Chapter 39

Star-Crossed: Hidden and Forbidden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 39

 

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

 

“Aren’t we late, Manager?” I asked worriedly.

 

Although Manager and I had left the dorm early for the shoot, we were greatly interrupted by a traffic jam on our way to the scheduled location. I can’t help but feel anxious that we’re running out of time. A lot of people will be waiting for us and I don’t want to waste their precious efforts. It’s extremely embarrassing and unprofessional.

 

“Calm down, Hanna. We’re just in time. Don’t worry,” Manager Song answered from the passenger seat.

 

I sighed and stared out of the window.

 

We’re on our way to the MBC Garden Studio – the scheduled location for today’s shoot and the exact place where L and I’s house was built. It seems like only yesterday when I am this free, uncommitted girl, and now I have a husband and we will soon be formally married and will be living under the same roof.

 

You’re not free, my subconscious automatically interjected. And you’re not uncommitted either.

 

Right. I’m not. How can I be?

 

Up until now I cannot be sure about what Baekhyun and I really am.

 

Is he my boyfriend?

 

Am I his girlfriend?

 

He had never asked me anything, right?

 

All I know is we’re secret lovers.

 

Right. Secret lovers. That’s quite a good title to call us.

 

Hidden lovers.

 

We need to stay hidden because what we have is very much forbidden.

 

I am in love with my very first love and unfortunately, I have to keep all my feelings to myself because no one must know all about it. I am in love with my very first love and he loves me back but I cannot even be so sure if we are dating or what kind of status we’re already in. I am in love with my very first love but now I have my so-called-husband and we’re about to get married soon and have to show the whole public our romantic and some intimate moments while the man I truly love must endure watching everything play on national television.

 

I sighed and ruffled my hair.

 

How can my life be this complicated?

 

“We’re here,” Manager Song muttered as the van suddenly skidded to a stop, making me almost fell off my seat.

 

“You okay, Hanna? What are you even doing back there?” she asked as she watched me fix my ruined hair.

 

“I’m fine, Manager,” I answered in a rush. “I’m okay. This is nothing.”

 

Manager Song rolled her eyes and jumped off the van. She was sliding the door open for me within seconds.

 

“Let’s go. We can just ask the stylists to prep you up,” she said as she checked on my make-up.

 

I walked out of the van and marveled once more at the grand Garden Studio.

 

“I still can’t believe we’re living here,” I whispered almost to myself.

 

“The producers of this show are having a lot of fun with the two of you,” Manager Song said, chuckling. “Watch out for more surprises.”

 

I looked at her in confusion but she only winked at me and broke out into a fit of laugh. I followed behind her as she entered the building.

 

“Are we starting now?” she asked the director immediately.

 

“In a few minutes,” the man answered. “We’re about to finish setting up. You can go stay at the tents for now.”

 

Manager Song nodded and made her way back towards me. She grabbed my arm and pulled me towards one of the already set-upped tents.

 

“Retouch yourself, Hanna,” she ordered and I immediately obeyed.

 

“Is L oppa already here, Manager?” I asked while in front of my vanity mirror.

 

“I think so,” she muttered in reply.

 

“L-ssi was already here, Manager Song. He came in a bit early, actually,” one of the staffs present inside the tent spoke.

 

“Really?” I exclaimed and I watched my cheeks slowly turn pink as the embarrassment sinks in.

 

After a few minutes, the signal for the start of filming came in and so I left the tent and headed towards the director for instructions.

 

“Good Morning, Hanna-ssi,” I heard someone spoke from behind me.

 

“Who—“ I muttered and broke off once I realized who it was. “Oh! Good morning, oppa.”

 

It was L after all, being the prankster early in the morning. We exchanged smiles and bows as we greeted one another.

 

We made our way to the director together and was given the instructions on what we have to do for today. The missions were simple: first, we have to acquire our building passes; second, we need to shop for our house’s appliances and other needed stuffs; and third, we have to eat together.

 

The slate was sounded off afterwards and the lady who assisted us on our very first visit in the building welcomed us again.

 

“Good morning, Ma’am and Sir,” she greeted politely. “You’re off to get your ID’s, right?”

 

L and I exchanged looks and nodded at the same.

 

“Yes, please,” L replied.

 

“This way,” the lady replied as she immediately guided us towards the front desk. Another woman was standing behind the desk and she politely handed us two sheets of forms.

 

“Fill up this and this…” she muttered as she pointed out all portions of the form we need to accomplish. After that, she pointed towards a door -  not far from the front desk itself – and told us, “You can go there for your ID picture, Ma’am and Sir.”

 

At this, L and I burst out laughing.

 

“ID picture,” L repeated, obviously worried.

 

“No one looks good in ID pictures,” I said, feeling the same worry that he has.

 

Now don’t get me wrong. I am not that conscious about my looks but that was before I entered this industry. Having interacted with many Idols for quite a long time, I’ve realized one thing: when it comes to Idols, looks must always come first.

