Dress Shopping

My Jerkie Teukie Lee Teuk

     I sat in the Kim’s living room is disbelief as a I paged through picture after pictures of my father and Mr. Kim childhood, growing up together and everything.

 

     “Your parents and us talked about introducing you two to each other several times, but never go the opportunity. We thought that since you’re going to school, you would never want to give up a semester to be here and get to know us, so we decided it be best that you come here as a student, living under our roof.”

 

     Anger swelled up in me. Feeling as though my life if just full of lies. Frustration, hurt, disgust. Everything is just so wrong right now. Tears swelled up in my eyes.

 

     “Your parents are coming here for our celebration banquet. That was the only way we found out that you were here in Korea. They called your friend asking to speak to you since you’ve been not answering your phone. She eventually told them the whole story of your decision to come here and where you are at the moment. Do you know how scared your parents were? Did you know how scared we were too? As our future-daughter”

 

     “NO! “ I interrupted Mr. Kim. “No. I hate this entire situation. I hate-“ I stopped myself before I would say more. “I can’t.” was all I said before I left the room and ran up into the old room. I locked myself in and just cried all my anger and frustration out. Just lies after lies. Is there no truth anymore?

 

              

     The next few days as we prepared for the banquet was rough. Mr. Kim informed me that my parents will be in Korea in the next few days. I was not ready to face them. I was guilty of going behind their back and not telling them but at the same time, they lied to me, not just one lie, but two. That hurts the most. Grandma Kim asked Joo Chan to take me to find a dress for the banquet. He even tried cheering me up by cracking jokes, but it was hopeless.

     When we both arrived at the boutique, the amount of dresses that surrounded me just overwhelmed me. They ask me what type of dress I wanted, what fabric, what style. In all honesty, I was so confused and didn’t even know what to say. The consultant decided to just pick out random dresses, something she thought would look nice. She put me in a blue ball gown dress, a satin bodice and tulle bottom. Around the wait was intricate floral beading. I felt like I was buried alive in this dress.

     “So what do you think?” She asked me, with a huge smile.

 

     I shook my head in response. “Too big. Maybe something not to busy?”

 

     She went back out to find another dress. This one was a red satin mermaid dress. It definitely wasn’t too busy, but this time, it was way to y for attending a celebration banquet. I shook my head on this one as well as all the other ones that she will continue to bring to me to try on. At last when I was just getting tired, she game into the room with a simple soft pink chiffon a-line dress. Luckily it wasn’t strapless, making the dress just a little bit for comfortable. The bodice had little ruching, adding just a little bit of character to the dress. Around the waist was a tiny black ribbon which the consultant tied into a bow in back. She then quickly put my hair into a messy updo.

 

     “Is this one better?”

 

     I turned around, examining myself in the mirror. “It’s perfect.” I said. The consultant suggested we go show Joo Chan, but I protested otherwise. He’ll just have to wait until the banquet.

 

     There was silence in the car as we headed back to the Kim’s place. I saw Joo Chan struggling many times to say something. I first I ignored it but after a while I did started to feel bad.

 

     “It’s okay Joo Chan,” I finally said. “I’m not mad anymore.”

 

     “Well,” He started, “I was able to contact Super Junior. I was thinking to get your mind off of things, maybe we can all to some place cold with lots of snow and skiing.”

 

     SUPER JUNIOR!!! SKIIING!!!! I tried to hide the little smile that started to form on my face but he caught it before I could hide it.

 

     “I finally succeeded in making you smile,” he teased.

     “Thanks Joo Chan.”