HanLice

Lovely Lisa

 I didn't believe in sayings. Especially ones about love. How do human beings survive off on love and those iffy things? I always thought they were dumb and never trusted those stupid things. Hmph, love. What was love, I used to ask myself. What was the point of love? Why do people search for their soul mates? Aren't they chosen for you by your parents or something? Like me, I knew who my soulmate was, or I thought I did. My parents would choose a nice looking vampire that they thought was good for me and when I turned 18, I would get married to whomever they chose for me. I once asked my mother when I was just a tiny little thing with no knowledge of the world yet why they chose our spouses for us. She touched my shoulders and made me face her, but it wasn't rough, it was gentle and warm. She said,"My dear baby when you are given the freedom to choose your other half, you may choose the wrong one. Look at humans. They marry and vow to be by each other's side all their life but what eventually happens?" I shrugged for I had no idea whatsoever. "They end up going different ways and who suffers in between? The children. That's why we as parents choose them for you. So that, that mistake may never happen to you and if you have kids, your kids. Do yo understand now?" I nodded. From that day on, I've never asked anything on the topic of marriage or love ever again or question my parent's decisions. That is until I met him. I started to question my whole life like a person with amnesia.

Humans knew we existed but they keep out of our way and we out of theirs. That is how we like it. They leave us be, we let them live. Easy as that. But that was about to change the day I met him. He was a new transfer student at our school with a set pack. Heavenly looks, good height, clear skin, silk-like hair, heart warming smile and the most beautiful set of eyes you've seen. Vampires and humans all fell for him instantly. He introduced himself and all the girls paid attention. "Annyeong! Jeonun Kim Hanbin ibnida." 

Kim Hanbin was the talk of the school from day 1. Everywhere he went, girls swooned over him, fought to be by his side, and filled his locker with lavishing gifts. He would accept them with a smile making the girls fall even harder. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes out as I passed his locker. "Do they have nothing better to do than being thirsty?" I muttered to myself. I'm pretty sure I whispered but apparently, he heard me and gave me a smirk. "Do people have nothing better to do than hate?" I turned around knowing it was directed to me. I bored into his brown orbs he, mine. And that is how we started talking, no bickering is more like it.

We would argue over the smallest things, from pencils to lunch. And sometimes things like what I wore, how ugly his face was, if I was on my period, how he was dumber than dumb. "Do you even look at yourself in the mirror? Oh wait, I forgot, your face shattered them all." He would give me his infamous smirk and come back. "I don't need one, girls at this school are my mirrors. Do you see how much they admire me? Complimenting me each day, fighting over the vacant spot next to me, and spoiling me with extravagant gifts." 

I didn't realize it at first but we were getting closer each day. Every day that we bicker, I'm never bored with anything, I come excited to school and look forward to our little arguments. I didn't know how much he affected me and how important he was in my life. Even if we did argue 24/7 we were best friends, that's what he likes to call it. Me? I call us, frenemies. We're friends but since we bicker so much people might think we're enemies. But don't get me wrong, we don't just bicker, we talk about serious things too but it was rare.

Even though he had lots of fangirls, he had never shown interest in one so I was surprised when he told me he had feelings for one. Somethings so alarmingly unfamiliar hit me in the chest. All of a sudden, I felt as if I couldn't breathe as if someone had taken all the hydrogen in the world. My chest pounded with pain that tightened. My stomach felt queasy as if I were to throw up, even if I hadn't had any lunch yet. "Lisa, you okay?" His words bring me back to reality and I nod without muttering a word. he looks at me suspiciously before continuing on. 

"She's beautiful. The most beautiful girl I've laid eyes on. And oh, her lips. They look so soft and plump. Her big chocolate brown eyes, a guy could get lost in those. I already did. Her hair flies with the wind on a windy day but never covering her face. They feel so good through my hands. Her attitude? Something I haven't seen from a girl yet. She's bold, intelligent, and definitely witty with a sharp tongue. When I'm with her, time stops and everyone around me disappears. If only she'll accept my feelings and know how much she means to me.

By this time, I'm crying and I don't know why. Maybe because he just confessed his love for someone else. Why do I even care? I don't believe in love. I tell myself that over and over again, but I know it's not true anymore. The idea that love was stupid flew out of my life the day he came into mine. "Why are you crying? Lalice?" He knows I hate that name but it sounds so good coming out of his lips. "Did I say something wrong?" Stupid fool. He just confessed his love for someone else in front of me and still asks me what's wrong. Ya Lisa Manoban! He doesn't know your feelings idiot. 

I shake my head. "So who's the girl who took your breath away huh?" Unexpectedly he smiles and reaches for my hands. There it goes! The butterflies in my stomach. Does this happen when humans fall in love? But I'm not a human! "She's right in front of me." I look around and search for her but there's nobody here except us. "Where is she?" He sighs and without another word, plants his lips on mine. Oh my gosh! They're so soft! It feels so good! Is this what it feels like to kiss someone?

"Me?" He laughs. "Who else is there dummy?" And ruffles my hair. "But I'm a vampire." He nods. "And I'm a human. And I thought you were smart. I even praised you!" I hit his chest. "I am smart! But Hanbin-ah." He looks at me with those mesmerizing eyes. "We can't fall in love. I'm a vampire and you're a human. It'll never work out. People will criticize us, and think of what will happen!" I start to cry again. He places his hands under my chin and lifts my face to meet his. "Do you love me?" I nod. "That's all that I need. You love me and I love you. There's even a saying you know. Love conquers all."

It starts to rain but we don't give a care in the world. Under the rain, his lips meet mine once again.