Chapter 33

In Time You'll Love

Dear Mother,

We lost the case today. I don't really know what happened. It was all so fast. Left and right Jay's mother and her lawyer were throwing out criticisms of me that I had never even considered about myself in the slightest. Their speeches were so persuasive I'm even having a hard time now figuring out if i'm a good guy or bad guy. As you can imagine, the judge was persuaded way more easily than I was, so in the end I lost. They told me that I was a bad influence for my son, but I had not done anything to harm him so I would get to spend every other weekend with him. Although I get to see him now legally even if briefly, who knows if his mother will actually uphold the law. I could always call the police on her, but it seems they only ever take her side. Besides, she has full custody of him now. She only agreed to let me have him every other weekend, because she didn't want to waste anymore money on a lawyer. I knew that in the end the court hardly ever seperates a mother from her child, so I agreed to her terms and signed a contract with her. Yet, if she ever feels that I could be a danger to Jay she can easily keep him from me, which she could lie about at any time. I know this all , but I had to agree to her terms or else I'd never see my son again. She probably would've changed his last name and told him his father abandoned him or something. I wonder if he still remembers me. When I went to prison he was only two years old, but now he's seven. Knowing his mother, she probably has already told him such grandiose lies about me. For now though, I have no other choice than to just play nice around her. 

On the lighter side, because I don't want you to worry so much about me, Kibum said yes. Luckily, I made a good impression on his parents, so they gave me their blessing. The night after that I took Kibum out for a romantic picnic in a meadow. He made me a flower crown and put it on my head, joking around that I was a king. So I took the opportunity to ask him to be my queen. Then I pulled out the ring and Kibum cried tears of joy endlessly. I was so happy that I cried a little too, but once the crying eventually was over I did get that picture of us together with Kibum showing off the ring on his finger that you wanted. I'll send a copy to you attached to this letter. 

When we came home that night there was a surprise for both of us waiting there. Jinki, one of the neighbors that I've become good friends with, had thrown us a little surprise engagement party with the other neighbors and our friends. Kibum and I danced all night in celebration and had a good time catching up with friends we hadn't had the time for when we were dealing with Jay's custody case. It was nice to be able to just relax and enjoy ourselves again. It brought small relief to us even though we hadn't really won the battle for Jay. Although the party did get a little strange after we all started drinking. One of the neighbors, Taemin I think his name was, kept trying to be intimate with me. I don't know if he was just drunk or not, but he was really clingy and kept hugging me. Then he tried to sit in my lap, so thinking that he was drunk I carried him to the guest bedroom and set him down on the bed to let him sleep it off. Should I tell Kibum? I hope Kibum doesn't get the wrong idea from what he saw. It probably looks really bad actually, but so far he hasn't wanted to talk to me about it. Maybe he had been too drunk to remember. I don't want to introduce the suspicion into his head, so it's probably best that I don't tell him. Anyways, since we already had the engagement party I suppose there really isn't a need for another one. Still, I'm excited to see you when you fly in next week. 

Your loving son,

Minho