Learning the Value of Money

When Jinki Takes Care of Me {Precious Life Sequel}

A/N: It's been so long, I hope you all haven't forgotten about me. I have been making blog posts but not any updates. It's been pretty difficult due to my school schedule and working. I hope you all enjoy this chapter and realize that dating can be difficult within a relationship and marrige, which is one of the points I bring out here in this chapter but I tried not to draw too much attentio to it.

The next morning Jinki had done a lot of thinking about Zoe working a part time job. Ever since her diagnosis, she didn't proceed to work in the dental office after a year. Working was the only way to keep her motivated and not thinking about her illness. It also challenged her memory so she wouldn't forget to do simple tasks. Before Zoe woke up, Jinki decided to cook breakfast and made coffee for them so the two could discuss her future.


"Good morning Jagiya!" Jinki greeted his wife as she shuffled her way into the kitchen towards Jinki to be embraced by his warm body.
"I'm hungry..." She complained in a tiny voice.


"Did the smell of the food wake you up?"


"Eung..." She was still wrapped in his embrace.


"I want to talk to you about something."


Zoe's heart raced immediately, anxious to hear what he had to say. "Oppa what is? You're making me nervous."


"It's nothing too serious. I just had been doing a lot of thinking about what mom said last night." He began while set the table up with their food and poured himself a cup of coffee.


"What did she say?"


"About you working." Jinki said as Zoe began to whine and groan. "Zoe stop it. You've worked hard in the past and I'm working hard to help get us where we are now. I just want you to get back on your feet. I know work may not be as easy as it was in the past but you'll get used to it. You can't just be in the house all day either. You need some motivation, and to accept your illness like I had to. Am I wrong?"


She sat there without a given response. Trying to process every Jinki said she asked, "Jinki say that again..."


"What I said overall was, you need to work just as I do just to get out the house and earn your own money again."


"Jinki are you being serious?" Zoe didn't sound too enthused.


"Yes Jagiya, I am very serious. You can apply at the Étude shop again as you did in the past. Remember working there? You really enjoyed it and often brought home cosmetics for the members and I to use."


"Ahh jjinja?"


"Neh, I think you should apply there again and see how it goes from there. If you decide to do it, I'll take you shopping for maternity clothes. If not, then you won't be getting anymore clothes. By the way you said we're on a budget for the baby so we shouldn't be spending anyways."


"Jinki you're mean..."


"Not being mean at all, I'm being realistic. You're a spoiled brat, and you need to learn the value of money again. What it's like to earn and spend your own money. I love you and want what's best for you. I'll continue to provide for you but you must work again. At least try." He explained. "Zoe..." Jinki called. "Are you upset?"


"Aniyo... Who's going to watch Amie?"


"We can take her to daycare."


"Absolutely not. I don't trust anyone else to watch my child and you know she looks different from everyone, I don't want her to get bullied."


"We can pay for her to go to a private preschool this winter. She'll be turning 4 soon." In Korean age was 4 but she would only be turning 3.


"Jinki she's not ready for school this year."


"Zoe she is ready, and I understand you're scared about leaving her for a few hours, but she has to start someday. I know she looks different from everyone but-"


"But what Jinki? You thought it was a good idea for us to be an couple, in Korea and think everyone was going to accept and our child who doesn't look like everyone."


"Zoe do not go there with me."


"So you want our child to be a target? Instead of us just letting her go to school in the States?!"


Oh my goodness this woman doesn't listen at all does she? Okay calm down before I snap. I just need to gather my thoughts. I understand why she's afraid to allow Amie to go to school here but we can't just up and leave to the states and send her to school. It's not going to solve any of this.


The couple had a hard time with understanding their cultural differences from time to time, but willingly discussed their differences. Jinki decided to take a deep breath and spoke, "Zoe, relax...listen to me," he stated in a stern manner. "I am your husband, why do you not listen to me first and foremost? I know what is best for our child as well, but we can't act before we think. I know the States is more diverse and a bit more accepting, but we can't just up and leave as easily as you think. And leaving will NOT solve our problem. Lately Korea has been been more accepting to couples like us if you didn't know."


"But Jinki did you consider I left my family behind to come here for my career and married you and decided to live here?"


"Baby I'm so sorry..." He sighed. "We can discuss this later with a better attitude.


"No we need to discuss this now, so it doesn't have to be discussed later. If I start working again, then we need to find a school for her to go to in the meantime. When she's older, she will study abroad in America. She only knows and understands the Korean culture and not mine."


In the midst of their overbearing conversation they had a guest enter the kitchen. "Good morning Amie, are you hungry?" Jinki asked.


"Eung."


"Okay let appa get you some food."


"Amie baby, are you Korean?"


"Eung."


"But umma isn't Korean, so you're half Korean."


"Jjinja."


"Neh, when both your parents aren't Korean and only one is, that makes you biracial, which mean you have two cultures rather than one. But that doesn't make you any different, arraseo?" Zoe had to simply her terminology for Amie to understand.


"Neh."


"Zoe what is your point?"


"Jinki she needs to understand that she's not only Korean because when she begins school they're going to look at her once and know she's not just Korean. To me, race doesn't matter and neither to children at her age, but it's important that she's familiar with both cultures. And children at her age have no clue either unless their parents embed it into their heads that they should treat others differently based on their appearance."


"Zoe I understand what you're saying but you have to understand that won't change someone else's perspective. Just as you grew up in America with a different culture than me, you'll continue to live by what you were taught just as I have, and yes, eventually you will make your own decisions as an adult but you'll still will live by the norms that you were taught. Just be positive and relax. We can search for her to enroll in a private school this winter. We can further discuss this later." Zoe shrugged off his statement and ignored him.


Jinki had been worried about the situation as well, but all he'd seen was the beauty when he looked at his wife and daughter, rather than the difference in their nationality and ethnic background. "I love you Zoe."


"I love you too Jinki."


"Amie-yah! Appa loves you!" Jinki squished her body by hugging her tightly and smooching her cheeks.


"Nah do!"


"Zoe would you like something to drink? I made coffee?"


"No I want green tea."


"Okay I'll make some tea for you. I just hope you feel better after thinking things through."


Zoe ignored his statement once again and sipped her tea. "So do we have any plans today, or am I stuck with going to work with you because...I can't remember."


"You answered our own question. You're not allowed to stay home alone because you can't remember to do a lot of things. And my answer is yes to us having plans. My schedule is cleared but will soon be filled coming up soon. We have to go to Japan for our tour."


"So what's today's agenda?"


"Well we definitely need to do some online research for a private school, also we can search for yoga classes for you. Didn't you say you and Amie were getting your nails done?"


"Oppa too much for me to remember." Zoe complained.


"I'm not asking you to remember, I'm just giving you a couple of ideas. That's all."


"Ohh okay. Well I definitely want my nails done."


"Of course you do." Jinki teased. "I'm going to call Luna and Victoria and ask if they're willing to take yoga classes with you weekly."


"Luna?"


"Yes." He picked up the phone and dialed Luna's number.


"Your girlfriend?"


"Zoe she wasn't my girlfriend." He ignored Zoe's comment before Luna answered the phone. "Hi Luna."


"Onew? I haven't talked to you in a while. How's it going?"


"Everything is going well, I just wanted to know if you had any free time to join my wife for yoga classes a couple of days out the weeks. Since she's pregnant, she wanted to stay healthy and exercise."


"Of Course! Zoe and I haven't went out on a date in forever. Tell her I miss her, and I better get a baby shower invitation." 


"We've already sent you an invite." Jinki walked away from the kitchen and to talk in private. "Just letting you know, Zoe still thinks you were my girlfriend. You know ever since she's been diagnosed, her memory isn't as crisp, so if anyone or I mention your name she freaks out an get upset."


"Aww she's so cute, why would she think I'm your girlfriend?"


"She likes to surf the net and watch random videos of us and she saw the one when we were doing Dream Team and I fell on top of you, she became very jealous."


"Well I think she's being reasonable. If she gets jealous, it only mean she cares, that's all."


"She doesn't remember you much but she knows your name. So don't become offended if she doesn't seem to like you. Her memory will catch up to her. She forgets people from time to time but once she's been around them long enough, her memory is restored."


"I see, but I'm hoping it turns out well."


"I hope so as well. I wanted to ask if Victoria could or any of the other members were willing to go as well. She really needs to start going out again, although she's pregnant, I need her to stay active."


"Alright, I'll be sure to pass the word!" Luna sounded very enthused about taking yoga lessons as she ended her conversation with Jinki.


"So I talked to Luna and she said she'd be willing to participate in yoga lessons along with you, but you must be willing to be kind to all of them. They're good people and you were really close to them in the past. Just please be nice."


"Arraseo, I'll take your word for it." Zoe was being snooty and sarcastic. All she could think of in her mind was Jinki and Luna being together like boyfriend and girlfriend. Nothing else swept past her mind.


****** 


"Amie we're going to get our nails done like I promised when appa and I were in Krabi." Amie cheered happily along the car ride. "Do you want Mickey Mouse nails."


"Eung joahaeyo."


"Yah, Zoe! Remember who's paying for these nails of yours. Don't go crazy in the nail shop making me pay extra."


"Oppa stop being cheap."


"No, you're just expensive. You have a serious shopping addiction. No matter what you're shopping for."


"Well it'll all end soon when I start working again."


"Yeah right, then you'll spend my money and yours." Jinki and Zoe weren't arguing, but just debating amongst each others beliefs.
Zoe reached over and pinched Jinki's arm while he was driving. "What are you going to do for your birthday?"


"I'll be in Japan so, I won't be doing anything special since I won't have time."


"Awww, poor thing. You've been working so hard lately. I'll prepare something special for you, Minho and Amie." She caressed his resting hand that wasn't the steering wheel.


"That's sweet of you Jagiya."


Once they arrived at the nail shop everyone notices Jinki and his wife. "Omo it's Onew!" A girl blurted from her seat.

 
"His wife is regular customer." The nail tech informed.


"His wife? And they have a daughter? Oh she's so cute." The girl squealed loudly.


"Zoe I'll be with you soon." Said Jung Ah, Zoe's nail tech.


In the meantime Zoe sat down next to Jinki. While they waited patient, the looks and stares continued throughout the shop ever since the couple entered. "Jinki why're thy staring so much? It's quite rude. Even if they do know who you are." Zoe whispered to Jinki. She didn't like being stared at, or any attention being brought to her. It only made her nervous.


"I know but it happens each time I go out. And they're mainly staring at Amie. I'm sure it's because the last time our fans had seen her publicly she was an infant, and now she's older."


"Annyeong!" Two girls greeted Amie cutely from across the shop. Amie didn't greet them until she was forced by her parents. Zoe was not tolerable of Amie's rude behavior.


"Amie when someone is speaking to you, you should speak back." Jinki said in a soft, mild tone. Amie remained quiet and didn't speak to the older girls who greeted her, instead she turned away and rested her head on her father's chest.


"She's so cute, how old is she?" The girls directed their questions towards Jinki."


"She'll be 3 this month."


The girls continued to squeal and asked, "Can we take a picture with you?"


He wasn't expecting for the girls to talk him into taking a photo with him by drawing their attention to Amie and then him. "Not today please." Jinki politely rejected and the fans seemed slightly disappointed. "Right now I'm Jinki, not Onew. I want to have a peaceful time with my family. But thank you."


"Aww Jinki... Just do it once this time okay?" Zoe begged for the girls.


"Fine, I'll take a picture with you right now, but if you happen to see my family and I out, please no photos. I will definitely greet you, but I am just a normal person, trying to live a normal lifestyle."


"We understand! Kamsahapnida!" The fans bowed and took out their phones so they could take a photo with Jinki.


"No problem. You know my stage name is Onew? Well right now I'm offew." Jinki chuckled at his lame joke but made an effort to make his fans laugh.


"Zoe I'm ready for you." Jung Ah had her stationed cleaned and ready for Zoe. "Long time no see. How've you two been?" In her free time, Jung Ah would do nails as a part time job when she didn't have a schedule.


The last time she could remember, she accused Jinki of cheating on her with her nail tech Jung Ah, but they went on a lunch date to prepare something special for Zoe's birthday. Apparently they were just friends and Zoe wasn't aware that Jung Ah had been a singer from 'After School' and that Jinki just had a lot of friends in the music industry. It was just once Zoe's memory began to dwindle, she assumed the wrong thing about other women which annoyed Jinki. Also when Zoe wasn't fond of women that were friends with Jinki, she didn't hesitate to show that she wasn't interested in being close to them, but in this case, Zoe's memory wasn't as crisp causing discomfort around other women or people in general she couldn't remember very well.


"We've been doing well. Soon we'll be bringing home another baby." Jinki replied.


"I see! Zoe you're still so small, how much longer do you have left?" Jung Ah was excited but didn't know why Zoe seemed so bitter that day.


"I'll have two months left after this."


"When is the baby shower?" Jung Ah asked while Zoe soaked her nails.


"It'll be on the 28th of this month. We have a lot going on within the last few weeks of his month. We already sent out invitations, so be on the lookout for one." Jinki replied.


"Where do you plan to have it?"


"At our home. Just somewhere that is comfortable and cozy. I'd rather everyone travel to our home in case a snow storm occurs. Some facilities close down during severe snow storms and I don't want to be disappointed so I decided to have it home." Zoe said in through detail.


"That makes a lot of sense. Did you invite a lot of people?"


"Mostly family is attending but a few of our friends are invited. Right now since Zoe is far along I want her to work and exercise. I know it's late in the pregnancy to be concerned about her health but I want the birthing process to be a little easier if she did yoga during the week. When it was warmer we'd go out for walks but it's too cold." Jinki explained to Jung Ah wondering if she'd be interested in getting closer to his wife.


"That's very understanding and a concern. I heard yoga is the best for the mother during pregnancy. I wish I could get into doing yoga myself."


"Well we're searching for yoga classes, so if you're interested maybe you could join Zoe with some of her other friends. She's been in the house too much lately and I want her to just enjoy life outside of home."


"Zoe he has a point. It's not healthy to be home all the time. You should get out and have fun with the girls. It never hurts to go out and have fun." Jung Ah advised Zoe that she should get out more for her own well being.


"Yeah you're right." Zoe agreed after giving it some thought. She felt she was around Jinki too much and he needed his personal space.


"So if you happen to find a yoga class nearby let me know so I can join." Zoe agreed to being more opened to getting closer to others. After coming from the nail shop, the couple went to the mall, once again in the public which Jinki hated. 


"Can we make this trip the mall very quick? I don't have all day," Jinki snapped.


"Fine. I won't get much, I just want to look around and if there's anything I like."


"Zoe you like everything you see. If you could buy the entire store you would."


"Well you made a point before when you said I don't have much space for all my clothes."


"So you actually listened to me and remembered?" He teased while chuckling. "We'll see if you action follow my words when get there."


"Let's make this quick. I already have a feeling everyone will be watching and crowding around, because of you. I mean what's so exciting. You're just a normal person like me."


"Well I'm good looking. Would you walk past a handsome guy without getting a good look at his face?" Jinki bragged giving off a narcissistic vibe.


"Oh get over yourself babe."


"Amie are you going to watch umma try on the whole store?"


Before Zoe could reply to Jinki's statement, a few girls passed by snickering and giggling. They were fans watching Jinki and his wife from a distance.

Jinki greeted them politely along with Zoe and Amie. Although Zoe was not the celebrity, she thought it was polite to greet the fans.


"Annyeonghasaeyo!" Jinki greeted and bowed respectively to his fans repeatedly until they made into the entry of the store. 


"Annyeonghasaeyo welcome to Macy's!" Jinki and Zoe greeted back to the sales associate. "Are you looking for anything in particular today?"


"I'm pregnant and I just want something simple. I'm in my third trimester so I don't need much. Just something comfortable." Zoe explained.


"I can definitely help you, come right this way!" She lead them to an escalator. While Jinki and Zoe followed the woman, they noticed a crowd of people nearby were crowding around them and following them. "I see you're very popular amongst the ladies." The woman stated.


"Kamsahapnida!" Jinki blushed and acted timid. Zoe thought it was cute and she could happily remember that feeling of how cute he was when they first met. 


"Is this your daughter?"


"Yeh, this is Amie. Say hi Amie."


"Annyeong!" The woman said cutely to Amie.


Amie hesitated then greeted her unnie formally. "Annyeonghasaeyo."


"Aww cute!" The sales associate couldn't resist Amie's cuteness and caressed her cheeks.


"Kamsahapnida! She hardly ever greets anyone politely. This is the first time."


Getting off of the escalator, the woman directed them to the maternity section for women. "If you need anything else let me know and I'll be here to assist you," she said before she bowed and walked away. It sees to have became crowded when fans found out Jinki was at the local mall.


Since there had been so many people crowding the couple, Jinki could no longer tell the fans to stop taking photos. "Oppa it's too many people here." Zoe became shy and overwhelmed about the large crowd of people watching them.


"Do you want to leave and go some place else where there would be less people?" 


Zoe shrugged without any given response, instead she just looked around, she couldn't help but to look through the racks of clothes. Although she wanted to be in a less crowded place she still wanted to have a look around. "I think I really only need pants."


"Zoe you honestly don't need anything else babe. Although I did being you here, you have plenty of maternity clothes at home. Let's just cut down on the spending please."


"Can I at least try this on?" Zoe had a pair of leggings that had a leather like material on them. She went into a nearby fitting room and tried them on while Jinki waited, along with the fans that crowded around them. "How do these look on me?"


"They're y. How much are they?"


"I don't know I didn't check." Zoe contorted her body around until she fund the price tag. "They're $50."


"Too expensive."


-"I think they're worth the price."


-Nah do, they're really pretty on you!"


-"Wow! You have the perfect body for a pregnant woman." The nearby fans blurted out numerous compliments about Zoe and her body and she thanked them so dearly even though she knew her body was imperfect.


- "Onew Oppa buy them!" The fans started a chant and Zoe began to beg cutely.


"Jusehyo oppa!" Zoe begged.


"Arraseo!" He gave but just because Zoe begged and the fans encouraged him to do it didn't mean he was going to buy her the entire store.
"I think you all should help me with shopping. It's very exhausting." Zoe offered to the fans although she was a little shy about being watched by everyone, she thought Jinki's fans were very supportive. 


- "Wow Jjinja?!"


- "Jeongmalyo?!" The fans fan-girled the entire time.


"Eung, that way Jinki doesn't have to worry about me taking so long right?"


Jinki nodded and gave a genuine smile towards his wife and fans. He was just glad to see his wife happy doing things she liked again. She was such a bubbly person when he met her and he was beginning to see that again.


"I don't even know where to start."


-"Unnie try this!" One of the fans grabbed another pair of pants that were similar to ones Zoe tried on.


-"What exactly do you have in mind?" It seems that the fans had potentially forgotten about Jinki. But there were still a few who crowded around him and Amie.


"Since Jinki doesn't want me buying much, maybe something inexpensive. Also I prefer pants, but a one piece will work as well. Something nice to wear to work."


-"Unnie you're working?!"


-"Oppa is so good to you!"


"I'll be working at the Étude shop again. So if you recognize me, or I remember you, I'll give you lots of discounts. But don't draw too much attention to me. Oppa is the one with the talent, and good looks." 


-"How do you live with that handsome face everyday?"


-"You dress so nicely, how can we not draw attention to you?"


"Kamsahapnida!" Zoe felt well receiving compliments from Jinki's fans.


As Zoe interacted with some of the fans, Jinki and Amie were surrounded as well admiring Amie. "Onew oppa she's so cute!" A fan squealed. "How old is she?"


"She'll be three soon." Jinki replied.


"Annyeong!" The fan said reaching out to caress Amie's cheek. "Aww you're so squishy just like Onew oppa!" Amie smiled cutely, then occupied herself with her fathers phone.


After hours of making a final decision, Zoe finally bought clothes that fit comfortably and warm for the weather. "Zoe you're going to get all of that?"


"Jinki it's not that much. Much less than what I was going to get before." She walked up to the registered and sat all of her belongings down.
He sighed and pulled out his wallet. "You're on a budget. If you go over then you're not getting the rest. And if you do, you'll be paying off this card." Zoe politely ignored him and waited for the cashier to tell them their total.


"Your total is $175.50."


Jinki handed the cashier his credit card, and began speaking again. "When you get your job at the Étude shop, you're going to pay off this bill." Zoe had already walked off with Amie and began looking at shoes, while Jinki appeared to be talking to himself. Ugh that wife if mines...but I'd do anything for her. That's what's wrong with me now, I do anything for her and Amie and they're spoiled rotten.


He walked over towards the shoes and sat down again while he watched his wife window shop, since he hasn't planned on buying anything else. "Zoe." He called once. "Zoe!"


"Oppa stop yelling. I'm just looking at some baby shoes. They're so cute. Let's buy Amie and Yumi a pair of baby UGG boots!" She picked up a newborn pair for Yumi and showed them to Jinki.


"It's either the clothes, or the boots." He scoffed.


"Jinki you can't do that, we already paid for them." She walked away and had someone give her assistance on finding the right size shoes for Amie.

"Amie do you like these shoes."


"Yeh, umma. Will appa buy them?"


"You'll have to ask, if he says no then we'll come back to get them another time."

 

"And it's never too late to make you return these damn clothes."


"Appa will you buy me new shoes?" Amie asked.


"Next time. Umma spent too much money today. If she returns her clothes, then I could possibly buy the shoes, but I won't promise you."


"Appa!"Amie whined and crossed her arms. "Umma appa said next time."

 

"Jinki you upset Amie and Yumi!" Zoe said as she felt Yumi squirming.


I have two spoiled brats, and a third one on the way. Living with a woman and two girls...