[ChanSoo] Right?

Sinistral Drabble Collection

They say love is something special. You'll feel happier. You'll feel contented when you're with the person you love. But Chanyeol believed that was not the case. 

Why? 

Chanyeol believed you'll only feel happier when the person you love is happy. Even with that scenario, you're not completely happy because it just happens that the person you love is happier with someone else. You will put the person you love before yourself because you want that person to be happy. Seeing them happy makes you happy. Chanyeol believed that is the definition of love because he, himself, experienced love in a cruel, cruel way. 

Chanyeol was deeply in love with his best friend, Kyungsoo. And he had been so for the past three years. But his love still remained unrequited since Kyungsoo never liked him back. Kyungsoo didn't even have a clue Chanyeol loved him. Chanyeol never confessed. He feared their friendship might end if he did so he continued smiling at his best friend as if nothing was wrong, even if there was something wrong. 

What broke Chanyeol was when Kyungsoo told him that he liked someone from his university. And that someone liked him back. Chanyeol wanted to protest but he kept his mouth shut. He wanted to cheer his best friend on from the side lines. It hurt him. It hurt him so much but he still smiled at Kyungsoo and cheered him on. He forced a smile every time Kyungsoo looked at him. He kept on telling him "Fighting!" as if it was the easiest thing to say. Chanyeol tried to never choke on his words because if he did, Kyungsoo would figure out about his feelings towards him. 

Chanyeol didn't hate Jong-in for stealing his best friend away. Jong-in was a good kid. He was smart and talented. He also respected his elders. Jong-in would only do good for Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo was happier when he was with Jong-in. Chanyeol never saw Kyungsoo smile like that when they were together. Kyungsoo never laughed at his jokes like how he laughed at Jong-in's jokes. Kyungsoo never offered him food like he did with Jong-in. It was so different, a new side of Kyungsoo Chanyeol never had the chance to explore. 

But at least Kyungsoo's happy. 

Chanyeol should be happy for Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo found a person that'll love him like he loved that person. Kyungsoo's smiles were brighter. Kyungsoo's eyes were more energetic. He was better in conversing with people. But even with those aside, Kyungsoo was happy. And Chanyeol should be happy too but why was his chest hurting? Why did he have to force a smile then? Wasn't he happy for his best friend? 

Chanyeol thought about it again and again before arriving at an answer. Yes, he was happy for his best friend. Kyungsoo was in love. His love wasn't unrequited. But Chanyeol felt bad about himself. His love did remain unrequited. He was the one who decided to let these feelings remain unknown. He was a coward. And he'll remain one as long as he was friends with Kyungsoo. He'll keep quiet and never talk about it. He'll continue forcing a smile in front of Kyungsoo. He'll continue pretending to be happy in front of him because Kyungsoo was happy. 

That's what love is, right?