Chapter Thirty

Love is a work of Art

 

Meanwhile in Su Myung's ward, Luhan was soaking a towel with hot water. He placed the hot towel on  Su Myung's forehead, and looked at her hooded eyes. "Su Myung are you asleep? It's time for lunch." Luhan said. Her eyes slowly opened and stared at Luhan. Her eyes twinkled and her face shown with joy as she saw Luhan in front of her. She did weak nod, and struggled to sit up. Luhan saw her struggle and helped her sit up. "Here let me." Their faces met and they locked their eyes together, but Su Myung was the first to look away. "What's for lunch?" She asked weakly breaking the silence. "Uh... Soup." He smirked remembering the last time he had soup with Su Myung. "What are you smiling about? Afraid that I might pummel you again?" She giggled. "Just eat the soup" He said holding the spoonful of soup. When the spoon was about to enter there was a knock on the door. Luhan put the spoon back into the bowl and headed towards the door.

He slid the door open and was greeted by a nun. "A-annyeonhaseyo, how can I help you?" Luhan asked the stranger. "What a handsome boy you are.... I am looking for Lee Su Myung. I was told that she would be in this ward." The nun replied. "Yes, this is her room but may I ask what relationship with her is?" He wondered. "Ah. I'm sorry, I didn't introduce myself. I am Su Myung's God Mother." She smiled. "Teacher?! Is that you, I didn't even recognize you! It's me! Xi Luhan!" He exclaimed with joy. At first God Mother looked at him in confusion but a smile rang up on her face, "Luhan-ah! Wow! I didn't even recognize you either! You have grown up to be such a handsome man!" His face flushed red, “Come inside, Su Myung just woke up.”

Right when God Mother spotted Su Myung she burst into tears. “God Mother!” Su Myung cried. God Mother went over to Su Myung and embraced her, “My dear, dear, child. My beautiful child. Why is god doing this to you? Are you alright my dear?” She asked. “I fine, just a little weak but I can get through this.” She replied coughing between each word. Her God Mother gave a small smile and looked at Luhan who was standing at the bottom of the bed. “Luhan, come here.” She waved her arm. Luhan obliged and came. Her God Mother held his hand and Su Myung’s hand. “All though I don’t know what her condition is, I know that she will get through this. God would be too cruel to cruel to give up such a precious life after all that she has been through. Luhan. Stay by her side. She needs someone special by her side. She needs someone to hold on, and I want you Luhan. I want you to take care of her from now on. Bless you.” She bowed to Luhan with tears pouring out of her eyes. “God Mother~” He spoke with a gentle voice. “Please, she needs someone to be with her. She needs you Luhan.”

Su Myung’s hand moved over to Luhans spare hand and held it with her delicate fingers. He stared at the hand in confusion and looked up to meet Su Myung’s eyes. She grinned and nodded her hear. “D-d-don’t worry God Mother, I will take good care of her.” Her God Mother clasped her hands together and put them up to her face. She bowed to Luhan and Su Myung. “Bless you two.”

 

After a few hours of conversing with each other Su Myung’s God Mother decided to leave back to the church. They said their good-byes and she left. On her way out of the hospital she bumped into a young girl. “Ah. Chesongayo.” The young female said while tears run down her face. “Oh. Why is such a beautiful girl crying?” God Mother asked. “It’s nothing. Everything’s fine.” She said without making eye contact. “Well it doesn’t look like everything is fine. Here come sit, tell me what is wrong.” She directed the young female to the waiting room full of chairs. God Mother grabbed some tissues from her satchel and handed it to the young girl. “Tell me what is wrong. What is making this beautiful face cry?” The girl didn’t reply. God Mother sensed that something was stressing her out. She didn’t wait for an answer. She didn’t want to pester her with questions that she didn’t want to answer, so what she said was:

 

“Life isn’t always the best. You can’t let your pain be bottled up in a jar. Make it soar through the sky like an eagle. Leave the rest to god. Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. Choose this day to not simply be alive but to live”

 

The young female wiped away her tears after hearing those words. She looked up at the nun and gave a slight smile. “What is your name dear?” The God Mother wondered. “Suzy. Lee Suzy.”