Chapter 9

Star-Crossed: Hidden and Forbidden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 9

 

[Kim Myung Soo’s POV]

 

 

“Seriously, ‘til when are you two planning to give each other that silent treatment?” Sungyeol demanded, seated between Sungjong and I at the breakfast table. He gave us both an annoyed look and sighed. Shaking his head in defeat he spoke, “What am I supposed to do with you?”

 

Sungjong and I hadn’t spoken a word to each other ever since yesterday’s encounter with Hanna. After that embarrassing and utterly degrading moment, I am in no mood to talk especially with him. He, on the other hand, seemed to sense my anger and decided to avoid me at all costs. Thank goodness he understands all I ever needed now is space.

 

How am I supposed to face Hanna after everything that’s happened?

 

The members – all of them have consequently bothered me about her. Back then during the music shows when our group had to compete with her, they have all pushed me into talking to her. And every time they did, all I was able to do is stammer and embarrass the hell out of myself.

 

Why do I always seem to lose my tongue, even my confidence, whenever I’m in front of her?

 

“It’s not Sungjong’s fault if he wanted to help you,” Hoya spoke in between bites of his sandwich. He’s not looking at us but I know he’s been listening to everything.

 

My hand tightened on the spoon I was holding.

 

“It’s his fault not to know the simple rule of not meddling with things he’s not supposed to be involved in,” I answered through gritted teeth.

 

In my peripheral vision, I saw Sungjong flinch.

 

I know I ought to feel guilty but I’m still so far about feeling bad for him.

 

He had embarrassed me in front of Hanna for the number of time and I’m not going to let him get away with it that easily.

 

Dongwoo was the one to speak this time, “Well, you couldn’t blame us if we’d want to help you, Myungsoo. It’s obvious how much you wanted to get close to her.”

 

I placed my spoon down on the table and looked at him straight in the eye.

 

“I want to, okay?” I said forcefully. “But that doesn’t mean you guys should always push me towards her. I can work on it on my own. You don’t have to get yourselves involved in this.”

 

“But are you really working on it?” Woohyun suddenly spoke, his tone challenging. “I mean, no offense Myungsoo but I really don’t see any progress with you two.”

 

I gave him a warning look.

 

He continued, “So you two greet each other, you two talk to each other. But seriously Myung, she even talks more to the rest of us than you. When you arrived together during the welcome ceremony we thought you two might actually began to get closer but as time goes by we’re realizing that she’s getting closer to us but not to you.”

 

I lowered my head, unable to say anything.

 

No matter how much I wanted to speak up and prove he’s wrong, I was left with nothing to say.

 

Because he’s right.

 

Hanna’s getting closer and closer to them.

 

But not with me.

 

Our conversation was interrupted when Sunggyu emerged in the kitchen.           

 

He looked panicked, clearly out of breath.

 

All of our attention was suddenly on him, the heated conversation set aside for the moment.

 

“All of you get dressed up and prepare to leave,” he ordered using his leader-like tone. He walked over to the table, taking a sandwich which he finished in just four bites.

 

Why is he on a rush?

 

Noticing that none of us is yet to leave and obey his order, he spoke again, more forcefully this time, “Move. Now.”

 

All of us scrambled from out seats.

 

“What’s happening, hyung? Where are we going?” Sungyeol asked, finishing off the last bite of his sandwich.

 

I took a last swig of my soup and added, “Is something wrong?”

 

Sunggyu answered after gulping down a glass of water, “Manager said we need to go to the company. There’s an emergency meeting about to be held.”

 

“Company?” Hoya asked, his brows furrowed. “Which one, hyung?”

 

“SM,” he answered shortly. “Now don’t ask any more I don’t really know what’s happening. Manager told us to prepare ourselves because he’s on his way to fetch us here. Now go!”

 

All it takes is one word to have us all obeying orders in an instant – Manager.

 

Upon hearing that single word, all of us left the kitchen and went into our rooms in a flash.

 

All of us were ready just in time as we heard the van skid to a stop outside the dormitory.

 

 “Let’s go,” Manager ordered, his head poking on the door. He left as soon as he said it.

 

The seven of us exchanged knowing looks.

 

On a normal day, our Manager would usually scan the whole dormitory as soon as he arrives – checking if we’ve cleaned or if there’s anything broken or missing.

 

He didn’t even step a single foot inside the dormitory grounds today.

 

That simply means this day wouldn’t be as normal as we had expected.

 

All of us headed outside and boarded the van. The engine was already running and Manager’s already seated in front, his seatbelt buckled up.

 

Everyone seems to be in a rush to go to the company.

 

Has anything happened?

 

Manager gave the answer to my question even before I had the chance to open my mouth and ask.

 

“The SM Entertainment’s CEO had suffered a heart attack,” he spoke.

 

The van was suddenly filled with eerie silence.

 

None of us has a word to say.

 

Unfazed, Manager continued to speak, “He’s currently on a leave and no one knows if he’s still going to go back.”

 

I heard a sharp intake of breath.

 

I looked at the person beside me and saw Sunggyu, his eyes wide in both fear and surprise.

 

I could understand the horror he’s feeling.

 

A company is nothing without its CEO.

 

Manager spoke again, “Today we’re on our way to meet the company’s newest CEO.”

 

 

***

 

 

It didn’t took us long to arrive. The drive was smooth, no traffic and other sorts of delay. The van stopped inside the underground parking lot and all of us went into the building.

 

“Faster, guys. We’re running out of time,” Manager spoke, half-running half-walking towards the meeting room.

 

“Do you think the other artists would be there, hyung?” I heard Sungjong whisper to someone.

 

I slowed down my pace, wanting to hear the answer.

 

“Yes, I think so. This isn’t just some simple matter, Sungjong. It’s the newest CEO we’re going to meet here. I’d bet everything that all SM artists, even trainees probably, would be there,” Sunggyu answered.

 

I almost felt my heart thump.

 

Hanna would be there, the first thought that crossed my mind. I’d be able to see her today.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter