SuhoxLisa

Lovely Lisa

Kim Junmyeon was your typical Asian son. He was obedient, kind, hardworking, and respectful to everyone he met. And most of all, he made his parents proud for he had done everything asked of him without complaint. His mother had wanted to become a doctor because she said, “no other profession beats the prestige of a doctor.” Although he had initially wanted to become a singer, he obeyed his mother’s words and went into the college of medicine. He was now Doctor Kim Junmyeon and had made his parents proud once again.

 

One day when Junmyeon was told to take his friend and co-worker, Park Hyungsik’s case, he met a girl that made his heart leaped, a sensation he had never experienced. And this girl would be the reason he questioned everything.

 

Junmyeon grabbed his white coat from the chair and stifled a yawn before making his way to the third floor of S.K Hospital. Hyungsik was busy with a V.I.P patient so Junmyeon was told to step in his place. He read the chart, Lisa Manoban, 23, complained about pain in wrist. He hadn’t expected anything different, just another patient, just another day. But he was sorely mistaken when he came face to face with the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. She had taken his breath away just by sitting there and that made him extremely uncomfortable. 

 

“Ah, annyeonghaseyo, I’m Doctor Kim Junmyeon. Nurse Park said you were experiencing some pain in your wrist, Miss Manoban?”

 

The orange-haired beauty nodded her head. “Can I ask you how long its been hurting?”

 

He swore he couldn’t breathe when she answered, “about two days?” Her voice was as sweet as honey, almost childlike. 

 

“May I take a look Miss Manoban?” he asked.

 

Lisa laughed, much to Junmyeon’s surprise. “Please,” she said, “call me Lisa. Miss Manoban makes me sound old.”

 

He nodded, “ah, yes.”

 

Junmyeon was an avid reader. He read pretty much anything that he could. So sometimes when he came across a romance novel, he’d pick it up. In almost every book, the author would describe the interaction of the main characters as “electric”. He had scoffed at it. That was highly impossible. But when he took hold of Lisa’s hands, Junmyeon knew that electric feeling was indeed real and he didn’t know what to do of it. 

 

He examined her wrist, careful not to hurt her even more. His heart stopped when she winced and immediately set his eyes on her with worry, “I’m sorry Lisa-ssi. I’ll try to be more careful.”

 

Again, she surprised him again by laughing. He didn’t know how to describe her laugh but he did know he liked hearing it. She comforted him saying, “it’s okay Doctor Kim, I’m just exaggerating.”

 

After more examinations, he came to the conclusion that her wrist was sprained. “I was worried your wrist was broken, but it seems to be just a sprain. But to make sure, I’ll have you get an x-ray. After that, nurse Park will be back to give you a cast to support your wrist--”

 

He was suddenly cut off when she said, “can’t you give me the cast?”

 

“W-what?”

 

She laughed again. “I’m sorry. Nurse Park just gives me creepy vibes.”

 

This time, it was Junmyeon who laughed. “Don’t worry, nurse Park isn’t creepy, he’s just a little eccentric?”

 

That night, Junmyeon could not go to sleep, especially not with the image of Lisa stuck in his head. 

 

He’d meet her again when she came back, this time to support her friend who was going through surgery. They had talked, making jokes like old friends while her friend watched in wonder. And with the courage, he thought he didn’t have, he asked for her number which she gladly gave him. “Text me when you’re bored,” she said.

 

And text her, he did. At first, it had started out with casual greetings which turned to daily conversations. That turned to short phone calls and by the end of the month, it had turned to hour-long talks. They talked about everything, likes, and dislikes, friends, school, work, etc. And with that came casual meetups which soon turned to dates. He had been a nervous wreck the first time he asked her out, resulting in her laughter as she called him “adorable”. 

 

He was now leaving the house more often, and not just for work which raised his parent’s suspicions. He told them he was meeting friends which were the truth. Because of Lisa, he had reconnected with his friends from school. She told him, “your life shouldn’t revolve around just work oppa. People need friends. How long has it been since you’ve seen your friends?” 

