A Field Full of Lilies

Babysitting A Badass Gangster

 

“Daddy, where are we going?” Dara, who was only 10 years old at the time, asked her father. Mr. Park was a man with a stern expression but a generous heart. People often misunderstood him for his mean face, but her mother and she knew better. They were a happy family of three, traveling to the country side to celebrate Dara’s 11th birthday.

“We’re going to see heaven on earth, Dara.”

“What does that mean?” Dara tugged her mother’s shirt, the beautiful lady with dark brown hair and hazel eyes looked down at the small little treasure in front of her and smiles. “You’ll know when you get there, honey.”

“Is it where you and daddy met?” Dara asked with a pair of mischievous eyes. “Yes honey, it is.”

“Then I definitely want to see, today’ll be the best day in my whole entire life!” Dara giggled innocently.

They arrived a few hours later. Dara’s was sore but she helped unpack anyway. As soon as they carried their luggage inside their small country house, Dara rushed her mother and pulled her along to the field of lilies behind their house.

“Woah~ This is beautiful! I didn’t know we have a garden here.”

“That’s because we planted them last year when we’re here. They bloomed just in time.” Mr. Park said as Dara ran around the field while her parents watch over her. Mrs. Park rested her head on Mr. Park’s shoulder and he swung his arm around her while enveloping her right hand with his left one.

“Isn’t she beautiful, honey?”

“Yeah, just like you.”

“How long do you think this’ll last?” Mrs. Park buried her face in her husband’s chest and he patted her back for comfort.

“Don’t worry, whatever happens, I’ll protect the both of you, just like I always have.”

“Daddy, mommy, don’t stand there, come and catch fireflies with me!”

“Right away honey!” Mr. Park ran over and carried Dara up, twirling her around before rubbing his nose against her. “Come on, sweetheart, I’ll catch you a handful of stars.”

After a day of playing, they slowly walked back, hand in hand, to their small house. “Mommy, when are we eating the cake? I’m really hungry.” Dara whined and jumped on her bed. Her mother tried to quiet the girl down.

“Honey, quiet down. Your dad is just downstairs getting some candles. So be a good girl and wait for him, if we eat now you don’t get your wish.”

“I’ve got that covered!” Dara went under her bed and pulled out a small, torn up shoe box. She opened it to reveal a rainbow of cranes. “I’ve been folding them since last year. Because you said the same thing every year, I got tired of waiting for daddy to get the candles. He always came up with none and they were always hidden in your pocket.” Dara giggled, “So now even if we don’t have candles for the cake, I’ll still get my wish.”

Suddenly, there was a loud crash from downstairs, Mrs. Park turned as pale as the white frosting on the cake. Dara looked at her with confused eyes.

“Dara, daddy’s clumsy so I’ll have to go down to help him. Now listen to me, if you don’t, I’m going to be really mad. Stay up here, and whatever you do or hear, don’t come downstairs.” Her mother was shaking but her grip firm on Dara’s shoulders.

“Why?”

“You know how sensitive your father is, he’ll get embarrassed if you see him messing up things.” Mrs. Park smoothed out Dara’s messy hair and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead. “I love you.”

“Why did you do that, mommy?” Dara said and pouted, her mother was acting strange.

“It’s the truth, and I’m just scared I won’t able to say that anymore.”

“That’s not true; you have your whole life to say it. I don’t understand what you’re saying, but I love you too.” Dara placed a small kiss on her mother’s forehead as well.

Mrs. Park released her grip on Dara’s shoulder and walked to the door, taking one final glance at Dara before shutting it gently behind her. That night, a beautiful field of lilies erupted into a sea of flames.