The New Leader

Babysitting A Badass Gangster

“We have faced a great loss, dear members. However, the boss did not leave us with nothing. On his dead bed, he left a will and as his right hand man, I am here to carry out that will.”

“I hereby announce our new leader, Kwon Jiyong.”

Jiyong stepped to the middle and cringed as the claps and cheers of the gang suffocated him.

The day before…

“Dara, let’s go on a date.” Jiyong excitedly suggested. Dara sighed and rubbed her head. “I don’t want to. I have been absent from school forever and they would’ve kicked me out if not for the fact that you’re my back-up person.”

“Who cares about school? This capable boyfriend of yours will keep you safe and happy forever.” Jiyong pulled Dara in and give her a small peck.

“Dammit Kwon Jiyong, you make sure to keep that promise for the rest of your life.” Dara got up and headed towards the restroom to get ready.

Jiyong looked after her and a small, content smile escaped his lips. He saw his reflection in the TV across the room and caught his own goofy face staring back. Who would’ve thought out of all people, a gangster like him who be able to find someone he loves and treasures so much.

Fifteen minutes later, Dara came out dressed in a cute shirt and jeans, her hair tied up into a neat bun. Jiyong caught the same goofy face in the TV, only this time, his smile stretches to his ears.

“Let’s go.” Dara picked up her purse from the chair and sat down at the doorstep to put on her shoes. Jiyong followed and halted. Dara’s long, slender neck could be seen with all that hair tied up.

*That won’t do. I won’t have anyone drooling after my girl.*

He walked up to Dara and snapped her cute baby blue scrunchy; her hair fell effortlessly down.

“Wait, what?” Dara reached up to her hair. “Kwon Jiyong, did you do something?”

“What are you talking about, babe? Come on, we’re not getting any younger.”

“The scrunchy must’ve snapped, I should’ve used a thicker one.”

-----

“Father, are you in there?” Ah Young knocked on the door, her hand carrying a food tray. “You haven’t had your breakfast so I’m getting worried.”

Ah Young reached up to her hair and pulled out the bobby pin that was pulling her bang back.

“Sorry to be rude father, but we don’t have to talk about courtesy between us gangsters right?”

Mr. Kwon looked up to see his daughter. His daughter he was so proud of, his daughter that he had loved with all his heart, his daughter that he had broke.

“What are you planning?”

“Nothing father, just bringing you your meal.” Ah Young looked around the room. “You must eat this, father, must. This is the meal your daughter took so long to make for you, after all.”

With that, Ah Young left the room. Mr. Kwon stared at the food and slowly picked up the pair of chopsticks.

-----

After going to the movies like any ordinary couple would, the Daragon couple left due to boredom. Dara suggested the idea of going bowling and they spent the rest of the evening either bowling, riding Jiyong’s motorbike, or disturbing customers at a karaoke place.

“That was fun.” Dara sighed and rested her head upon Jiyong’s shoulder. He smoothed her hair with his left hand and rested his head against hers. Nothing could ever ruin this sweet moment.

Suddenly, Jiyong’s phone rang and strings of curses left his mouth.

“What?”

“Hey Kwon Jiyong.” TOP whispered through the phone in a stoic voice. Jiyong’s alert went up because TOP never referred to him using his full name unless something was up.

“Listen calmly ok? The boss is…”

Jiyong didn’t remember the rest of what TOP had said. All he remember was apologizing to Dara and rushing like a maniac to the mansion.

“The source of poison was cyanide mixed in with the food.”

“That’s nonsense.” Jiyong steadied his croaky voice. “Abeoji isn’t someone who would get fooled by such a trick.”

“The thing is,” TOP continued with his report, “the one who brought the food was Ah Young.”

Jiyong froze. It was Ah Young again, it was his sister, Ah Young.

“Ji-”

Jiyong raised up a hand to stop Taeyang from going any further. He needed to think right now. He left to his room. Big Bang looked worriedly to him but can’t do anything else to help.

Present…

After a long night of hell, Jiyong found himself standing on this terrible scaffold, accepting his position as leader. TOP and the rest had taken their time to inform the concerned Dara.

Jiyong knew they did for him, but he asked them not to bring Dara today. The last thing he wanted was for her to see this disgusting side of him.

“Kwon Jiyong, are you willing to accept?”

Without saying anything, Jiyong nodded and the clappings of the crowd drowned out the sound of his broken heart.