Firecrackers

Babysitting A Badass Gangster

“Hey Jiyong, you’re back?”

“Ah Young? What are you doing here?”

“Blunt as always.” Ah Young clicked her tongue; she walked downstairs and settled in front of Jiyong. “Cookies?”

“Answer the question.” Jiyong grounded out.

“You’ve became more aggressive.” Ah Young said with a smile and bit into one of the cookies herself. “Delish.”

“Answer the question, Ah Young.”

“Call me noona like you used to.”

“Why would I?”

“I won’t answer if you don’t.”

Jiyong took a deep breath. “Noona.”

Ah Young giggled in delight and popped one of the cookies into Jiyon’g mouth. “Go ask daddy, he’s upstairs.” She bounced away excitedly. Jiyong grumbled and chew on the cookie. It was cinnamon flavored, his favorite.

Mr. Kwon was sitting in his office room. He was rarely home because of all the “business” activities to take care of, if only his stubborn son would stop being such a guilty coward and stepped up to take his place. His eyebrows gets close to touching in the middle as he contemplated on the decision he has just made.

“Father!” Jiyong came in without knocking and closed the door behind him.

“Why is noona back with us?”

“Go ask her yourself.”

“I did, she wouldn’t answer me.”

The Kwon leader sighed to himself.

“I let her back.”

“Why?”

“Because she asked.”

“Is that all? I don’t buy it; you wouldn’t let her back just because she asked, you’re too cold-hearted for that.”

“Jiyong, are you really not taking over my place?” The leader asked with hope in his eyes; but these eyes were too old and tired and angry for too long that it’s almost impossible to notice.

“I already told you, I’m never taking your place.”

Mr. Kwon sighed and rubbed his temples. “Then you don’t need to know, leave now.”

“But-”

“Leave.” When the leader of a gang, and your own father at that, told you to leave with a voice like stone, you can’t disobey.

Jiyong bowed and retreated, unsatisfied. *There’s something he’s hiding from me.*

“Why didn’t you tell him?”

Ah Young came out from behind the windows’ curtains. “You heard?”

“You knew I was there.”

“And you knew I wouldn’t tell Jiyong unless he accepted the responsibility to be the next leader.”

Ah Young was sure her stubborn trait was passed down from her father’s side, and she was rarely wrong.

“I know, I was just wondering, that’s all.” Ah Young put a cigarette in and blew a puff of eerie smoke that faded under the moonlight. “Want one?”

“You know I can’t smoke.” The Kwon leader was strong, but he was already old. Anything like smoking and drinking will impair his health greatly.

“It’s like you wish for me to die early.”

“That’s nonsense, daddy dearest, I’m just trying to be a good daughter.” Ah Young tucked away the pack of cigarettes and continue blowing smoke into the air.

-----

Dara woke up early that morning and went all girly. She done her makeup so that it was light, but still attractive. She also pulled out one of Bom’s blouse that wore it over a tank top because the blouse was see-through. Dara put on heels and finished off with a pair of jeans. She glanced at the clock hanging on the wall and saw that it was only 6:30. She sighed and sat herself before the TV and surfed the channels. Her phone vibrated and she lit up to see that it was Jiyong. She calmly pressed “Answered” after five rings to make it look like she was still sleeping.

“Hello?”

“Are you up yet?” Jiyong’s husky voice rang from the other end.

“Why?”

“I’m already outside of your house, so if you’re up we can go.”

Dara internally screamed and cleared before speaking into the phone again. “Well, I’m up now. Give me 30 minutes and I’ll be right down.”

Jiyong said ok and they both hung up. Now Dara just have to fidget around for half an hour; she didn’t want to make it obvious by walking right out with fully dressed.

After 30 agonizing minutes, she walked out the door and sure enough, Jiyong was there. “Should we go?”

Dara looked around for something. “You didn’t bring your car?”

Jiyong ruffled his hair, embarrassed. “Well, I thought that we can walk around together today, since all the places I’ll be taking you are close to each other.”

Dara nodded hesitantly and looked down at her heels. “Ok, let’s go.” She linked arms with him and they both walked down the streets.

After 15 minutes, they reached a small restaurant and went inside. Jiyong ordered black bean noodles for both of them and Dara digged in, somewhat displeased. Not that she hated it; but after coming up with something so sweet last night she had expected a little more.

They both finished eating and went for ice-cream, after ice-cream it’s watching a magic show in the park. Conclusion: They’ve been walking all morning! It was nearly ten o’clock and Dara’s feet were getting blisters and close to bleeding.

“Could we sit down a bit?” Dara pulled on Jiyong’s sleeves and the clueless lad nodded. They both sat on the water fountain’s edge and Dara carefully massages her legs.

“Are we going to any other places?”

“Of course! I have a whole plan for us you know. We’re going to the Hans River after this and we’re going to talk along the river because I heard they were doing a show. Then we’ll walk to this restaurant a and hopefully we’ll make it back in time for a firework showing.”

“Aish this jerk!” Dara blew up.

“What’s wrong?” Jiyong jumped back in shock.

“Can’t you be a bit more considerate? I’m wearing heels for god’s sake and they hurt like hell!”

Dara teared up and was taken back when Jiyong just laughed.

“I know, I’ve been waiting all morning for you to admit that those killer heels was a bad option.”

Jiyong pulled out a box suddenly and opened them to reveal a pair of sneakers.

“I bought these a while back; I thought we might need them later on.”

He bent down and removed the heels from her feet before placing them comfortably in the sneakers he bought; they fit perfectly.

Dara let out a sobbed; touched.

“Stupid, did you think I wouldn’t notice? I always look at you after all, so I notice everything.”

Dara punched his chest. “You’re so not romantic.”

“Really? I think I am.” Jiyong pulled her in for a hug and when he backed away, a necklace was place gently on her neck. The necklace was a little porcupine with Dara spelled behind it.

“I really like you, Sandara Park, go out with me?”

Dara let out a happy chuckle and nodded. “I can’t say no to a gangster.”

Jiyong leaned down and their faces nearing. Dara closed her eyes and flew to cloud nine when their lips touched. They both smiled through the kiss and nearby, little kids were lighting up small firecrackers to fill in for the missing fireworks.