SeongwooxLisa

Lovely Lisa

               It's such a sunny and beautiful day today, but I can't be happy. Why not? Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not a pessimist or anything. I just can't enjoy the sun's warmth when I've got so much on my mind. Never mind. I lied. Nothing's been on my mind but her. Who you ask? Lalisa. Lalisa Manoban. Also known as my best friend. I know, I know. My situation is so cliche and uninteresting, I admit that. But so what? It's not my fault I fell in love with her. I can't fathom anyone not falling in love with her. Yes, she was that beautiful, no not only beautiful, she's caring, humble, hardworking, and just too damn perfect. Go ahead, laugh at me all you want. You won't know the pain I'm feeling till you one day go through it yourself. Then you'll truly know my heartaches. Here, let me tell you my situation from the start.

 Lisa and I weren't always best friends. Nope. Not even friends. We used to hate each other as kids. We never really found out why we hated each other so much, we just did. But that hatred, no, strong dislike blossomed into a friendship one day. It was raining really hard but luckily my mom knew the weather ahead of time and stuffed an umbrella in my backpack. The last school bell had just rung and everyone was hurrying to get home. I stayed late in the library because I had to finish an assignment as a punishment for fooling around in class. It's not my fault Mr.Lee was 80 years old and boring the hell out of me. Anyways, the rain had gotten even worse and I had never been more thankful for my mom's job than that day and I was pretty sure everyone had left. But then I saw her, hiding under the school's roof to shield herself from the rain. This was a perfect oppertunity for me to strike back at her! After all, she was the one that snitched on me. I went closer with ideas of pushing her in the rain, but stopped in my tracks when I heard sniffles. Was she crying? I was never good at dealing with crying girls so I left her. But she called my name. "Seongwoo."

  Her voice wasn't full of malice and venom whne my name came out of her lips like they usually were. It was soft and almost vulnerable. My chest hurted. After a long dead silence, I finally replied to her. "Lalisa." 

What she said next really caught me offgaurd. Mabe it was because I never though I'd ever hear those words from her. "Stay with me." 

 

 

 

"Seongwoo-ah." I knew it was her calling me. No one else called me that. I know it's my name but no one really called me that, except for my grandmother... and her. I turn and God, she looks beautiful even if she's just wearing a plain white tee with those simple blue jeans of her that she loves so much. "Yes, Lalisa?" My heart palpitates as she smiles at me, her eyes sparkling in the sunlight, her lips pink and plump. "You know I love you right?" Yeah.. I know. I knew she loved me, but not the way I wish she did. She gets ahold of my arms and swings around like a little kid. I can't help but smile at her actions. "Pabo, if you don't love me, who else are you going to love?" 

"I can list a few. My mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, Chaeyoung, Jisoo..." I shake my head and laugh. "Okay, I get it. What do you want Lalisa? I know you want something. Spill it." 

She squeezes my cheeks and says, "aigoo, our Seongwoo knows me too well. Chingu-ya, do me a favor." I'm almost afraid to hear what she wants. I think I know what she wants. No, I know it. Please, anything but that, please anything but that, please anyth-- "Could you find out if Donghyuk from Class 1A is interested in me?" Please...

I have to stay calm. I have to. "You mean Kim Donghyuk? Jennie, your other best friend's cousin? Why don't you ask her? Why ask me? I'm no help to you with this kind of syuff, you know. Remember what happened with Jongin hyung?" I know I'm rambling, but I can't help it. She likes likes Donghyuk, Kim Donghyuk. Why Kim Donghyuk out of all people? Don't get me wrong, Donghyuk is a nice kid. But, he's too much of a boyfriend material! He's too perfect! He's too nice, and caring, and handsome, and talented, and and... and not me. I sound so selfish don't I? I know...

  "No way! Jennie can't know! She's never going to stop teasing me for being like all the other girls who fall for her cousin! But I can't help it, Donghyuk is so handsome, so..." I can't hear a word she says although I'm focusing on her lips. They looked soft and inviting. My eyes wander to her eyes. Big round doe eyes that mesmerize me everytime I look into them. My eyes travel to her ears. She'd always got ticklish when I whisperd in them. And lastly, my eyes scan her nose. She was so insecure about it, and everytime, I'd tell her they were perfect. 

It's a bright beautiful sunny Saturday in the middle of May in Seoul. I'm supposed to be enjoying the day, the sun's warmth. But how can I when the person I loved just told me she was in love with someone else? If you were in my situation, could you?

"Yah Ong Seongwoo!"

"Yah Lalisa Manoban!"

She's staring at me, her cheeks puffed out. How cute. Her hands are on her hips. How bossy. "Did you hear anything I just said?" I shook my head honestly. "I'll listen when you say something important." I know I've hurt her, now I feel bad.

"Yah, what's gotten into you?"

"You. You've gotten into me."

She doesn't believe me, I know. She never does. Especially when I tell her she looks beautiful. "What are you saying? Ya, did you swallow the wrong pill? You play too much, stupid." I know she's nervous. She's rambling.

"Before you say anything else, listen to me. I'm not going to hide my feelings for you anymore, neither am I going to deny it anymore. How am I supposed to stay your best friend and pretend as if I don't want to kiss you everytime I see your lips? How am I supposed to act as if I weren't in love with you when I see you everyday? Tell me how I'm supposed to pretend you're not the most important person in my life because damn, you are. Everyone called me a fool because I followed you around like a lost puppy, but maybe I am for you. Don't you know how much your smile, your tears, your laugh, and you just existing affect me?" She doesn't say a word, and I continue my rant. "I didn't want to admit that I had fallen for my best friend. I was never going to tell you of my feelings because I knew they were unrequited.." 

She interrupts me with saying, "how do you know they're unrequited? Your feelings.."

I stare at her, confused. "What?.."

"How do you know they're unrequited?!" She's yelling. "How do you know I don't love you too! Your talking about how I don't know how much I affect you, but you're the one that doesn't see how much you affect me! When you're sad, I do everything in my power to make you smile. When you smile, I feel like everything is just right. When you cry, I feel as if someone broke my heart into pieces. But when you laugh, I feel satisfied, and content like your laughter was music. I was going to confess that day, you know. On your birthday. But when we were cutting the cake I bought you, you excitedly told me about how you asked Yuju out and how she had said yes. You remembered when I cried but laughed it away and told you it was because I was so happy for you that you'd gotten yourself a girlfriend? Do you reme----"

Seongwoo grabbed her shoulders, and wrapped his arms around the now crying girl. "I'm sorry Lalice... if only I'd paid closer attention and had been less selfish. I'm so sorry." He released her, and looking into those eyes, he wiped away her tears. "I can't promise that I won't make you cry again, because I don't want to make promises I can't keep. Especially to you. But what I can promise is that, I'll love you, consider your feelings, make sure you're happy, comfort you when you're sad, and be by your side through all the ups and down." 

He was staring at her lips again, the urge to kiss her stronger than ever. And this time, he didn't hold back. Neither did she.