Grandmas are the Greatest

My Jerkie Teukie Lee Teuk

                His face told everything…like something terrible had happen so I pushed my hunger aside for now. “Oh...it’s okay. I wasn’t that...hungry.”

                “Sorry. It’s just my grandma.”

                “Oh. I’m fine.”

                He nodded and told Mr. Ahn the situation and we all left. I hope the waiter doesn’t get too mad about us leaving like this with out the food. At least Joo Chan left a tip for him. We got into the car and started off. I wasn’t really sure where we were heading.

                 Mr. Ahn slightly turned his head. “So Mrs. Kim at the hospital or is she at home?”

                 “Mom said she was rushed to the hospital.” Joo Chan answered.

                 “Oh okay then. There we will go.”

                 It was a quiet ride after. No one talked. The silence was awkward but no one did anything. I wanted to break it but I didn’t, instead I just looked outside the window, looking at the buildings as we passed by. There were people on the street going about their business. The trees were already starting to change color. I started to drift away in my own little world when the car came to a stop in front of a big white building. Joo Chan sat there for a while. I just looked at him a little confused. Mr. Ahn wasn’t getting out either, so I just sat there awkwardly waiting for someone to move.

                 “Are we going to...”

                 “Yeah.” He said and opened the door. I opened mine and followed the both of them inside. They went up to the front desk to a nurse with her hair up in a bun.

                 “Hello. How may I help you?” she asked sweetly.

                 “I’m here to see Mrs. Kim Hye Kyo.”

                 “Room 231B.”

                 “Thank you.” He smiled and we headed towards the elevator.

                 When Joo Chan opened the door, there was an old grandma sleeping there with a mask over her face and a woman there holding her hands.

                 “Grandma, I’m here.” Joo Chan announced going by her side.

I stood by the foot of the bed by Mr. Ahn. The grandma slowly turned her head to look at her grandson. From under her mask I saw a smile form from underneath.

                 “Is Appa not here yet?”

                 The lady just shook her head.

                 “Did you call him yet?” Joo Chan asked.

                  “Yeah. He’s on his way.”

                   Joo Chan turned to look at me and told me to come forward. That was when the lady saw me and the grandma as well.

                 “Umma...this is Lillian, the girl from the U.S.”

                 She got up and smiled at me, but you could tell she was worried. “It’s a pleasure to have you stay with us.”

                 “Gamsahapmida. I’m pretty sure I’m going to have a fun time here.”

                 “I hope Joo Chan wasn’t too much of a pain. He’s a really sweet boy actually." Mrs. Kim said.

                 I turned to look at Joo Chan who was a little embarrassed. “Oh he was no pain at all..As sweet as an apple.” I smiled back. Joo Chan a sweet boy, he has no respect for me.

                 “I’m sorry about this. We couldn’t wait for your arrival, but then this happen.”

                 “No, it’s no problem. I really don’t mind at all." I assured her.

                 “You must be hungry?” She said.

                 “I ate a little. I should be fine.”

                 “I’ll go and get something for you down stairs.” She said and headed on her way.

                 “No I’m really fine. I had something to eat-.”

                 “Don’t be silly. I’ll grab you a sandwich." She insisted..

                 As soon as she was out of the room I turn to look at Joo Chan. “She’s your umma?”

                 He nodded. “She’s excited to have you here with us.”

                 I laughed. “I can tell. So she’s your grandma then?”

                 He nodded his head again. “She’s been sick for a while now, that’s why I came home.”

                 “I see.” I found guilt in myself. I haven’t visit my grandma since summer break and that was two months ago. She’s probably waiting for me to visit her sometime. I’ll visit her as soon as I get back home.

                 “Yes grandma.”

                 I looked at him. I didn’t hear her speak.

                 “She just asked if I had a fun ride back.”

                 “Oh.”

                 “She wants to talk to you.”

                 I looked at him confused. “She wants to talk to me?”

                 “Yeah. I’ll be outside.” Joo Chan along with Mr. Ahn left the room.