 

He forgot how much fun it was just to hang out with his friends and not have to worry about work and his parents. They caught up with one another, with his friend Chanyeol even inviting him to his wedding and for him to sing. “I’m always telling Chaeyoung how good of a singer you were.” He had hesitated but accepted.


 

On his day off, which was a rarity especially since it was flu season, Junmyeon decided to visit the beach and called Lisa to invite her. He didn’t know if she would accept, who visits the beach in the winter, Kim Junmyeon? But she surprised him as always. “Of course I’ll come oppa. Aigoo, my boyfriend still doesn’t know me very well hmm?” she joked. Boyfriend. He still couldn’t believe Lisa was his girlfriend. How had someone like her come to be with someone like him? She was so outgoing and didn’t seem to care what people thought while he was constantly thinking about what others thought. 

 

The beach was beautiful as always but it was almost bare since it was getting colder these days. But he didn’t mind, he liked it that way. He waited by his car until he heard a, “oppa, I’m here!”

 

He smiled when he saw his beautiful girlfriend running towards him, her arms wide open for him. Skinship was very new for him while it was as natural as breathing for her. She’d surprised him with sudden kisses and out of the blue hugs, something he wasn’t used to but definitely did not mind. “I think I’m in love.”

 

She took his hands and together, they walked along the beach, enjoying the large waves coming in and the clear blue sky that looked like it came out of a painting. Junmyeon was excitedly chattering about the different sea creatures when Lisa stopped in her track and asked, “are you wearing dress shoes?”

 

Her sudden question caught him off guard and made him blush. “Yeah? I don’t really own sneakers since my mother sai---”

 

She laughed and said, “you’re such a mama’s boy, oppa. But this isn’t okay.” Lisa shook her head in disappointment and made him sit down on the sand. “Please take off your shoes and socks.”

 

He didn’t ask any questions and did as he was told. Before he could say or do anything else, Lisa took his hands, forcing him to stand up, and dragged him into the water. Junmyeon yelped as his bare feet touched the cold water but seeing Lisa smile so widely, he didn’t mind.

 

Junmyeon and Lisa didn’t say anything, just screamed in pure satisfaction as they played in the freezing cold water knowing well enough they might get sick in the morning. Junmyeon laughed like he never did before as he splashed Lisa who screamed in delight, splashing him back. 

 

By the time they were tired and too cold to continue their water fight, they were both drenched head to toe, shivering. Junmyeon lead Lisa to his car and wrapped his cardigan over her. “Here, let’s share,” she offered, “you’re shivering.

 

And so they sat in his trunk, letting the sun dry them off. “I had lunch with Chaeyoung yesterday when she told me that you’re going to sing at her wedding? I didn’t know you could sing, oppa.”

 

“When I was younger, I wanted to become a singer, but I never told my parents because they always said it wasn’t a real job. So, I became a doctor instead.”

 

Then she asked him to sing for her. He had never sung for anyone before. “I don’t think my voice is any good, it was just a hobby.”

 

“I’ll be the judge of that oppa.”

 

And so he sang for her. For the first time in his life, Kim Junmyeon was doing something he loved and it felt amazing. 

 

“You were phenomenal oppa. If you had become a singer, I’d be your number one fan.” For the first time since they started dating, Kim Junmyeon initiated a kiss, catching Lisa by surprise. But she wasn’t complaining. Her lips were so soft and inviting, he couldn’t get enough of it. If she allowed, he would kiss it all day. 

 

When they broke off, Lisa had on the biggest smile. “Do it again.” And so he did. 

 

The couple sat in the back of Junmueon’s trunk, all wet and yet enjoying each other’s taste. 

 

It had been a year since Lisa and Junmyeon dated, and he knew it was time for Lisa to meet his parents. “Are you sure about this oppa? What if they don’t like me? Do I look okay?”

 

Junmyeon took hold of his girlfriend’s shoulders and said, “Hey, look at me. They’d be crazy not to like you and you look beautiful as always.”

 

Hand in hand, the two walked inside his luxurious home, with Lisa admiring everything she saw. “And only three people live here? What do you guys do with the spare rooms?” Junmyeon patiently answered all her questions, just happy that she liked his home.

