Bedtime Story

Babysitting A Badass Gangster

 

“After that, I heard she was in the hospital for a short period of time before they sent her to the orphanage. The kids there were mean to her and she ran away shortly after. That’s when she moved to Seoul and started working her off to pay for her living expenses and her mom in the hospital.” TOP explained to Big Bang and they looked over at Jiyong with uncertain eyes.

“Why are you bums looking at me like that?”

“Boss, I know you want to chase her away. But why can’t we just scare her. Why bring up old wounds?” Seungri and the rest nodded.

“Bull. And you too, don’t sit there pitying the girl.” He put his hands in his pocket and left with a string of curses.

“Where are you going?”

“To beat the crap out of someone.” Big Bang ran after him.

-----

“Dara, you ok?” Bom asked, worried.

“No, that bastard is so hard to understand! First he saved me, then he said he’ll make my life hell, then he caught fireflies for me, and suddenly he made me remember unnecessary memories.”

“That’s just how boys are.” Bom shrugged and filed the nails.

“I swear I can kill that moody .”

“Why don’t you?” Dara sat up and looked at her best friend.

“Why would I go back there?! After being humiliated like that?!’

“If you’re not gonna do it because of your pride, do it for you mom in the hospital.” Dara softened at the mention of her mother. She clenched her fist and stood up.

“Where are you going?”

“To tell that screwed up jerk our story.” Dara smiled and darted out the door.

“Bom, what’s your real intention in telling her to go back?”

“You know me well, Chaerin. I don’t want to be too detailed but I think it’ll go well for Dara to have someone by her side.”

“How about us?” Minzy asked Bom.

“We’ve been together forever. But I don’t think that’ll be enough to support her once she found out.” Bom shrugged and went back to filing her nail.

-----

“Yo, Kwon Jiyong, open this damn gate! If you don’t, I swear I’m going to scream all night! I’m going to sprout curses at you and your family until you opened this DAMN GATE!!!!” Dara the door bell until Mr. Butler came out and let her in. He led her up to see Jiyong.

*He doesn’t look happy to see me.* But Jiyong heart, unknown to Dara, did a flip-flop when he saw her walked in.

“What are you doing here this late? Have you change your mind and want to have after all?” He smirked and cocked his head to the side.

“In your dream jerk.” She closed the door and sat down next to him. “So why are you here?”

“To tell you a story.”

“I’m freakin 24 years old; I don’t need some damn bed story.”

“Oh, then you’re younger than me. Which mean I can do this.” Dara smacked the back of his head. “Do you think I have free time to drag myself to this hell hole just to tell you a stupid bedtime story, you brat?” Dara glared at him and begin the story, much to Jiyong’s dismay.

“Let’s see, from then until now should already be 18 years right?” Dara felt a nostalgic feeling swelled up when she recalled how many years have passed.

-----

After Dara and her mother was submitted to the hospital, Dara felt numb and void. The only reason she was trying her best to eat and sleep was because of her mother. She remembered how her mother always takes care of her, buying pretty clothes for her, saying that she was a beautiful girl and that she resembled her dad.

“Mommy, you wouldn’t be happy if I’m frail and ugly right? Even if daddy isn’t here anymore, when you wake up, I’ll definitely be here.” The little Dara sat by her mom’s side and held on to her hand until she fell asleep.

This went on until Dara’s injuries and sprains were completely healed. The hospital couldn’t house her anymore so they decided to call an orphanage.

“NO! LET GO OF ME. I NEED TO BE BY MOM’S SIDE. LET GO OF ME, I’M NOT GOING. LET GO!” Dara struggled futilely as the social workers dragged her out. “Don’t worry, the orphanage isn’t far. You can always see your mom.” Dara cried and cried until her eyes were puffy and red. The men introduced her to the orphanage warden and she smiled.

“This is where you’ll be staying, don’t worry, there are many others just like you. You’ll make lots of friends.” Dara didn’t care about making friends; she’s only worried about her mother. She was afraid they’ll take her mom away from her.

“Who’s the new kid?”

“I don’t know.”

“She looks pathetic.”

Dara went and sat in her own little corner. She grabbed a pencil and some paper and started to draw. “Hey kid, heard you’re new.” A big girl with freckles dotting her nose came up to Dara. She didn’t look up and continued drawing.

“Hey, I’m talking to you.” Dara stared up with a blank expression and nodded weakly. “Why the sad face? Is it because your mom abandoned you?” the girl snickered.

“It isn’t like that!! I was never abandoned!” Dara was mad not, she stood up and glared up at the girl. The whole class was staring now.

“Everyone here said that, but you’re just denying the truth yourself!” the girl said and pushed Dara back. “You’re like the rest of us, abandoned by god.”

“I’m not anything like you! I’m beautiful and have my mommy, while you have nothing but an ugly face filled with freckles.” For a 10 year-old, Dara had a fierce temper and a rude speech.

“What did you just call me?” The girl raised her arm and swung it down on Dara, but a voice stopped her.

“Won’t you shut your freakin mouth so I can sleep?!” A young but fiery Chaerin yelled out. Everyone, including Dara, turned their heads toward two young girls.

 “Yeah, it’s almost nap time, can’t you just save your fights for later?” 10 year-old Bom said with a spoiled attitude and walked over to Dara.

“Ooh, you are one heck of a cutie. I’m Bom, what’s your name?”

“Don’t ignore me!” Bom ignored freckled-face nodded over at Chaerin.

“Come on, we can learn more about each other.”

-----

“That’s how I first met Bom and Chaerin.” Dara chuckled at little Chaerin. “We became friends fast because our situations were the same. Both Chaerin and Bom have no parents and we both hated freckled-face. I would even take them to visit my mom sometimes. We stayed together through thick and thin for 5 years. We met Minzy around the time I was planning our escape and decided to take her with us since she’s so cute and like to follow us.”

-----

“After 5 goddam years, we can finally get out of this hell hole.” Chaerin hissed silently as Dara went over their plan for the umpteenth time.

“Are you sure you want to come with us Minzy? It’s a really long trip to Seoul.” 5 years old Minzy nodded eagerly. Dara smiled.

“Ok, so here’s the plan.” They huddled together.