Chapter 48

Star-Crossed: Hidden and Forbidden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 48

 

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

 

“Popcorns ready everybody!” Chanyeol shouted as We Got Married’s opening flashed on the television screen. Today the boys were given their special “rest day” so instead of being at the company, we were stuck inside the dorm huddled together in our living room.

 

Everyone has their attention drawn towards the screen, their eyes gleaming in excitement. All of them, except one – Byun Baekhyun.

 

He had spent almost the entire day asleep in his bedroom that we didn’t even get enough chance to talk. I cannot blame him. He had been extremely overworking himself - practicing all day then having to stay up to meet me during the late hours. I know it’s hard for him. But each time I asked him to just sleep instead of visiting me in my room, what I get is a half-an-hour-load of sermon about how he doesn’t care whether he lacks sleep and how it is very much important for him to spend time with me as much as he can. It’s sweet, I know, but I cannot help but worry especially when he’s sitting this still and stiff right beside me.

 

“You okay, oppa?” I whispered, purposely inserting the word ‘oppa’ just in case Chanyeol (who’s sitting on my other side) overhears us.

 

Baekhyun who has his eyes locked on the television but doesn’t actually seem like he’s watching only nodded his head in response.

 

I sighed and gave up.

 

The hosts exchanged a few commentaries at the beginning of the program – mostly an update about people’s reactions towards the existing couples. It didn’t really take long but the whole time I was able to watch Baekhyun from the corner of my eye flinching and biting his lip every time L and I were mentioned. I fought back the urge to console him.

 

“Now let’s check what our newest couple has been up to,” Eric Nam announced. I sat straight on the couch and heaved a deep breath.

 

Here we go, I thought as my face flashed onscreen.

 

It was during that time when L and I have just gotten our house and were both required to take our MBC ID pictures. I once again saw the familiar face of the lady who had accompanied us on our first days at the building and watched as L and I timidly interacted with one another.

 

I didn’t realize we really were so awkward by then…

 

“You look like a real couple there, Hanna,” Suho commented as L and I filled up the forms side-by-side. I noticed how Baekhyun’s hands suddenly balled into fists.

 

The scene shifted into when L and I were already in the separate room and were arguing as to who will take the photo first. I almost gasped as the memories of how that day progressed re-entered my mind.

 

You’re dead, Hanna, was the only thing I could say to myself.

 

If only I could leave the room and let the boys watch on their own… If only I could cover Baekhyun’s eyes to keep him from seeing those things… I would have done it. But I can’t. And so I have no choice but to keep my silence as I watch myself do things I’m very much sure I’ll regret forever.

 

Everyone was quiet as the picture-taking began. The boys were even sympathizing with L and I as we worried about how our ID pictures would look like. But the real trouble began when L sat down to have his picture taken. I had to cover my face and slump back at the couch miserably as the boys began to tease endlessly.

 

 “I never imagined you could pull that much aegyo towards some other guy, Hanna! I thought it was only just for us!” I heard Chen exclaim.

 

“Wow… Just when I thought our Hanna doesn’t know her way with men…” Chanyeol muttered beside me.

 

I groaned and slumped even lower on the couch. I can’t even look at them – can’t even look at Baekhyun. I wonder what he’s thinking of me right now.

 

The show continued and my embarrassment only grew more and more. The boys wouldn’t stop teasing me and it only became worse when it was my turn to take the photo. They were all going on about how adorable L and I were while all I wanted to do was beg them to stop because just by the look on Baekhyun’s face… I know I’m going to be in a lot of trouble later.

 

“Noona even knows how to play hard-to-get, huh?,” Sehun spoke during the part when I pretended to be mad at L. I chastised him with a smack on the head, making the boys laugh again.

 

At last, the scene was over and L and I were inside our house. I was sure nothing unusual happened there so I let myself relax just a little and stared at Baekhyun. He had been forcing himself to laugh together with the other boys but I can see in his eyes how much he’s struggling. I even heard his sharp intake of breath when L held my arm.

 

You have a lot to apologize for later, Hanna, I thought to myself.

 

The show progressed and L and I were at the supermarket shopping for appliances and other house items. The boys made a lot of comments about how we fit each other well and how much we were in sync. Baekhyun had his eyes on the television the whole time; he hadn’t even once looked at me.

 

Just when I thought I had already succeeded in surviving the storm, the scene of L holding something in his hands was shown and I realized that the storm wasn’t over yet – it has only just begun.

 

“What’s hyung holding?” Kai wondered, his eyes darting towards me in question. I didn’t answer. I ducked my head and let my hair cover my face as embarrassment crept in once more. Baekhyun stiffened beside me. I think he could also sense another huge blow coming.

 

Anyway, it didn’t take long for Kai’s question to be answered. The angle shifted, finally revealing what’s on L’s hands.

 

“Oh no,” Sehun muttered.

 

“Is he thinking what I think he’s thinking?” Xiumin asked, his tone amused.

 

Another howl of laughter erupted from the boys as their claims were confirmed.

 

“I didn’t imagine L sunbaenim to be the type of guy who likes couple items,” Tao spoke, his eyes almost wet with tears due to heavy laughter.

 

“Thank God it’s only slippers, though,” Luhan commented, obviously enjoying himself just as much.

 

“But it’s really nice of you to do that, Hanna,” Suho chimed in. “I mean… It’s really embarrassing for a guy to offer buying a couple’s item but the way you saved L...”

 

“I saw how much he liked it, oppa,” I replied. I saw Baekhyun staring at me but I continued, “I know he would be too shy to buy it so I decided to just take the lead. It will only make me feel bad not to do it.”

 

“That,” Chanyeol suddenly interrupted, his finger pointed accusingly towards me. “Or you really just want to have that matching slippers, too.”

 

At that, I only rolled my eyes and flicked his finger away.

 

Few moments of peace was given to me when other couples were finally aired. However, after only a few short breaths, I found myself in the middle of trouble once again.

 

“L sunbaenim looks after you so well, Hanna,” Lay spoke softly when the scene of L offering to carry the grocery bags for me was shown.

 

I forced a smile and nodded my head in agreement.

 

Everyone was quiet after that but silence was broken when they saw L and I eating on the rooftop.

 

“Ahh I’m hungry,” Sehun groaned, slumping back on the couch.

 

“I want a jajjang, too,” Tao, seating right beside him, added.

 

I was already watching comfortably, aware that the show’s about to end in a few minutes, when the unexpected happened.

 

“WHOA!” all the boys yelled, some even stood up from their seats.

 

I felt myself gape at the television screen, my mind going completely blank.

 

The scene remained frozen at the part when L wiped the smear off my mouth and I was pretty sure I had already stopped breathing.

 

Did this really happen? I thought to myself, trying to recall the scene inside my head. I know this happened… I know he really wiped that thing off my face but were we really this… this…

 

“That’s so close, Hanna!” Kyungsoo shouted in anger, taking me back to reality. This is the first time I’ve heard him speak this whole time if I recall correctly.

 

The show has finally come to the closing credits but the boys are still staring at me wide-eyed.

 

“That’s just so close, Hanna,” Kyungsoo continued, his voice shaking a bit. “It almost looked like he’s about to kiss you.”

 

“B-But he didn’t oppa…” I replied in a whisper. This is the very fir

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter