Chapter 25

In Time You'll Love

Dear Jonghyun,

I got a phone call just now in the middle of the night. I write to you now, because I can't go back to sleep without telling someone of such an odd experience. I answered, but there was only an eerie silence. The silence continued for several minutes no matter how many times I uttered a confused,"Hello?", into the receiver. The silence seemed to thicken slowly until it drowned out my voice. It ignored me, casted me aside, shoved my voice down into the bowels of my throat. Bewildered, I let it ring on for a while, too pressed for answers by my curiosity to put the phone down. What must've unsettled me most is that I heard not even the faintness of breathing for a long while. In the back of my mind the fear of death calling for me again must've been brought about, because surely I could feel his icy hands chilling my spine. 

Then I heard a sudden, soft inhale followed by a pained, and abrupt exhale that was cut off as the other end hung up. It seemed to be like a sigh, only more depressing. I felt strangely relieved to have heard life even if it was so brief. As I sit here at my own desk writing until I become as mad as you have, I can't help wondering if it was you that called. Had you finally come to tell me the truth of your mysterious ways? It seemed only fitting that you would be the one to call me and not speak, because whenever we looked at each other we always had such a silent understanding. Perhaps you were testing to see if our bond was as strong even if blind? Well, it must be. True love will always be strong enough to surpass anything, even speech or the afterlife. Yes, I know in my heart that it must've been you on the other line. I recognize now the sigh was exactly as yours. Inhale for two beats, pause for three, then exhale for four beats, your uniquely sequential pattern that always gives me pleasure to hear. It's almost as wonderful as when you speak. Your voice is just the most sensual of sounds, and I long near desperately to hear it again soon.

Let us have dinner together, please? I can finally cook for you. You can come over to my place for a change, and play my piano. I found sheet music for a piano covered in dust just wasting away on the coffee table of your living room. It's a shame to see music in such a state. Since you've got no piano, and I've got one but not a clue how to play it'd be a perfect match just like us! You don't even have to teach me. I won't bother you that much. Just come play a song for me, any song at all. I'm sure it would finally lift your spirits to play after so long. Where did your piano go anyway? Oh I hope I'm not making a fool out of myself by asking you to come play if you in fact actually can't. Still, you should come visit me anyway. It'd be nice to have your company again, and I've never entertained a guest before but given that we are soulmates I doubt I'll do anything you can't forgive me for.

Sincerely,

Taemin ;)