15 - TOMATO

Yours, mine, ours

c/to: monsterLea

 

 

 

 

JIYONG

 

So guess what my punishment was?

 

My album got pushed back for a few weeks, one month tops, to give way for Gummy-noona’s album.

 

That’s it.

 

You think it’s easy. Well, think again.

 

I get to rest for the past few days but after this I need to go back to practice rooms to rehearse all over again. Not that I’m complaining, I breathe perfection after all.

 

Going back to practice is actually the easy part; at least I have something to do.

 

The vacation days are the actual punishment. I’m bored to death.

 

I partied until I got sick of it. I slept without someone waking me up. I didn’t see Dara.

 

After seeing YG, we went our separate ways. The charity ball news got toppled over by a girl-group comeback and some other else that I couldn’t care less about. I’m just glad that it was over. Maybe.

 

I didn’t get to see Dara. I already said that but I really didn’t get to see her. For over a week.

 

It’s a waste spending my time bored to death rather than annoy her to death. And because I’m naturally adorably annoying, I’m going to call her.

 

After a few rings, I finally got a groggy ‘hello’ as a greeting.

 

 

“Hi, it’s me, are you sleeping?”

 

I heard her sighed deeply before answering me quite aggressively, “No, I’m skydiving. Do you know what time it is?”

 

“It’s three.”

 

“In the morning Ji,”

 

Click.

 

This is fun.

 

I dial again.

 

She picked up but didn’t say anything so I did the talking, “So…what are you wearing?”

 

Click.

 

I chuckled and dialed again.

 

“What do you want?”

 

I don’t even know.

 

“Don’t hang up. I’ll just keep calling back.”

 

“Then I’ll turn off my phone.”

 

“Then I’ll drive by your house and call out your name in a megaphone, over and over again. They’re going to kick you out of your house and ban you in your neighborhood forever.”

 

She didn’t speak for a few seconds, probably contemplating if I’m serious or not.

 

I am.

 

“All right, I’ll stay on the phone.”

 

“What do you want to talk about?”

 

“You’re the one who keeps calling.”

 

“I was bored. I need to annoy someone.”

 

She huffs, “So, how were the late night parties?”

 

“How did you know that? Am I that predictable? Do I only go to parties when I get a vacation?” I’m actually concerned.

 

“No. Lee Soohyuk, drunk dialed me every night. I swear to God, that friend of yours, got a thing for me.”

 

Right. Gotta call Soohyuk after this.

 

“How do you think Lee Donghae’s settling in with this news?”

 

“He’ll live. With therapy, of course.” She snorts.

 

I wonder how pretty boy Donghae is after he witnessed the then love of his life Dara Park go all amazon freak in front of a bustling crowd. I’m pretty sure he’s scarred for life.

 

And I wonder how he’ll react if he knew how Dara and I make fun of him in our conversations. He’ll probably hate us forever.

 

“What we’re you doing before you called me?” She asked on the other line.

 

“I honestly don’t remember. That’s how bored I am. I can’t even write songs because this house reeks of boredom. Maybe I should move.”

 

“Look, I’m not going to help you pack, so don’t go there. Maybe you just missed seeing me.”

 

“Now I’m the one who’s going to hang up.”

 

“Really”

 

“No. What was your punishment?”

 

“YG hasn’t told me anything yet. He said we’ll talk about it tomorrow or later since it’s now technically tomorrow.”

 

“Hmm. I have two more weeks before I go back to practice. What am I supposed to do?”

 

It took her a few seconds before she could say anything and her answer will explain why I don’t call her a lot.

 

“You see that’s what’s wrong with you. You don’t do anything when you have rest days, well you’re not supposed to do anything on rest days that’s why it’s called rest days but my point is your mind works backwards in that you’re bored when you have vacations but when you have scheduled activities you always want to go out and play. Why can’t you make use of your vacation now that you’re actually on vacation and do your work on work days? Seriously, I’ll book you a ticket to Paris. You wanted to go back there right?”

 

 

 

The silence was deliberate for my enjoyment.

 

“Jiyong. Hello.”

 

 

I faked a yawn and then ended her agony, “I’m sorry, what? You lost me at what’s wrong.”

 

Click.

 

I laughed and typed in a message.

 

I’m on my way to your house with a megaphone.

 

Then my phone ring and I answered it very carefully.

 

 

“Gosh, Dara. Do you know what time it is?”

 

 

“Okay. I’m really annoyed right now. Congratulations on a job well done.”

 

 

Calling her is the best decision I made today. No wait, it’s the best decision I made this entire week.

 

I lie down promptly on my bed while I listen to her even out her breathing as she tries to calm herself.

 

Total creeper. I know.

 

I cleared out my throat before I started, “Are you going to tell me what your punishment will be?”

 

“Why do you want to know?”

 

“Because I’m nosy.”

 

Her laugh resonated in my ears. It’s like music.                                        

 

“If you’re good I’ll tell you.”

 

I rolled my eyes, “Whatever. I’ll know about it eventually.”

 

I heard her suppress a yawn followed by a soft hum.

 

And for some reason that I’m sure that even I will surely get bothered by said unknown reason sometime in the near future, I started singing an unfamiliar tune. I patterned it by the slow rhythm of her breathing and I knew she is starting to fall asleep.

 

I kept singing until I fell asleep myself.

 

***

 

I woke up with a start. When I realized that I fell asleep singing to Dara, I stretched both of my arms out in my bed trying to locate my phone.

 

When I found it, I saw a text message from her.

 

You’re snore is like an alarm clock. I’ll record it next time and have you waked up to it.

 

Funny.

 

I don’t snore.

 

I got up and prepped for my plans today.

 

***

 

Did you know that there are 7, 500 varieties of tomatoes?

 

I didn’t know this.

 

I got this information from the tomato-freak ahjumma who I think is trying to convince me that tomatoes are a vital part of the fruit community. I tried to joke with her that tomato is a vegetable but she glared at me like what I said was blasphemy. She scared me a little bit but I got through it.

 

I remember telling Dara that I would plant a tomato for her as tribute for punching Jungmin. I think now is the right time to do so since I’m not really doing anything.

 

I was in the middle of watering the seed when Seungri came in. Uninvited.

 

“Hey hyung, wanna hangout?” he greeted poking he’s head in my kitchen.

 

“No time.”

 

“What are you doing?” he asked getting into my space.

 

“What does it look like I’m doing?”

 

It took him a few seconds to answer, “D-drowning soils?”

 

Hahaha.

 

“Idiot. I’m planting.”

 

“Oooh, is that the tomato for Dara-noona?”

 

“Gummy-noona had a big mouth.” I replied rolling my eyes.

 

“It is, isn’t it?” He replied totally ignoring me. “That’s so cute. Is that going to be like you guys’ love plant or something?”

 

These jokes about me and Dara being a couple have been going on for years now inside the company. It was irritating at first because we hated each other but as time passed I guess the joke just got old and we both just leave it be.

 

It’s not like there really is anything going on between us anyways. That would be total catastrophe.

 

Heh.

 

“Question?” Seungri pressed on raising his right hand. It’s like he doesn’t even know how unwanted he is in here, right now. “Why tomato?”

 

Okay, something we can talk about.

 

“Remember when she was just starting as my manager, our fans thought she was a stalker fan following me or us around. That one time when some of them actually threw tomatoes at her at the airport, she started hating tomatoes after that. I just want her to remember that moment every time she sees this.”

 

 

“Why would she want to relive that humiliating moment? Are you crazy?”

 

I glared at him for calling me crazy and he apologized immediately.

 

We were at the peak of our careers and it’s not often agency hires girls to be managers. At that time Dara was really girly, wearing fancy dresses and ballet shoes as she follows us around. People thought she was the stylist or some make-up artist until she made the mistake of goofing off with ert-Seungri, constantly. Of course rabid fans notice this and because they are there to protect us from having love lives they intricately manage to sneak tomatoes into the airport and started target-shooting at her.

 

 

It was horrible to the point that it actually gave me nightmares.

 

 

Of course after that, Dara learned to ugly-fy herself. Not that she was ever pretty. Except that one time at the charity ball that still boggles me how she did it. (And no, I don't think it's the push-up bra. Not going to think about that ever.)

 

But most of the time she was normal looking-ish.

 

I think.

 

“I’m not crazy but the idea is. It’s hilarious.”

 

Seungri twitched his lips totally not getting my point.

 

“How is this not funny? Whatever. You wouldn’t understand but Dara would.”

 

“I think she’s going to hate you more than she does right now.”

 

“We’ll see about that.” I said as I continue watering the seeds.

 

How many gallons of water does this er need?

 

 

***

 

I entered the elevator going up YG’s office carrying the plant in a paper bag and plastering a smile on my face. It’s a very nice day.

 

The elevator opened to YG’s floor and I felt my smile got wider when I saw Dara on the other side.

 

Guess their meeting was finished.

 

And she’s in a bad mood.

 

I notice this because she immediately tic her tongue when she saw me and then walked away.

 

“What did I do now?” – is my immediate response as I follow her.

 

“Not in the mood, Ji.”

 

“Whatever. Why are you walking away from me?”

 

“Not in the mood, Ji.”

 

“You already said that.”

 

She suddenly stopped to face me when we reached the stairwell. She held both my shoulders, sighed, pats me and then continued going down the stairs.

 

What the fck?

 

I intended to follow her but she suddenly stopped (again) and then instantly sat on the bottom stair, sighed (again), then buried her head in her knees.

 

I figured she wanted to be alone for now.

 

So I did what I know best.

 

I sat at the top stair and watched her wallowing back.

 

Leaving her alone.

 

 

But not quite.

 

When she gets over her misery, I’m going to be here to cheer her up with our plant.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

a/n:

So like i said, this is another update.

Thank you for the comments. I'm sorry if I can't reply, though.

But I really love it. I read it over and over again to get energy to write.

Give some love for this chapter too...

see you nxt update..

xoxo