The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Babysitting A Badass Gangster

 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asUH5j2iaEY

 

=================================================

“Dara, are you feeling ok?” Jiyong asked worriedly as he finished bandaging her cut. Dara nodded weakly. Sure they haven’t seen each other for years, but Ah Young and her were so close you’d think they were related if you didn’t know better.

*How could she? How?*

Dara let another tear leaked out and Jiyong sighed. He wiped the tear away again and rested her head on his shoulder.

“I’m sorry, Kwon Jiyong.”

“For what?”

“I’m sorry I didn’t believe you. Now that I’ve thought about it, there’s no way you could’ve been the person from back then, you’re younger than me after all.”

Dara put on her best effort and let out what was meant to be a giggle, but sounded nothing less of a grunt.

“That’s ok, it’s not your fault, given the circumstances.”

Jiyong pulled her back to face him and Dara nodded.

“Do you want to go home and rest? We can talk about her another day.” Jiyong didn’t want to mention his sister’s name, in fear of another tear falling down Dara’s face.

But she shook her head. “I want to know, I won’t be able to sleep if I don’t.”

Jiyong nodded tiredly and settled himself besides Dara.

“Well, first of, did I tell you that she's my sister?”

“Really?” Dara was surprised, but her voice was too weak to show. “I didn’t know.”

“Not many people did, she left the Kwon right after that year that, you know.”

Dara nodded, knowing which event he was hinting at.

“My noona, I’m sorry if I offend you, was the coolest person ever. She was strong, smart, beautiful, she has everything. She was the person I admired most.”

Dara felt a little anger when Jiyong talked about the person that ruined her family with sparkles in his eyes. But she couldn’t deny that all those things were true. Ah Young had meant the same to her.

“Oh, sorry, I got carried away.” Jiyong snapped his head to Dara apologetically but Dara signaled for him to continue.

“Well, you see, everyone thought that she was going to be the next leader so since young, she was brought in to help with gang activities, and she was freaking amazing at them.”

“That is, until I was born.”

“Until you were born?”

“Because I’m a guy. Noona was only allowed to participate in gang activities because at that time, my mother had not given birth to any boy. I know it’s very cliche, but my father was stuck on having me as the next leader.”

-----

“And I hated you for that, Jiyong.” Ah Young mumbled to herself as she watched the Kwon’s mansion, hidden by the branches. “I worked so hard, trained so hard, I even lived as a boy for father, but when you were born, everything was taken away." Ah Young angrily clawed at the tree until her skin are torn from the barks.

------

“I had no intention of being the leader, I love fun too much to do so, and I made it clear to her.” Jiyong sighed dejectedly.

“I follow her around, but she always pushes me away. And because of me, she got that tattoo, I hurt her.”

“You hurt her? What do you mean?”

-----

Ah Young hummed the simple tune of Because You Loved Me as she recalled the memories.

Ah Young was around 13 or 14 at the time when she overheard her father talking to his assistant.

“We have to kill him, a traitor cannot be allowed to live, it will give ideas who those who want to walk away from our gang.”

“Yes, sir, I will find him and kill him, along with his family.”

“Let me do it, father!” Ah Young barged in on the conversation, her feet could not keep still from the excitement.

“Ah Young, how dare you? Do you have any manners?”

“Gangsters needing manners? Are you sick in the head father?”

The Kwon leader did not mind her rude tone of voice, he loved it and was proud of it. Ah Young was the perfect gangster, perfect except for the fact that she’s a girl.

“This is not child’s play, Ah Young, leave.”

“We don’t have time, father. If we don’t find them soon, who knows, they’ll leave the country. And you know I’m the best at tracking down people, let me do it, please.”

The Kwon leader was in deep thought, it was true what his genius daughter had said. He sighed and massaged his forehead, this was one mission he couldn't afford to fail.

“Fine, I’ll let you do it.”

Ah Young stopped holding her breath and smiled happily, it was rare for her father to let her get involved in missions since Jiyong was born. Ah Young found them within three days, of course, and she tracked them down. What happened after that, well, you already know.

Ah Young ran home happily, sure that her father was going to praise her for what she did and recognized her ability.

But when Ah Young got home, she couldn’t believed what she was seeing. Jiyong was on top of the stage with her father and everyone from the gang was there. Her father, her cruel cruel father, stepped up to the microphone and announced that Jiyong would take his place as the leader once he is old enough. An announcement with a smile on his face.

Ah Young wanted to cry so bad. The world was unfair.

------

“I met eyes with her at that time and the look on her face broke me. I’ve hurt the person I cared for the most. But what was worse, that same day, after the ceremony was over a few hours later. Ah Young came running in, her shirt soaked with blood and tear stains were clear on her face. She ran to my father and pulled her shirt down to revealed a newly done dragon tattoo, the one given to the males of the family line. It was still fresh and I can see her flesh burning up.”

“She kept repeating ‘Look, I got the tattoo for you, so please don’t take this away from me.’”

Dara held Jiyong close to comfort him when she thought tears were threatened to fall. Thinking that he’s responsible for such a thing was unimaginable.

“It’s not your fault.”

“It is. You wouldn’t understand Dara, how horrible it was for me.”

Dara nodded, understanding his rebellion against his father. If it was her, she wasn’t sure if she can continue to live in such a family. Dara continues to pat Jiyong’s shoulder throughout the night until it was time for both of them to go home.

“Thanks, I’m sorry again for doubting you.”

Dara waved goodbye and turned to go in. Jiyong hesitated but he pulled her back anyway and landed a kiss on her forehead, Dara let out a pleasant gasp.

“The response I still owe you, I’ll let you know tomorrow since this isn’t an appropriate time. So wake up early, we’ll go somewhere nice.”

With that, Jiyong waved goodbye and waited until Dara went inside to leave. Jiyong walked inside with a lighter mood and springs in his steps that he didn’t noticed the strange atmosphere.

“Boss, where were you?” Taeyang ran up and hissed in his ears.

“Bringing Dara home, why?”

“You will not believe who’s bac-” Seungri started when a voice rang from the stairs.

“Omo, my little brother, you’re finally back? I was waiting for you.”

Ah Young called with a tray of cookies in her hands.