 

L and I took the forms and settled on one of the vacant tables scattered along the main floor of the building. We’ve finished it in no time and proceeded towards the room pointed to us.

 

“Who shall take the photo first, Ma’am, Sir?” a man asked as soon as we’ve entered. He’s not that old, maybe in his late thirty’s or early forty’s, and was holding a camera dangling around his neck.

 

“Lady first,” L said and I wasn’t able to stop myself from glaring at him.

 

“That’s unfair!” I whined which only made him laugh.

 

“Let’s play ‘rock, paper, scissors’,” I offered for a fair play.

 

L laughed again but immediately held out his hand, ready for battle.

 

“가위 바위 보!” we said in unison as we throw out our hands.

 

“I won! You go first, oppa!” I exclaimed in victory. L threw out a rock while I threw out a paper. It was an easy win for me. I can’t help but dance in glee.

 

“You’re that happy?” L demanded, looking at me with a smile.

 

I nodded my head enthusiastically and stuck my tongue out at him.

 

It made him laugh.

 

“Wow. If I’d have to play and lose to you every single time just to see you react that way, I’ll gratefully do it,” he said, shaking his head in amusement.

 

His comment made me freeze and I could feel my cheeks heat up as the embarrassment sets in.

 

“This way, Sir,” the man spoke as he guided L towards the studio – a high stool already placed at the middle behind a white background. L sat confidently and made one last attempt to fix his hair and clothes. I had to note that he was wearing a plain black button-up shirt and he had its sleeves folded up to elbow’s length. He looked cool and handsome wearing it. Seriously, what’s with men and black clothes?

 

“Straight look, Sir. No smiling,” the man ordered as he methodically adjusted the angle of the camera. L obeyed his orders, momentarily forgetting about my existence.

 

The man took the shot and I tiptoed behind his back as I tried to take a peek at the picture’s outcome.

 

Man, how can he still look handsome even in an ID picture? I asked myself in disbelief.

 

The man went back to his “photographer” stance and ordered L for a retake.

 

At this moment, I suddenly felt the urge to joke around again.

 

I stood right behind the photographer, just right enough for L to see me clearly, and began to make faces.

 

Noticing this, L’s lips slowly began to quirk upwards.

 

“No smiling, Sir,” the man warned, clearly clueless about what I’m doing behind him.

 

Unabashed, I continued on my tricks.

 

I tried random peace signs and other random poses but L seemed to be too willing to beat me this time. He remained unaffected by my distractions and remained focused on the camera.

 

That’s when I thought about bringing out my final card.

 

I scooted closer towards his direction and heaved a deep breath before doing my last and final attack.

 

It worked.

 

L burst out laughing.

 

“Sir, I said no---“ the photographer began to complain but L cut him off.

 

“Hanna’s distracting me from behind you, Sir! I’m sorry!” he said as he pointed a judging finger towards my direction. He’s still laughing and I could see how much his face turned red.

 

Ha! I know a simple aegyo would do the job.

 

L straightened up his shirt and sat properly on the stool again. It was only a matter of few minutes ‘til I found myself on the opposite situation.

 

“Your turn now, Miss,” the photographer informed me, his hand motioning towards the booth.

 

I gaped.

 

“M-Me?” I blurted, suddenly frantic.

 

The man nodded his head and answered, “Yes, Miss. L-ssi is already finished.”

 

My breath hitches and I’ve noticed how L’s mouth quirked up into a smirk. Our eyes met and I can see the danger in his – a promise of getting revenge.

 

“I’m dead,” I muttered under my breath.

 

“You’re up now, Hanna-ssi,” L said as he left the stool. He has his hands inside his pockets and his smiling challengingly from ear to ear. I can’t help but gulp in sudden fear.

 

“Goodluck,” he whispered as he came to stand by my side.

 

I’m completely frozen in place.

 

“Hanna-ssi?” the photographer called out and I almost jumped out of my skin in surprise. I dropped my head and scampered towards the booth, settling myself on the stool.

 

I can feel my face heat up as both embarrassment and anxiety hit me.

 

I never should’ve played around with him, I thought to myself.

 

“Alright. Sit straight. No smiling,” the man ordered as he angled the camera towards my direction. I gave my hair and dress a quick fix before focusing on the camera. I noticed L’s figure hovering behind the photographer.

 

Ignore him. Ignore him, I told myself over and over.

 

The camera flashes and I accidentally closed my eyes in surprise.

 

The man shook his head and said, “One more shot, Ma’am.”

 

I heaved in a deep breath and straightened up.

 

Finish this, Hanna. You need to finish this, I thought again.

 

I heard L’s faint chuckle as he scooted closer to the photographer. I wonder if the man knew what L’s doing right behind him. I struggled to keep my eyes focused on the camera but I wasn’t able to help it when L suddenly broke into a hilarious pose.

 

“Oh--- Wait--- Sorry---“ I blurted as I choked in my laughter.

 

Goodness, what did he just do back there?

 

The photographer held his camera down and I was afraid for a second that he’s starting to get annoyed but I saw t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter