Chapter 26

Star-Crossed: Hidden and Forbidden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 26

 

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

 

“To our successful promotions!” Suho cried out, his glass held up high.

 

“Cheers!” the boys yelled in unison as they stood up to clink their glasses.

 

Today’s the moment the boys wrapped up their Overdose promotions and fortunately, they have ended it up with a win. As a reward, Manager Song treated us to a sumptuous dinner. Plus, she even allowed the boys to grab some drinks.

 

“Wow, I can’t believe Manager Song’s allowing us to do this,” Chanyeol said as he took a swig from his beer.

 

“Yeah, I wonder what the consequence is,” Chen added, flinging his arm over Chanyeol’s shoulder. “I mean, there’s got to be a price for this, right?”

 

Chanyeol nodded his head in agreement and whispered, “Manager Song will be Manager Song.”

 

The two men took off to join the other members who are eagerly enjoying themselves on the buffet.

 

I let my eyes rest on Manager Song.

 

She has her hands across the table and she’s fumbling with her fingers absentmindedly. She looked stressed – her hair sticking out on ends despite her ponytail, her brows furrowed, her forehead creased…

 

‘What are you thinking?’ was what I wanted to ask but I decided to let the question drop.

 

I need to focus on my own thoughts.

 

I reckon Manager Song telling me about L being my “husband” once I joined We Got Married but it hadn’t actually occurred to me then that it was literally Infinite’s Kim Myung Soo – one of South Korea’s most handsome Idols, one of the males millions of girls dream of and look up to, and the one man Byun Baekhyun hates.

 

The picture flashed inside my head again of the moment Baekhyun walked out on me after hearing that L’s going to be my pretend-husband.

 

I should have known, I told myself. I should have known better he’d be depressed.

 

Now that I realized that Baekhyun has every right to walk out on me and be mad like that, I can’t help but feel guilty.

 

Of all the guys in South Korea that I could possibly be “married” with, why does it have to be the one Baekhyun hates?

 

My thoughts were momentarily interrupted when the boys returned to the table, each holding a plate full of food and other delicacies.

 

“Aren’t you going to eat, Hanna?” Kai offered, showing me a plate full of sliced fruits.

 

“N-No… I’m already full, oppa,” I replied, shaking my head.

 

Kai shrugged and turned towards Manager Song.

 

“What about you, Manager?” he offered again.

 

Manager Song remained silent for a few moments but what came out of next utterly surprised the hell out of me.

 

“Hanna’s joining We Got Married.”

 

The scene froze.

 

Kai stood stiffly, the plate of fruits still held in his hand. Chanyeol and Chen stood frozen with their glasses of beer held halfway from their open mouths. Sehun and Tao stopped in the middle of their bickering. Luhan, Xiumin, and Lay were frozen on their seats. Suho and Kyungsoo were looking at us from the buffet table. Baekhyun remained on his seat, his hand holding his chopsticks so tight it looked like it’s about to break.

 

“W-What?” Kai muttered after a moment, looking so confused. “W-What are you saying, Manager? I… I was only offering you fruits.”

 

“Hanna’s joining We Got Married,” Manager Song repeated, her tone more confident now.

 

This time, Suho spoke up.

 

“What are you saying, Manager? Are you serious?”

 

Manager Song heaved a deep breath before answering, “Yes. I am certain.”

 

The scene turned to chaos.

 

“What?”

“She’s joining?”

“That’s impossible!”

“She can’t!”

“With who? Who’s she going to be with?”

“No!”

“We won’t let her!”

 

The boys began speaking – yelling – at the same time I feel like my brain’s about to burst from all the disorder. My eyes darted towards Baekhyun for help but he’s still in his own world. His eyes that were stuck on his plate of untouched food did not even look up to meet mine.

 

“But she’s still too young, Manager!”

 

Chanyeol’s voice woke me up from my reverie and made me stood up from my seat.

 

I have had enough.

 

“I am 20 years old, oppa,” I said through gritted teeth. I could feel the sweat building at the back of my neck as my kept emotions begin to resurface. These past few days have been nothing but hard for me. I am scheduled to join a program without even being asked whether I want to or not; I had another fight with Baekhyun and up until now we are not even okay; I am stressed and pressured beyond compare; and now I even have to deal with the negative reactions coming up from all the boys. Now that the words are out, I can’t seem to stop myself from bursting.

 

“I am 20, oppa, I am way off on my legal age. I have every right to decide for myself – to have a say on what I want to do and what I don’t. I’m not a baby anymore.”

 

The moment turned to deafening silence.

 

“But it’s just…” Suho was the first to speak. “You’ve just begun with your career, Hanna, don’t you think it’s too early for you to join this?”

 

“I know, oppa,” I murmured, looking down. I can’t seem to find my voice anymore. Or was it just because I am on the verge of crying?

 

“Then why did you join it?” Luhan asked this time.

 

“I didn’t,” I whispered.

 

“What?” the boys said in unison.

 

My eyes slowly moved towards Manager Song, making the boys look at her.

 

She looked utterly uncomfortable but still she spoke, “The CEO wanted her to do it.”

 

“What?” Kyungsoo blurted. “Why?”

 

This time, Manager Song looked at me, her eyes filled with a single question: “Should I tell them the truth?”

 

The truth. She, Baekhyun, and I know it. The truth that the only reason I was ever dragged into this mess is to cover up with Kris’ controversy – to divert people’s attention away from him and to make up for the company’s losses that Baekhyun and Taeyeon failed to regain.

 

Manager Song and I exchanged stares for what felt like forever.

 

But in the end, I shook my head.

 

I can’t tell them.

 

They shouldn’t know.

 

Because it would only break their heart.

 

It would only hurt them to know that everything that had happened – from Baekhyun’s dating issue with Taeyeon to me joining We Got Married – is to cover up for what EXO lost, Kris.

 

Manager Song immediately recomposed herself after receiving my answer. She squared her shoulders and tipped her chin up as she said her greatest lie, “The CEO figured it wouldn’t harm Hanna to join. Besides, the producers of We Got Married had been bothering us so much to let Hanna off the hook. She’ll be okay, don’t worry.”

 

Kyungsoo, looking unconvinced, turned to me and asked, “But do you really want to do this Hanna? We could plea for cancellation if you don’t want to.”

 

No, I don’t want this. Please help me get out of this, is what I had been screaming inside my head. But what I answered is, “I think it’s okay, oppa. If Manager Song says it’s okay, then it’s okay.”

 

My eyes darted towards Baekhyun after I said this. He still isn’t looking. But based on his expression, I know he’s just as frustrated as I am. I know he’s holding back just as hard as I am.

 

I felt an arm drape over my shoulder and I looked up to see Sehun beside me.

 

“So who’s noona going to be married with?” he asked though I could hear the slight uneasiness in his tone. “This guy’s better be worth it or I swear---“

 

“Don’t worry. It’s not just some other guy,” Manager Song answered, cutting him off. “We chose him very carefully.”

 

“Then who?” Tao asked.

 

Manager Song stared straight at him.

 

“Sorry but I am not allowed to tell.”

 

 

***

 

 

“How could you be so unlucky, Hanna? Why does trouble seem to follow you everywhere you go?” I spoke to myself as I drummed my fingers on the island table.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter