21 - Like a girlfriend?

Yours, mine, ours

c/to: monsterLea

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DARA

 

 

“Let me get this straight,” Bom said across the room while I was distracting myself from all of my problems by arranging some newly bought flowers for my brother’s room.

 

 

“YG wanted you, Ms. Sandara Park, to sign a contract that is all about acting, which is a total upgrade to your currently crappy job, but you refused to do so because you’re afraid that the public might know about Sanghyun’s condition and that they might dig up your currently buried in hell past.”

 

 

“Yup.” I replied, popping my ‘p’.

 

 

I invited her to have lunch with me and Sanghyun and I just  happen to rattle all about YG’s ultimatum regarding my contract including my decision to decline it.

 

 

“Sanghyun-ah” She cooed while combing Sanghyun’s hair with her hand, “Your sister is such a presumptuous sometimes, I actually want to deny her my friendship.”

 

 

“Please refrain from using such crude language in front of my brother.” I said walking back beside his bed to place the vase with fresh flowers, “And what do you mean presumptuous? I don’t remember saying anything remotely close to being presumptuous.”

 

 

“Ah, duh!” she rolled her eyes. “You’re not even a star yet and you’re already thinking about people digging up dirt about you. Assuming much?! Get your head out your D and start thinking about the big picture.”

 

 

“This is some amaze-balls opportunity for both you and your brother. You do know how much celebrities get paid today, right? Haven’t you been working with one since ever? How much did they pay you for the music video, again?”

 

 

“You should know that this is not about any money. It’s about Sanghyun.”I replied devastatingly. I always run out of excuse when I’m talking with my best friend. I wonder why that is?

 

 

“Of course it’s about Sanghyun. It’s always gonna be about him. If you do this, we can pimp out his IV. Get some blings for his machines. He’s gonna be like Kanye West but in a comma. Sounds totally awesome right?”

 

 

 

Is it weird that I want to agree with her right now?

 

 

“Bommie…”

 

 

“Okay, I get it. I won’t force you.” She said stopping my whining.

 

 

“Not today, I won’t” She added afterwards. “There are many days to come.”

 

 

I smiled. “Thank you for being considerate.”

 

 

She shrugged and then crossed her legs. “So, how did Jiyong take your decision?”

 

 

“He was pretty cool about it.”

 

 

She raised an eyebrow and said, “Really? Tell me exactly how you told him and how he reacted.”

 

 

I told her what happened last night and when I was done she looked like she wants to jump over Sanghyun’s bed and strangle me.

 

 

“Are you fcking kidding me?” She asked. “That’s how you told him goodbye?”

 

 

 

“We promised we’d never say goodbye,” I joked which earned me a flying shoe.

 

 

“It was a clear night sky so a crying under the rain scenario, that I’m sure you would enjoy, is pretty far-fetched. I said a plain, boring good-bye. What else did you expect me to say to him?” I explained before throwing back her shoe.

 

 

“Umm…I don’t know Dara.” She replied clearly mocking me. “Maybe a clearer version or some sort of explanation as to why you were acting weird last night.”

 

 

“I wasn’t acting weird. I was upset. I just got fired.”

 

 

“HE DOESN'T KNOW THAT!.” She yelled. Omo. “I’m pretty sure he’s still thinking that he’ll see you later today.”

 

 

“I clearly told him to take care of himself. I’m sure he understands that already.”

 

 

 

“You always tell me to take care of myself and yet I still see your face. Dara what you told him can mean a lot of things. Take care of yourself Jiyong, you might slip and break your hip. Take care of yourself dude, there are manholes everywhere. Tell your mistress to take care of herself honey, I could be in her apartment and accidentally stab her in the face.” She ranted examples using different voices. She’s good.

 

 

“Yeah well, he’s Jiyong. I’m sure he’ll get over it. He spent half of our time together trying to get rid of me.”

 

 

“And the other half?” she asked.

 

 

“He spent torturing me so that I quit the job myself.” I answered as a matter of fact. “Are you satisfied by my answer?”

 

 

She sighed deeply. “I’m not sure about that, D. I think you should prepare yourself for the dragon’s wrath once he knew, like really knew -- with all the gory details of your quitting and not a subtle take care of yourself Ji kind of stuff you pulled last night. Had he called you yet?”

 

 

“I deliberately left my phone in my house.”

 

 

“Tsk. You’re dead.”

 

 

Am I?

 

 

 

We were silent for a while before I let out the worst problem I currently have. “What am I gonna do now, Bommie? Where will I find a job that would pay for all of Sanghyun’s needs?”

 

 

 

 

“Well, there is always ion.” She said.

 

 

I can’t even bring myself to laugh at that joke.

 

 

 

“Geez, girl, laugh a little. It’s not the end of the world except maybe, when the time comes for Jiyong to kill you for not properly saying goodbye.” She added. “But for starters, I can get you a part-time work at my office.”

 

 

Park Bom is crazy but she is officially the bestest bestfriend one could ever have in like, ever.

 

 

“I love you so much Bommie, I will name my kid after you.” I told her. I think my eyes are glistening.

 

 

“Don’t get teary on me. It’s just part-time and it won’t pay you as much as what you earn as a celebrity’s personal assistant. And it’s surely just coins compare to what you will earn when you accept YG’s offer.”

 

 

“It doesn’t matter. If I work hard enough and work more part-times’ I will get enough money to buy you a piece of land in the moon.”

 

 

“Okay crazy; let’s not get ahead of ourselves.”

 

 

I got up and hugged her tightly as I squeal just to show my appreciation.

 

 

“Hey, what is that?” She asked after a while.

 

 

“What is what?” I loosened my hug and followed the direction of her gaze.

 

 

I stopped my gaze at a flower pot on top of Sanghyun’s bedside table.

 

 

“Aah…that.” I mumbled. “I don’t know exactly but I think it’s some sort of a plant. Nurse Han said someone left it there for Sanghyun to take care of because it will give his sister, meaning me, complete happiness. Crazy, psychopath, burdening my baby brother with a pot of unknown plant.” I cursed the nameless person.

 

 

“You think it might be a stalker?”

 

 

I quickly transfer my gazed to her. “I have a stalker?”

 

 

“Yeah. When did that pot get here? Maybe he saw your mv and fell in love with you or something like that.”

 

 

“Wow. That’s just crazy.” I said. How could a single mv possibly give me a stalker? Bom had the tendency to jump off to conclusion. It’s her thing.

 

 

 

 

...

“But totally hot.” I added. It is hot. One look at me and he fell in love with me in a psychotic way that he knew how. Whew.

 

 

“Totally.” Bom agreed.

 

 

I guess you can say we think alike.

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

JIYONG

 

 

 

So just so you know; I was late with practice today.

 

Do you want to know why?

 

Do you really want to know why?

 

 

It’s because my supposedly personal assistant forgot to wake me.

 

 

You know what’s worst, I had gone the entire morning dancing routines without anyone knowing that I haven’t showered nor shave and I practiced with all my heart but with an empty stomach, not even a drop of single caffeine in my body.

 

Sure, I can ask someone else to get food for me, but people are stupid. They always mess it up and I always end up not eating anything. So to save energy, I just don’t ask anybody else. Anyways, I have an assistant to do that.

 

But she’s out there procrastinating while I suffer from hunger and malfunction.

 

“Are you alright, Jiyong?” Jaewook asked for the millionth time that I made a mistake.

 

“NO.” I unintentionally yelled back at YG’s choreographer. I held my head down in shame. “I’m sorry.”

 

“Everyone take five.” He announced before approaching me. “Did you and Dara fight again?”

 

“No.” I said defensively.

 

“Then why is she not here?”

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“Do you want me to call her for you?”

 

“Useless, she won’t answer.”

 

“Have you tried the office?”

 

I rolled my eyes but fought uttering duh. “Let’s just continue practice. Maybe she’s just busy with something else.” Like his brother. I’m hungry but still very considerate, aren’t I? She owes me one.

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

When the clock turned three that afternoon, Jaewook concluded that I’m absolutely useless for today and told me that practice will just resume when my soul decides to come back to my body.

 

There are many contributing factors as to why he deduced that I was useless.

 

First, I keep glancing at the door in between practice because I was expecting for Dara to arrive and it messes up my focus.

 

Second, I’m so hungry and weak I danced like a girl with a limp.

 

Third, I’m just simply out of it.

 

Pick one.

 

I sent Dara a million text messages and about nine hundred ninety nine thousand voicemails in between practice. I know it’s rude but I just want to know how she or her brother is doing because really, he’s the only one that could take out Dara off her work.

 

At first I kept my messages simple and standardized. For example:

 

From: Jiyong

To: Ms. Smartass

Message: Wer r u?

 

-----

 

From: Jiyong

To: Ms. Smartass

Message: Did I do something wrong?

 

-----

 

From: Jiyong

To: Ms. Smartass

Message: Hi, how r things going? J

 

-----

 

 

But after a few of those, I figure I should step up a notch and get creative with my voicemails.

 

Dara, will you answer your phone? You’re turning me into a stalker.

 

-----

 

If you pick up your phone right now, I’ll dress up as a mermaid. Whenever. You. Want.

 

-----

 

I’ve been on a terrible accident. My dying wish is for you to pick up your phone.

 

-----

 

 

Too much? Well, the plan is to drive her crazy.

 

I think it’s just fair though. Because she is currently driving me crazy I was just simply returning the favor.

 

“Did Dara ever come in?” I asked the receptionist when I passed by her on my way outside.

 

“No, she didnt.” She quickly replied. “What were you fighting about this time? If you don’t mind me asking.”

 

“We didn’t fight.” I said with furrowed eyebrows. “Why would you ask that?”

 

She transferred her eyes back into her computer while she talked, “Nothing much. I just thought that it was weird that you came alone this morning. You’re usually with Dara. The only times that you don’t come in together is when she would be waiting for you here in reception or you two are yet again having another pissing contest. She wasn’t here waiting for you this morning so it could only be the other reason.”

 

“Well, you’re wrong because we didn’t fight.” I told her. “Did you think that maybe she was on an accident? Did you think about that? Get your facts straight.”

 

It’s irritating that people seemed to think that Dara didn’t go to work because of me. Hello??!!! I’m the one who didn’t get to do anything right today because she is M.I.A. If anything, I’m the victim.

 

“Are you sure she didn’t come in?” I asked the irritating receptionist again. “Maybe you just didn’t see her. Dara is a really small person. Maybe you missed her when she passed by.

 

“Dara always greets me when she passes here, so I’ll know wh—“

 

“She had a lot on her mind. She forgot to greet you. How is that scenario? Do you want to get fired for not doing your job properly?”

 

 

There. I lost it.

 

 

“Jiyong.” Someone called out from a far. It was Youngbae. “Stop harassing our receptionist. What is wrong?” He asked when he reached me.

 

“Nothing. I was just asking this person if she saw Dara, since it’s her job to check people coming in and out the building.” I gave the reception a stink-eye because she deserves it.

 

“Isn’t Dara supposed to be with you?” Youngbae said. “What did you do to her this time, Ji?”

 

 

Oh My God!!! Even my best friend thinks that I did something against Dara.

 

 

“GGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” I shouted at their faces.

 

I can’t take it anymore. I need to get out of here.

 

I know exactly where she’d be.

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

Well at least they’re alright. She and her brother both, I mean.

 

“Are you coming in?” A nurse distracted me from my stupor.

 

I was standing by Sanghyun’s door, watching them through the glass as Dara turned over pages from the book that she was reading and Sanghyun’s stable heart line.

 

“No.” I answered the nurse while adjusting my scarf. “I was just checking. No need for them to know I was here.”

 

She looked at me suspiciously before knocking on the door.

 

Sh!t. She could’ve warned me that she was entering. I saw Dara twist her head towards the door asking the nurse to come in and all I could do was ducked in a corner.

 

The nurse gave me a weird look before turning the knob and I signal for her to go inside and to not tell Dara that someone (me) is lurking outside the room. How I did my hand signals is beyond me.

 

I crawled farther from the room for safety measures.

 

Dara doesn’t know that I knew about her brother. I’m sure there is a reason why she’s not telling anybody but I’m not going to be the who reveals her secret.

 

The nurse directly approached the nurse station after her round at Sanghyun’s room and I just got to ask her.

 

“Is everything alright? I mean with the patient.”

 

“He’s in a coma. Of course, nothing is alright. Have you tried being in a coma?”

 

...

 

I know she was just sympathizing but God! What a !

 

“So, he’s alright. Nothing happened to him.”

 

The nurse nodded but didn’t even bother to look at me.

 

If Sanghyun was fine all along then why would Dara take the day off from work?

 

“If you asked me if the patient was fine,” The nurse talked again while busy transferring pills from one cup to another. “I’d say he’s stable, for now. The person who is really not fine is his sister.”

 

 

Keep talking .

