The Missing Time Gap

Babysitting A Badass Gangster

“Ah Young huffed as she got off her motorbike and ran to the spot where she saw Dara getting dragged off to. She heaved a sigh of relief when she found them.

*Dammit, almost too late.* Ah Young fixed herself up and relaxed her expression. She stood with pride as she stared down the thugs.

“Hey, what are you doing Ah Young?” the kidnappers stopped in their track when they saw Ah Young walking towards them, Dara has just fell unconscious. Ah Young held back her disgust.

*How can two guys beat a girl to that state?*

“You guys were doing such a slow job that the brats sent me here to check up on you.” Ah Young waved her hand with a smile, saying hi. Behind that smile, however, the men can sense a feel of threat. No wonder Ah Young was the bosses’ closest member, this girl has dangerous written all over.

“Oh, is that so? Well, we’re done here so you wouldn’t have to worry.” Guy A (because they’re not important or likeable enough to name) responded to Ah Young. But Ah Young can tell she has them shivering in their pants.

*They’re strong with no guts. What a disappointment. Gangs weren’t like this back then. Back then, it was loyalty and courage above all else.*

“Nice! I see you’ve done a good job.” Ah Young winked and signaled to Dara.

“No problem, we should really be heading back now.” Guy B nudged Guy A and they tied Dara up before lifting her on Guy B shoulder.

“Actually, I came here by taxi so can you guys give me a ride?”

The kidnappers nodded and let her follow along.

“You guys ride in the front, I’ll watch over this girl in the back.”

“But-”

“What? You don’t trust me?”

“No, it’s fine.” Guy A responded. “But I’d rather you ride in the front with me and B watch over her..”

“Don’t with me.” Ah Young held two pocket knives to their throats in a moment. “How would I know you’re not going to have a little fun with our hostage? If that happens everything is ruined, you understand bastard?”

“Alright, alright.” Guy A gave up, quivering with cold sweats. “We’ll be in the front.”

Ah Young retracted her knives skillfully swing them back into her pockets. She smiled with a cat-like expression and entered the back of the vehicle. Once entered, she made sure so seat Dara and her near the door, a good distance from those two morons.

*I bet they’re trying to eavesdrop.* Ah Young suspicion led her set her phone on vibrate and tape it on the wall that separates the two guys from them. She then rummaged around for Dara’s phone and when she found it, dialed her own number. Ah Young’s phone kept vibrating and against the wall, made a noise loud and low enough to cover any talking she’s about to do.

Ah Young can hear Dara slow, unsteady breath and hoped she would be calm enough to behave rationally. As expected, Dara’s face displayed a startled expression and Ah Young sighed, knowing this was not going to be an easy talk.

“Dara, listen to me.”

Dara squirmed and struggled against her restraints and mumbled incohesive noises. Dara couldn’t believe that Ah Young was doing this to her. Even if she approached Dara with impure intentions, did their years of being together really amount to so little?

Dara eyes sting with tears of anger and she willed them not to fall. No way in hell was she crying in front of such a person.

Such a person showing such a pained look.

Why does Ah Young look so tired, so worn out, so guilty?

“I’m sorry, Dara, I guess we didn’t think it’d go this far either.” Ah Young sighed and reached out, Dara backed away until she hit the back of the truck. Ah Young removed the tape from Dara’s mouth and shushed her, making sure she wasn’t going to make any unnecessary sound.

“Well, I guess it’s ok to tell someone now.”

Dara looked confuse. She isn’t going to believe Ah Young, of course, and struggled silently to free her hands.

“To be honest, everything you know is true, I did kill your father, and I will never ask for forgiveness for that. I did come back home and I did run away after knowing my father was never going to leave his position to me. However, after that, the secret known to only me and my dad, is what happened during those years I was gone.”

--------

Mr. Kwon turned in his chair as the door opened, revealing his daughter who happily walked inside. It was a little bit after midnight and even the moon was asleep. Mr. Kwon signaled Ah Young to the couch and she seated herself.

“So, how was my run-away act?” Ah Young proudly leaned back with a smirk.

“Well, you killing Park was a bit extra, Ah Young.”

“I wasn’t going to kill him, but they sent a rat inside our squad, I could only do what must be done.”

“Besides that, everything went well. I’ve officially made plans to give my place to Jiyong and I made sure our spy heard every word. After he sent in the report, I ordered our men to dispose of him.”
“I can’t believe such an amateur gang dare to spy on us.” Ah Young spat with spite. “So, how do you want me to deal with them?”

“Watch your words, dear, I know their leader. That bastard sneakiness put a fox to shame. You infiltrate them slowly, don’t rush it.”

“I know, I know. Don’t worry, I’ll make sure to inform you of their every move. And don’t worry, abeoji, I won’t die. So you too, stop trying to put bodyguards on watch for me, you can’t die either.”

Mr. Kwon shook his head. His daughter is too cunning and skilled. He can only comply. But he will definitely make sure she doesn’t die before he does.

The father and daughter chat went on all night until Ah Young has to leave before sunrise, not to leave any suspicion.

“Bye, father.”

“Bye Ah Young.”

“One more thing, that Park Dara kid, what should I do with her?”

“You seem to have found her.”

“I did, and I think I want to keep her.”

Ah Young whispered and smiled before she left. Mr. Kwon shook his head again. Ah Young can be cruel but gentle at the same time. Mr. Kwon know, without a doubt, that Ah Young will protect that young girl and makes sure she grows up wonderfully.