called me out. She was partly yelling even though I was just across her. “Why are you dating my brother?”

 

The sting of her words pierced through my soul. Gosh, she sounded so pissed and didn’t even try to hide it. I was gonna say something but all I can come up with was “Umm…”

 

“Is it a pity thing?” She asked.

 

What? “What?” I voiced out a little after I think of it.

 

“Is Jiyong dying?”

 

Huh!

 

“Is he threatening you? Damn it! Is he holding you up against your will?” She continued and I just stared, too scared to answer.

 

“Very funny!” Jiyong voiced out beside me. “You’re just envious because you haven’t brought home any decent boyfriend yet. I think the problem is on your side. Fix that attitude up a little, will you, noona?”

 

Jiyong then winced beside me and I have a strong feeling that Dami just kicked him under the table. I didn’t have time to contemplate on this because she started talking again.

 

“Dara, I know he’s my brother but seriously?! Jiyong?! I don’t understand. Did he poison you with love potion? That’s the only acceptable reason. Or maybe you just have an because if that’s the case then I can still help you.”

 

Part of me wanted to cry tears of joy because I understand now what Dami is trying to say. The other part just wanted to cry for my poorly suppress boyfriend.

 

Mr. Kwon, who had been quiet, suddenly narrowed his eyes on me. “You’re really his girlfriend?”

 

“Yes.” I manage to say.

 

“This isn’t just some sick game you two are playing?”

 

“Uh, no…is there something wrong?” I was suddenly starting to really feel self-conscious. I thought they liked me apparently not as Jiyong’s girlfriend.

 

“Nothing other than the fact that you are the first and only woman he’s ever brought home. We were heartbroken when he insisted that you were just his manager because well, we thought you were such a catch. You’ll have to forgive us if we seem surprise now. For a moment there I thought hell had frozen over.” He explained.

 

“Dad,” Jiyong growled in warning.

 

Mrs. Kwon continued in a gentler manner, “We were just dumbfounded by your announcement especially since we are witness to how you were in each other’s throats these past years. I think this is a surprise of a lifetime for us.” She shrugged.

 

“Plus, she’s clearly too good for you,” Dami added, his attention towards Jiyong before returning to mine, “Do you owe Jiyong any favors? I’m still wondering how he managed to get you to agree with this .”

 

“What the hell are you talking about?” Jiyong asked, forking beets out of my plate after replacing it with green peas from his plate. “Is it so hard to believe that we can fall in love?”

 

“U-huh.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Yup.”

 

They simultaneously answered.

 

Of course this made me smile. If there is one person in this world who cannot believe that Jiyong and I are pukingly, disgustingly, and utterly in love with each other. That’ll be me.

 

“This is crazy.” Jiyong his hands in the air. “Is this how it normally goes when a man introduces a woman to his family? Do they usually think of it as a joke? I thought you wanted me to bring home a decent woman. Well, here she is. Shouldn’t you be getting all excited and trying to push for marriage and grandbabies at this point? What is wrong with you people?”

 

He did not just encourage his family to do that.

 

His mother looked thoughtful for a moment. “Nothing is wrong with us and you know we probably would push for something like that but we’re still processing things up.”

 

Whoever was in the door chose that time to buzz in.

 

“Oh that must be Jae-hyun!” Mrs. Kwon smiled at me excitedly. “You two would make a lovely couple.”

 

“Okay, that’s it. We’re done here. You tell whats-his-face to stay the hell away from my girlfriend.” Jiyong said, pointing at his mother. He then turned his finger on the rest of his family. “Just know that at this moment I hate all of you.” They rolled their eyes and threw me a knowing look. I got to smile at them a little bit before Jiyong drag me inside the house and up to his room.

 

Once inside, “Let’s just stay here for a few minutes until that guy leaves. I don’t want you to see him.” he said, sitting me on the bed as he scopes out the window.

 

“What’s eating you? You’re the one who wanted me to get chummy with your family—“

 

He cut me off with a glare. Omo!

 

“And you think meeting up with some stranger would gain you their approval? That really doesn’t make sense, you know why?” I shook my head. “Because you’re already dating their son!! That’s why.”