                 I went up to her side and sat down. Her eyes were worried but she had a smile on her face, showing the wrinkles by the side of her eyes. She took my hands into hers and patted it for a while.

                 “You’re really Lillian Lee?”

                 I smiled and nodded.

                “You’re even prettier in person then in the picture.”

                 I blushed. “Thank you.”

                “I was so excited, waiting and then this had to happen. I’m so sorry.”

                “It’s really okay Mrs. Kim.”

                “Don’t call me that. Just call me grandma.”

                “Oh okay then grandma. I’m fine with it. It’s better that you’re here and recovering then waiting for me at home.”

               “So, how many people are in your family?”

               “Four. There’s my mom, my dad, and my grandma and me.”

               “Your grandma?”

               “Yeah, she lives with us.”

               She nodded her head. “You’re just like Joo Chan too then. The only child.”

              “I guess.”

              She looked at me. “Did he cause trouble?”

              “No.” I lied.

              “Tell me young lady, did Joo Chan bug you on the way here?”

              “No.”

              “I’ll yell at him for you. That’ll teach him.”

              “He did nothing actually.”

              “I’m not believing you.”

              This was really starting to make me feel very uncomfortable. “He did...but don’t yell at him okay. It’s just a little thing.”

              “Is that why he have marks on his face?”

              I looked at her shocked. “You’re very observant.”

              “You did that to him?”

              I nodded embarrassed. I thought she was going to yell at me but she just started laughing hysterically.

              “A girl has never done such a thing to him before.”

              “I’m sorry.”

              “No need to be sorry. That’ll teach him to mess with you.” she laughed.

               Joo Chan came in confused himself. “I heard you laughing and just thought I should come in and check.”

              “He’s a sweet boy really.”

              I just nodded again and smile. She’s just like my grandma. They would enjoy each others company.

             “Grandma’s already recovering having her here with me.” She said proudly. I just smiled at her. They both would enjoy each other’s company. Such energy they both have. Joo Chan along with Mr. Ahn came in, Joo Chan standing next to me and Mr. Ahn at the foot of the bed again.

            “Is that son of mine coming yet?” grandma asked impatiently.

            Mr. Ahn looked up a little bit surprise and cleared his throat. “What did you say? I didn’t hear you.”

           “Is he coming yet?”

           “Oh yes, on his way.”

           She smiled and nodded her head. She turned her attention on me and Joo Chan. She just looked at the both of us with a smile on her face like she was satisfied with something, which made me feel awkward. Luckily, Mrs. Kim came into the room with my lunch.

          “I didn’t know what you wanted so I just grabbed a turkey sandwich and a can of juice. Is that okay with you?”

          “Oh more then okay. I wasn’t that hungry.”

          “Go ahead and eat. You look really dehydrated. Haven’t eaten for a while now?” the grandma said.

          I just gave her an assuring smile and grabbed the sandwich and juice. I took a seat at the corner of the room where the sofas were set up and started eating. I just got started eating when I felt like I was being watched. I looked up and saw all of them looking at me.

         “I’m being so rude...” I smiled meekly. “Did anyone of you....want some?”

          Everyone in the room just smiled and laughed. Well, everyone except for Joo Chan. I wasn’t sure if it was a smile or a smirk. I went into the sandwich. I opened the can, hoping not to distract their conversation. I was drinking it when Joo Chan’s grandma asked me a question making me choke.

          “Mweo?” I asked patting my chest. Mrs. Kim and Mr. Ahn just looked at me and then at her in wide eyes. I wasn’t sure if they were surprised by my reaction or by her question.

          “Grandma, why did you ask her that?” Joo Chan said in a hush tone, probably hoping I didn’t hear.

____________________________________________________________

What could Grandma Kim have said so make her choke...and what about that satisfied smile that she had on here face when she looked at both Lillian and Joo Chan...read on to find out ^-^  Feel free to leave comments too.
      

       -Aaliya,smile always

 ( )_( )
(='_'=) SMILE FOR THE BUNNY!!!
 (")_(")