 

“I heard she got fired. Poor girl. It’s expensive enough that she solely has to shoulder her brother’s medical fees but now she got fired. Some people are just really inconsiderate to the point of evil. Why would they fire such a hard-working girl?--”

 

The nurse said a lot more things but it all sounded like buzzed noise as I retain the only piece of information that my head can accommodate.

 

Dara got fired?!

 

What the fck!

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

I don’t recall what happened in the last 10 minutes. All I know is I’m now racing towards YG’s office like a mad man and I will be demanding answers. Hell will become a puny little place once YG doesn’t tell me what I want to hear.

 

I caught him just as he was standing up probably getting ready to leave for the day. I didn’t waste any time and just confronted him.

 

“DID YOU FIRE DARA??!!!!!”

 

His eyes widened in shock and he looked like he’s about to press the panic button under his desk before he realized it was just me. His reaction is quite understandable seeing as how I charged like a bullet inside his office.

 

“Damn it, Jiyong. I have the Airforce directed on the panic button. Do you know what’ll cost them to come here on false alarm?”

 

It’s probably not the right time to comment on his army connections.

 

“Just answer the question.”

 

“It’s time for me to go home, Ji. My kids are waiting.”

 

“I’m sure they can wait a little longer. I, on the other hand, am very frustrated right at this very moment.”

 

 

He sighed before settling back to his chair. “How did you know about that?”

 

“So, you did fire her. How could you--,”

 

“Stop.” He said, raising his palm. “She’s not fired. I just gave her an ultimatum, just something to scare her a little. But she’s definitely not fired.”

 

“Then why would the nur--,”

 

I halted. I almost slipped and gave a hint on Dara’s double life.

 

“Never mind. What ultimatum are you talking about?”

 

He looked straight into my eyes and said, “You’re going to eventually find out about this anyway, so what the hell?”

 

“W-what are you talking about?”

 

“Dara is --,” He started. “-- very special. She’s smart and talented. The girl can act. Not to mention she had a very pretty face.”

 

 

“You are aware that you have a wife right.” I reminded him. The way he compliments Dara just gives me the creeps.

 

 

“Not what I meant.” He squelched. “I’m saying that I offered Dara a chance to be one of YG Entertainment’s artists.”

 

Okay.

 

 

I’m waiting for the punch line.

 

 

“So, what do you think?”

 

Is he serious?

 

“Are you serious?” I voiced out just to make sure that he read what my face was saying.

 

He nodded.

 

I surprised myself on how calm I am now taking this.

 

 

“Umm…Did you know that I haven’t eaten anything for today?” I asked.

 

He looked like he doesn’t get my question so I continued. “Yeah, my starvation passed by me a long time ago. Did you know why?”

 

“We have a cafeteria downstairs or would you like to eat anything else?” He asked me back, confusion written all over his face.

 

“It’s because Dara thought she was fired so she decided to skip on cooking breakfast for me today.” I said.

 

He still looked confused. “Cooking is a chef or a maid’s job Jiyong. Are you saying that Dara have been cooking for you all this time.”

 

“W-well I l-like her cooking and--,” I stuttered and gulped a lot. “Sh-she’s been talking to Hwang Ssabu-nim, so she knows what’s good for me and all that stuff.” Now I’m the one that’s confused.

 

 

“And she’s your nutritionist too?! What’s wrong with you? She’s your manager and/or personal assistant when it comes to work-related stuffs Jiyong. She’s not your slave.”

 

“Whatever. She likes doing it for me”

 

“I’m pretty sure she doesn’t.”

 

I rolled my eyes. “The point is, what am I supposed to do when she becomes a full-pledged actress? I might just die of hunger and misery.”

 

He clicked his tongue, “Jiyong, you’re overly dramatic. You must remember that Dara is not going to be forever your assistant. She would want another career besides that.”

 

“Changing careers are for people who need growth. Dara doesn’t need to grow more than she already has.”

 

“Because being your maid tops her list of career choice.” He answered sarcastically.

 

“Again, I do not treat her like a maid. It’s her choice to take care of me. Kinda like a girl--,”

Alright, I’ll stop there.

 

 

What the hell am I saying?

 

 

 

“Like a girlfriend?” YG continued where I left off with a knowing smile. God! I knew he’d catch that.

 

 

“SHUT UP!” I stopped him before his imagination run wild. “Dara is not going to be an actress and that is final.”

 

“You don’t decide for her.” He snorted like what I said is more than ridiculous.

 

“Oh yeah,” I said with confidence. “Well, she didn’t get to work today so that just meant one thing.”

 

“She needed more time to think.”  He quickly suggested.

 

“No. It meant that she’s going to reject your stupid offer.”

 

“Really?!”

 

“Yeah. Really.”

 

“Shame. We’ll need to find you a new assistant now, too.”

 

“Ye--, what?” I shouted. “Why can’t I have Dara back? She’s not going to be an actress anyway.”

 

“Well, that was my ultimatum. Be an actress or she’s fired.”

 

“But if she becomes an actress, she won’t be able to do her job as my manager, can she? Please say something that makes sense hyung.”

 

“Jiyong,” He looked at me like I’m the most pitiful creature he had ever seen. “You’re thinking like an amateur. It’s sad.”

 

“If Dara decides to become an actress, it doesn’t mean that her career would sail smoothly just like that. Yes, she had a good start in Gummy’s MV but that’s just a little thing compared to the big leagues. I’m talking about television, movie screens. Everywhere you look, Dara should be there. But she had to earn that position. Just like how Big Bang did. And you should know it’s not going to be that easy. She’ll need another job for those times that she won’t be getting any offers.”

 

 

 

The light had dawned on me.

 

YG is such a sly bastard.

 

 

But I’m not going to say that to his face because he will surely punish me.

 

“So, Dara will still be my manager even if she decides to take some acting job.”

 

“That is correct." YG confirmed. "Although I think Dara must’ve misinterpreted my terms but ---,"

 

“Why didn’t you tell me that earlier? We could’ve saved a lot of time from arguing.” I enthusiastically told him.

 

He stared at me before saying, “Get out of my office Jiyong.”

 

“Sure. Let’s walk out together. You’re going home to your kids and I’ll be bringing back my assistant.”

 

“Just for the record,” He said as he stepped outside his office for me to close it behind us. “I think it’s totally wrong that you agreed for Dara to be an actress to satisfy your own selfish reason.”

 

I smiled.

 

Because it’s totally true.

 

 

***

 

 

DARA

 

I decided to leave the hospital the morning after I spent the night at Sanghyun’s room.

 

And even after a day of moping, I still stood firm with my decision to reject YG’s offer. Though, there’s a little portion of my brain that says go for it. Just a little. Like really miniscule portion.

 

I must be going insane but Bom actually had a point in the matter. It’s not that I don’t want to be successful in whatever it is that I’m doing or about to do, there is just no assurance that I will not fail too. It’s a 50-50 chance.

 

If I fail, then I can say that I at least tried.

 

If I succeed, it could affect Sanghyun both positively and negatively.

 

So which one do you think sounds better?

 

***

 

I put my keys on the knob of my front door but before I turned it, I distinctively hear some noises inside my apartment.

 

I positioned my ear on the door and listened more. It sounded like the T.V was on.

 

The problem is I don’t have a T.V.

 

I turned my knob as gently as I can and opened it as quietly as possible.

 

My apartment is very small and had very thin walls. Once you enter and looked straight you can immediately see my kitchen/dining area. My living room is on the left side of the front door, but really it only consists of a one-person sofa bed. My bedroom is across the living room and kitchen/dining room. It is separated by a curtain I hanged there myself so people can discern that area as a bedroom. Not that I invite a lot of people.

 

Anyways, that’s where the noise is coming from.

 

I tip toed towards it and grabbed a lamp beside the sofa bed. When I reached closer, I made sure that whoever is inside can’t see me when I take a quick look.

 

I slowly poked my head, thankful for the see-through curtains I picked out as divider, and quickly retracted when at first-glance I instantly recognized who it was.

 

It was Jiyong.

 

I swiped the curtain open to see him clearly.

 

He seemed to notice my presence immediately as he set aside whatever it is that he was watching at his phone to greet me.

 

“Hey, you’re back.” He said.

 

I gulped in surprise as I looked at him.

 

Damp hair.

 

Half-.

 

In my bed.

 

 

 

 

The first thing that came out of my mouth was – “Please tell me you’re wearing something underneath my blanket.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

a/n:

First off, I just want to say thank you to my currently 572 subscribers.

I think some of you guys also subscribed on my very first fic 21st girlfriend.

So, thank you for reading YMO as well.

Iloveyou

Second, I love that your giving me inputs on what you wanted to happen in this story.

It gives me more idea on what to do next.

Keep the loving coming on the box below, I'm loving it everyday.

See you soon

xoxo