My First Day of School

My Jerkie Teukie Lee Teuk

              I woke up early to take a nice refreshing shower and got ready for school. I was looking forward to this. I’m going to have so much fun here. I can tell already. I couldn’t wait to meet new people and make friends. I was looking myself in the mirror when Joo Chan knocked on the door.

              “Are you finished yet? You have five minutes.”

              “I’m done, I’m done.” I hollered back. I grabbed my bag with all the things that I’ll need for the day and headed out. Joo Chan was already in the kitchen waiting for me to eat with him.

              “Where are your parents?” I asked.

              “They left already.”

              “Already!”

              “Yeah. They told me to wait for you.”

              “Sorry.”

              “Just hurry up and eat okay. You don‘t want to be late your first day here” He said but then paused, “…but more importantly, I would get really mad if you make me late for my job.”

              “I just got here okay, I‘m pretty sure you‘re not going to lose you job. ” I said and gobbled up my breakfast. “I’m also a fast eater so you won’t be late.” Joo Chan was just looking at me like I was starved or something because he had a surprised look on his face. “What?” I asked.

              He just shook his head smiling. “Nothing. Are you done?”

              I nodded. I said bye to Mrs. Ahn who was clearing our plates for us and followed Joo Chan to the car. I expected to see Mr. Ahn there waiting for us in the car but he wasn’t there. I was about to open the door to the back of the car but Joo Chan brushed my hands away from the handle. “Sit in the front with me. I don’t bite okay.”

              I looked at him surprised. I didn’t think that he would want me sitting in the front with him seeing how he acted yesterday and this morning. I did as I was told and sat up in the front with him. I looked out the window as we passed the sky scrappers. Being this early in the morning, the streets were bustling with life. There were many people already walking the streets. Most dressed in suits and dresses. I guess they were going to work too like Joo Chan.

              “Good night sleep?” He asked drawing back my attention

              “It was okay.”

              “How many years are you already into college?”

              “My third year.”

              “How old are you?”

              “Twenty-one.”

              “That’ll explain it.” he said bluntly.

              “What‘s that suppose to mean.” I asked.

              “Act like a little kid who still needs to be trained.”

              “Yah! And how old are you? Thirty? That explain why you can’t have a little fun.”

              He just laughed it off. “There you go again. Can’t take a little joking around.”

 We stopped in front of a big white building. A bunch of people were rushing into the building.

              “Hurry up or you’ll be late.” Joo Chan said.

              “Thanks for the ride.” I said and ran out. But before I could even get into the building I just had to be clumsily and bumped into a girl.

              “I’m so sorry. Are you okay?” I said helping her up.

              “Of course I’m not-” When she saw me her face lighted up. “You must be the new student here that Mr. Baek was telling us about!”

              “So you’re okay then?”

              “Yes, yes. I’m okay.”

              “I’m sorry again. “ I apologized.

              “No problem. If we keep on standing here we’re going to be late for class.” She said and took my hand and ran into the building.

              “Don’t I need to check into the main office first?” I asked.

              “Oh yes that.” she dragged me into the office where I got my schedule and everything else that I’ll be needing.

              Right when we got out of the office she started talking to me again.

              “So what classes are you having first?” she said.

              “Uh....Art 254.”

              “Really! Oh my gosh! That’s my class too. Let’s go together!!!” She said happily. “Did I tell you my name yet?”

              I shook my head.

              “I’m Song Hye Joo.” She said excitedly. “You’re going to have so much fun here.”

              “Nice to meet you Song Hye Joo. I’m Lillian-“

              “I know who you are already. Lee Lillian. Professor Baek is really excited to have you join us.”

              I just smiled at her. She really likes to talk just like Annie. I can tell already that we’re both going to become great friends.

              “Well here we are. Room 221 b.” she cheerfully said and opened the door.

              The room was like any other art room. Painting, and drawings and sculptures here and there. The students were already hard at work, working on their paintings or sculpture. There in the middle of the room was a guy with regular-street-looking clothing with an apron on helping a girl with something. He wore glasses that made him look like a total nerd and his skin was fair. He had a little go-tee going on. He didn’t even look like he should even be teaching us. He looked like he was just our age and I’m not even kidding you. It’s either that or that he doesn’t age easily which is unfair.

              “Is that Professor Baek?”

              “Who? She asked.

              “The guy with the go-tee going on?”

              “No he’s the teacher’s assistance.”

              “That’ll explain it. Then who’s the teacher?”

              “He the guy over there by Jae In.” She pointed to the guy over the window helping this girl out. He had an apron on except was older looking and didn’t have glasses. He was fuller in size and had strands of hair starting to grow. His face lighted up when he saw me. “You’re the new student from the U.S.”

              “Yeh.”

              “Nice to have you here with us. So you bumped into Hye Joo already. Fine girl she is. You can sit next to Hyo Joo.”

              I just smile and nodded.  I followed Hye Joo to her seat. She got my paint and easel and paper for my painting. Before I could get started on my painting Professor Baek interrupted us.

              “May I have your attention please?”

               Everyone turned to his direction.

              “Since I don’t give out test like your other classes, I have a project for you all to complete. Your project is to create a collage of anything. It could be out of anything medium you want it to be. This is what you would have to do before this quarter is done, which is the end of this month giving you about 4 weeks.”

              “Four weeks! I’ll be gone then.” I mumbled to myself.

              “How long are you here for?”

              “Just three weeks.”

              “Professor Baek...Does that mean that I’ll have to do it too?” I asked.

              “Yes you too. You’ll just have to complete this sooner then the other students.”

              “Okay.”

              As soon as class was over, Sung Hye Joo came by and started chattering to me all over again, asking about the American celebrities.

              I looked down at my class schedule. Music theory was next. “Well, I got to go. I have Music next”

              “Oh okay. Well, if you ever need anything just give me a call and I’ll gladly lend a hand okay.” She smiled and quickly wrote her number on a piece of paper.

              “Thanks.”

             “Oh and my friends and I are going to go chill at a café later, so if you have time, just tell me okay.” She added.

              “I can’t today, but maybe some other time.”

              “Well... you better start heading before you’re late for class then.” She smiled and walked away.

              This girl is very nice. Acts a little like Annie too. I smiled and hurried along to my class before I was late.

              The rest of the day was okay I guess. I was daydreaming for the most part. Some of the teachers had me introduce myself to the class while others just showed me to my seat. Unfortunately, not all of the students were as down-to-earth as Hye Joo was. Most of the students stared at me as I walked to my seat making me feel very uncomfortable.

____________________________________________________________

I promise that Lee Teuk will be coming up shortly after the next chapter...I promise =)

       -Aaliya,smile always =)