 

Lisa bowed when she met Junmyeon’s parents. His mother, Kim Heejun was a short yet intimidating woman who didn’t even smile at Lisa despite the young girl greeting her. Kim Junhyung was no different. If it hadn’t been for Junmyeon’s hands holding her, she might’ve already run away. 

 

They sat for dinner, all kinds of different Korean dishes sprawled on the long table. “Can you cook, Miss Manoban?” It was Junmyeon’s mother who asked. Lisa knew right away she was the head of the family.

 

“You can call me Lisa, but no,” the girl said, “I can only cook noodles.”

 

“She’s great at cooking noodles, they’re delicious,” Junmyeon said knowing his mother’s intentions.

 

“I didn’t ask, son. And what do you do for a living, Miss Manoban?”

 

“I’m a photographer, ma’am.”

 

“You should really the pictures she takes, mom, they’re absolutely amazing!”

 

Mrs.Kim shot him a dirty look, “yes, I’m quite sure they are.”The rest of dinner was spent with Junmyeon trying to incorporate Lisa into their conversations which she really appreciated but it didn’t seem like his parents wanted to talk to her much. Heck, they refused to even look at her for longer than needed. Dinner was not going well.

 

After dinner had been cleared away, they moved to the living room to talk. As Lisa and Junmyeon sat down, she didn’t miss the hard looks the Kim matriachy was giving her when she noticed how close the two were sitting. “I’ll get straight to the point Miss Manoban. I don’t think you’re suited for my Jun. You can’t cook and you don’t have a job. Photography is not a job, it’s a hobby.”

 

Lisa was a strong woman, but hearing your boyfriend’s mom insult you and your dreams hurt. 

 

“Mom, how could you say that?”

 

“Stay out of this Junmyeon.”

 

“No.” That was a shock not only to his parents but to Lisa as well, especially when she knew how obedient he was to his parents.

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“I’m not going to sit here and let you insult the person I love, mom.”

 

“You’ve certainly changed, son. What happened to my boy who listened to my every word? It’s this girl. Ever since you’ve met this wretched girl, you’ve become a completely different person.”

 

“Yes, I have. I’ve become happier thanks to her. I’ve come to know that there’s more to life than what you’ve taught me.”

 

His mother glared at Lisa. “I will not let you be with this girl! I know of your intentions to marry her and I won’t allow it! I will not let some savage foreigner ruin our pure Korean blood! I demand you break up with her or I’ll disown you!” His mother screamed, rage evident in her eyes.

 

“Choose, son,” his father said. “Will it be us, or her?”

 

Lisa looked at her torn boyfriend. No matter how much she despised his mother for insulting not only her dreams but her background, she couldn’t make him choose her. She would be selfish if she did. Besides, she knew how much he loved his parents. 

 

“Mom, Dad, I love you both, but Lisa’s my world. Without her, I’d be lost. Please don’t make me choose,” he said as his voice broke, “ I don’t want to lose you any of you.”

 

“Kim Junmyeon, you either break up with that girl and live a life of luxury or be with her and face hardship! It’s up to you….son.”

 

Junmyeon looked at his parents and to Lisa who shook her head saying, “oppa, let’s end this now. I don’t want you to choose me over your parents. I want you to live a happy, comfortable life, and even if it isn’t with me, I’ll be fine as long as you are.” He could see her tears threatening to fall. It reminded him of the time when they were watching Coco and she tried not to cry when Mama Coco died but ended up bawling her eyes out.

 

“I’m sorry mom, dad. It’s Lisa and it will always be her.” 

 

Mrs.Kim looked at the young couple and said, “get out of my house. Both of you. Don’t you dare come back Kim Junmyeon. Remember, you chose her. From this day on, I don’t have a son, he died.”

 

Junmyeon and Lisa bowed to his parents with Junmyeon apologizing to them over and over again until they retreated to their rooms. They walked out hand in hand. Junmyeon knew his life wouldn’t be as easy as it was in the past, but he looked at the girl next to him, and said, “as long as you’re by my side, I will always be good. I love you, my Lisa.”

 

“And I love you.”