 

I couldn’t help it anymore. I’m full-on laughing now.

 

“Of course you find this hilarious. What? You’ve bonded over the mysterious case of how Kwon Jiyong landed a woman like Sandara Park. Go ahead, laugh it up. My misery sure is a funny joke to all of you.”

 

“I’m sorry…” I said in between laughs. “I—you’re just so cute for words. I’m sorry.”

 

“Stop laughing. This is serious. I’m genuinely hurt here.” He said which made me stop laughing but only a little. He continued, “I wouldn’t argue with anyone when they say that you’re too good for me because you are. There’s no question about that. It just hurt that my own family wouldn’t believe me. I maybe an but I’m not a liar. I wouldn’t lie about anything especially something concerning you.”

 

Um…wow.

 

Isn’t my man awesome or what?

 

“Ji, if it’s any consolation, I think you’re the best thing that ever happened to me. I was super nervous about laying our relationship down on your family because well, I’m not that good with parents. Mine didn’t stick around long enough to teach me on how to deal with my boyfriend’s parents.”

 

“Oh my God, Dara, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean--,”

 

“But…” I cut him off. “You’re family made it easy. They’ve always been so nice to me I don’t know why I was freaking out about them knowing about us. I have known all along that Dami had always thought you’d bring home a stripper one day or how you’re mom hoped for someone to straighten your act up. They just didn’t expect it to be the crazy girl who’s not afraid to hurt their only boy in front of them. I’m sure they’re glad that you’ve thought about dating me. They didn’t mean to hurt you.”

 

“I’m pretty sure they do.” He said as a joke.

 

We were laughing at our situation when someone knocked at the door. She didn’t waste another second and just open the door.

 

It was my new friend, Nana.

 

“I was hoping I could catch you to in some heated action. What were you two laughing about?” She greeted.

 

Um…heated action? Eeek!

 

“Nothing,” Jiyong answered. “Did that guy leave already?”

 

“Nope.” Nana answered popping her ‘p’. “You’re mom explained the situation already but he still insists on meeting your girl.”

 

“What?! Does he want me to rip him apart? I’ll show him.” That was all he said before leaving me.

 

Alone.

 

With Nana Kwon.

 

Shee-it!

 

I stared at the door where I last saw Jiyong and his safe accompaniment.

 

Nana, (I should probably stop calling her that considering the much more colorful names I just gave her last night WHEN I WAS STUPIDLY DRUNK!) was sitting beside me and I can’t quite figure out if she’s staring and/or glaring.

 

Please be just staring.

 

I braced myself and furtively glance at her direction. It was a passing glance but I’m pretty sure she was just staring and smiling. The kind of smile you give to someone who committed a grave mistake to an elderly woman who turned out to be your boyfriend’s grandmother and is now sitting beside you giving you that exact smile I just recently describe. You understand where I’m going with this, right?

 

Anyway---

 

“So, you’re dating my grandson.” She crossed her legs and examined the framed photo on the bedside table.

 

“Yes, ma’am!” Ma’am? Really? Could I get any dorkier?

 

“Ma’am?” She snorted and then moved closer. Why is she moving closer? “I think I prefer the ones you gave me last night.”

 

She put an arm around my shoulder and I think I just had a mini-heart attack. Or maybe a . Which is the one that makes one say: “Madam Kwon---“?

 

She smacked my arm with the same hand that is wrapped around my shoulder. “Now, it’s Madam. For ’s sake, girlie, get a grip.”

 

“I’m really sorry about last night.” I blurted out. “I was nervous about today so I got a little alcohol in me. I would never have done anything remotely close to what I did if I was on my right mind.”

 

She laughed, “You called that a little? Damn, I can’t wait to see you get plenty of alcohol.”

 

“He-he…” Yeah, that was me and my awkward laugh.

 

“You know I’ve heard a lot of things about you. Whenever I ask about Jiyong, they’ll be like: ‘Oh, don’t worry about him, Dara’s taking care of him. Dara this, Dara that. You sure charm your way around this family.”

 

“Yeah, well, I’ve been around…” I said, overwhelmed that my brain started functioning despite the fact that she’s holding me on a tight arm-hug. Gosh, she’s strong and she’s like what seventy? Wait, she doesn’t even look seventy. Maybe she came upon the fountain of youth in one of her many travels and drank half of it. I wouldn’t put it pass her.

 

“I say, you being around sure is great. I was here when that boy got all depressed and because of a break-up. We didn’t know how to comfort him because well hell, we didn’t even know that he was in a relationship. It was just sad and he was pathetic. I’m glad he’s bounced back. A thank you should be in order, I presume.”

 

I wish one of these days; I can meet this ex-girlfriend of his so I can smack her treachery right out of .

 

“I don’t think you should thank me. I mean, I merely give Jiyong distraction. When I was just starting to be his manager, he gave me a lot of . I just gave it to him back, twice. He doesn’t like it when someone’s more annoying than he is. And we’re both stubborn so all we do is pick-up a death match with each other. YG building is a constant war-zone when we’re at it. We broke a lot of things.”

 

She laughed a naturally hoarse sound which made me smile. I guess this means I’m forgiven. Hell to the yeah!

 

“I always knew you had mettle in you but you came in with a whole lot of spunk too. I’m glad you’re dating my grandson. I don’t know anyone else who can handle him and this crazy family that comes along with him. Hang in there, Dara, because you’re in for a crazy ride.”

 

“Are you kidding me? I’ve been riding crazy since birth. I even drive sometimes.”

 

She laughs again. I’m such a comedienne. Ha!

 

“Hey…umm...” ! I realize I didn’t know what to call her. Nana is too presumptuous. I don’t think beotch will be appreciated in this budding relationship either, let alone -face. The Grandmother? Big Mama Kwon? Granny dizzle-pizzle? Why does my choices sounded like rap gods?

 

She must’ve realize my melancholy because then she supplied, “Nana. You can call me Nana.”

 

Aww. I’m allowed to call her Nana. Initiate happy dance now.

 

“Nana,” I began. “I really am sorry--,”

 

“Stop apologizing for last night. If you hadn’t noticed, I didn’t even care about that anymore. All I knew was that I met a wildly drunk girl last night who made me laugh the whole time I was riding the cab and she turned out to be my grandson’s girlfriend. Think of it as God having a wicked sense of humor. You can’t help but cracked at it”

 

Indeed.

 

“Why were you there last night anyway?” I asked.

 

“No reason, really. I just want to greet Jiyong a quick ‘hi’ but then decided against it. It’s an old people thing. You wouldn’t understand.”

 

I think I do. Gosh, am I old?

 

“What are you ladies up to?” Jiyong interrupted carrying inside the room his pet dog who I hate a little. “Say hi to mommy.” He said shoving the barking dog into my face.

 

I stood up and slid away from them.

 

“You afraid of dogs, Dara?” Nana asked.

 

“I’m not. I just particularly don’t like it when they bark at me.” I explained.

 

“It’s a dog, D. Of course it’ll bark. Would you prefer it to meow, then?” Jiyong teased. Damn him. He knew how I used hate it when he uses Gaho as a last resort to annoy the crap out of me. “Come here and hold him. He misses his mommy.”

 

“Since when did I become a canine’s mother? That’s ridiculous.”

 

Gaho kept barking.

 

“See, he’s calling for you. ‘Mommy, mommy’” He imitated a baby’s voice. What the hell!

 

“And now you speak dog? If I say ‘play dead’, will you both drop down?”

 

“Ha-ha. Will you just hold him?”

 

“No.”

 

“Dara, if you want our relationship to last, you should be able to hold Gaho. He’s part of our family.”

 

I gave him a snarky laugh. “Did that guy, Jae-hyun leave already? Maybe I should catch a ride with him.”

 

He stood still for a few minutes then gently said, “Nana can you take Gaho for a little walk? I needed to teach his mommy a lesson.”

 

Nana left immediately with a smirk.

 

With a squeal, I turned to follow her just as Jiyong’s strong arms came around me, pulling me back into the room. He kicked the door at the same time he threw both our body into the bed.

 

“You naughty, naughty girl. Do you know what I do to naughty girls?” He asked biting my left ear.

 

“Umm, we’re in your parent’s house, Ji. Your family is just outside, in the garden, doing ascetic things…stuffs.” It might sound that I was resisting but really I was giving in easily.

 

“Not the answer I was looking for---,” We heard a dog barked from outside the room. Extremely loud barking.

 

Jiyong swore and buried his face into the mattress beside my head.

 

“Did Gaho happen to swallow a megaphone? He is so loud.” I commented.

 

Jiyong stood up to open the door shouting at the dog. “Shut up, you -blocker!” Gaho came in running straight the bed and jumped at it in one swift motion, sat down beside me, tongue hanging out, and tail wiggling.

 

“What do you want from me?” I asked him. The dog. I’m speaking with the dog, people.

 

“Pat his head.” Jiyong suggested.

 

I carefully did just that and he took this as an invitation to jump in my lap and get comfortable.

 

“I’m so jealous of that dog, right now.” Jiyong said.

 

“Are you serious?”

 

“Yeah, he gets to feel your skinny jeans-wrapped legs with his fur. Damn him.”

 

“Don’t listen to him. Daddy is just joking.” I cooed the dog. What have I become?

 

“Hey, now seriously,” I looked up to Jiyong who was still glaring stupidly at his own dog. “Who’s that Jae hyun guy?”

 

His glare was transferred to me.

 

“Calm down, pirate. I was just curious.” I told him.

 

He comfortably laid down the bed, taking Gaho from my lap to his chest then said, “Nobody. Just some family friend that is totally not your type. He’s the Il Woo type but less good-looking. I got rid of him for you.”

 

I cringed then ignored it when Gaho struggled out of Jiyong’s embrace to come back to my lap. This makes me smile. “He likes his mommy more.”

 

“Now you accept him as you’re son. That’s just great.” He replied unsmiling.

 

I took the sleeping Gaho in my arms and then cuddled us into Jiyong’s side. I was playing with his ears when Jiyong voiced out, “Do you want to visit Sanghyun before going home?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“I wonder if dogs are allowed in the hospital. I’m sure Gaho would want to meet Uncle Sanghyun. Aunt Dami had been really mean to him.”

 

This statement takes me back to the past. Now that I think about it, Dami and Jiyong’s relationship felt similar to mine and Sanghyun. The older sister makes her own younger brother’s life a living hell just because she can. But despite all the ragging and ribbing, Dami truly cares for Jiyong. And Jiyong in turn shows his love by protecting his sister.

 

It makes me wonder how joyful it would be for me when Sanghyun eventually wakes up and he’s still the same protective little brother he is from the past.

 

I hope nothing would change.

 

“What are you thinking about?” Jiyong asked, taking me back to now.

 

I lied and said the next best thing, “Just thinking about kissing you.”

 

His smile got wider like I just gave him the key to a new lamborghini. “Are we doing this here? Now?” He asked before looking up at the door like really debating the prospect. “Well…okay. But be gentle. My bed is still a .”

 

“Not in front of the kid!” I whisper-yell.

 

Jiyong scoop Gaho away from my chest and laid him down on the floor. Gosh, he couldn’t settle his son comfortably in the nearby couch just because he wants to get his way with me. Was I depraving him? Because then what was last night all about?

 

It seemed that Jiyong just can’t get enough judging by how swiftly he threw his body back on top of me, straddling me. I my lips at the same time he took his shirt off then he holds my wrist down so I can’t move.

 

Nice.

 

I know I said I won’t have with him in his parent’s house but damn…

 

Now if only he locked the door…

 

“! My eyes.” Dami muttered then with a loud voice she announced, “You two care to lock the door before doing any ion. Because I think that’s the general consensus even in this day and age.”

 

We froze in our position as she covers her eyes.

 

“Ugh! When you’re done here, we’ll be in the family room having karaoke. I’m just gonna go put my eyes under an open faucet to wash away the image I just saw.”

 

That’s all she said before she left leaving the door open.

 

Yup! We didn’t get to continue.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

a/n:

I know...I'm a week late but in the spirit of the holidays...

you'll forgive me, right?

I reached a thousand subscribers too...YAY!!!

Hi to all of you guys and hope you had a wonderful start of the new year...

lots of my love goes to y'all...

xoxo