Chapter 51

Star-Crossed: Hidden and Forbidden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 51

 

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

 

“Baekhyun already texted me. He said there’s still an hour before Taeyeon noona gets discharged so he’ll just  meet us at the company after dropping by here to get some few things,” Suho said right after breakfast. We had just heard the familiar honk of the service van and we’re all in a rush to head off to the company. Today was the first day of rehearsals for the upcoming SM Entertainment Concert and everyone’s pretty much ecstatic about it.

 

“We better leave then,” Kyungsoo spoke as he flung his backpack on his shoulder and left, the other members following obediently behind him.

 

There was chaos on the way to the company. All the boys are absorbed in talking about their upcoming solo concert while I sat in silence, my mind drifting somewhere far away.

 

I have no idea how I was able to sleep last night. It’s like every time I try to close my eyes, a picture of Baekhyun and Taeyeon would automatically flash inside my head – making sleep impossible. The sound of Taeyeon’s voice calling Baekhyun’s name echoed over and over in my ears I had to turn on the radio and increase the volume just to distract myself.

 

In short, last night was a nightmare.

 

And I’m quite sure tomorrow’s going to be the same.

 

“I’ve never seen that keychain before,” Kyungsoo suddenly spoke, snapping me out of my reverie. I stared at him blankly in confusion, unable to comprehend what he’d just said. Kyungsoo only smiled and pointed his eyes to my hands.

 

He was talking about the key. I didn’t even realize I was it.

 

“Ah… This…” I muttered, trying to come up with a good alibi. “Manager Song gave it to me, oppa. It was sort of like a reward for my job well done.”

 

“Ah, I see…” he answered and something about his tone tells me he wasn’t convinced. Still, he turned his attention back to the boys and didn’t speak again.

 

I stared at my phone and its blank screen. I still hadn’t opened it ever since last night and I had this feeling that it’s already filled with Baekhyun’s messages. I sighed and hid it back inside my bag. I’m still not ready to talk to him – not yet.

 

 

***

 

 

The boys and I arrived at the company and were surprised by the hustle and bustle going on inside. It seems like the staffs and other crews are working double time today. The cafeteria was filled with relatively more people and the halls got even more crowded.

 

It took us quite a bit time waiting for the elevator that we just ended up taking the stairs to save time instead.

 

“Wow, everyone’s in full work-mode right now,” Tao mused as soon as we entered the practice room. It is more silent and peaceful here compared to the busyness outside and it somehow felt comforting. I immediately went to the corner, dropped my things, and lay on the ground. I could finally feel the sleepiness coming.

 

I fell asleep as soon as my eyes closed.

 

I hadn’t any idea how long I had laid there unconscious ‘til Kyungsoo’s familiar voice snap me out of my dream world.

 

“It’s time for rehearsals, Hanna,” he said to me softly and helped me as I sat upright. I blinked many times, my mind still taking in what’s currently happening, and it made him laugh. He patted my head and placed a bottle of water between my hands.

 

“Drink that then start fixing yourself. We’ll leave in a few minutes,” he added before walking away. My eyes followed him then scanned the entire room.

 

Baekhyun’s still not around, I thought in disappointment.

 

I drank the water just as Kyungsoo had instructed and went on to fix my messy hair. Suho called us out after a few moments and we left the practice room towards the auditorium hall where everyone’s scheduled to meet up.

 

I greeted every familiar face I was able to see and bowed to all my seniors. I even saw Taeyong at a distance who enthusiastically waved his hand and flashed me an all-teeth smile.

 

I sat down together with EXO, SNSD only two rows ahead of us.

 

The rehearsals began with a few briefings and introductions from our female director. No sooner than later, the performances had begun.

 

It wasn’t really something serious.

 

The director just calls random groups or people and asks them to perform whichever dance or song she likes. The trainees, Rookies as she had called them, were the first to go onstage.

 

I was in the middle of enjoying Taeyong’s rap performance when the boys suddenly turned noisy. I turned to check what all the fuss was about and saw that the person I was waiting for had finally arrived.

 

However, it wasn’t just him alone.

 

He was with her.

 

I watched as he carefully guided Taeyeon towards their group’s designated seats; watched as he held her hand – his other hand holding her by her waist. I watched as Taeyeon smiled to him blindingly after he had helped her settle on her seat. And I watched with a heart-wrenching feeling as he made his way towards our spot, our eyes finally meeting each other’s.

 

“Has noona recovered already?” Chen asked as Baekhyun neared.

 

“The doctor said she’s fine,” he replied calmly. “It was only a mild fever. We only had to stay at the hospital overnight since her voice was somehow affected and we had to check if it was something serious.”

 

“That’s great. Voice is really important, especially for someone like Taeyeon noona,” Lay spoke beside him.

 

Baekhyun nodded his head and went on his way towards the vacant seat which was, fortunately, far away from me. I could feel him staring at me but I forced myself not to look back. I’m still mad, even madder after what I had seen, and I’m not going to forgive him that easily.

 

The rehearsals progressed and more groups such as f(x), EXO, and SHINee had already finished performing. I was also asked to sing right after EXO which felt a little strange especially since it has been a little while since I last performed onstage. Super Junior was called after me and soon was SNSD.

 

“Unfortunately, given her conditions, Taeyeon won’t be able to perform right now,” the director spoke as the ladies went up the stage. “Do you think you can manage?”

 

The ladies seem to deliberate for a moment before Taeyeon suddenly raised her hand, catching the director’s attention.

 

“Yes, Taeyeon-ssi?” the woman asked through her microphone.

 

“I have a suggestion, Ma’am,” Taeyeon answered sweetly.

 

“What is it?” the director asked dubiously.

 

“Just so it won’t be difficult for the girls, I think it’s best if we could ask someone to come as my replacement for the meantime,” she replied, making her co-members stare at her in wonder.

 

The director seems to consider this for she asked, “Who are you planning to replace you?”

 

It took her a few seconds to answer but when she did, a small smirk was formed on her face.

 

“It’s Hanna-ssi.”

 

A wave of murmur echoed the halls as soon as Taeyeon said my name.

 

Even the boys gasped in surprise and began to stare at me.

 

I could feel Baekhyun’s eyes on me again but my eyes were glued to someone else.

 

“Hanna?” the director repeated, she seemed surprised about Taeyeon’s sudden suggestion too. I saw Taeyeon nod her head confidently and looked back towards me, our gazes zeroing on one another.

 

“I think Hanna could perfectly handle the role as my substitute, Director,” she said softly but in her eyes I could see the glimmer of challenge – the dark delight of having the chance to toy me once more. I know what she’s thinking. She thinks I won’t be able to do it , that I won’t be able to replace her.

 

But she’s wrong.

 

And with the kind of mood I’m in right now, I am more than willing to show her I can do it.

 

“Is it okay for you, Hanna-ssi?” the woman asked, all the heads in the auditorium turning to look at me.

 

I gulped and balled my shaking hands into fists. I could almost feel Baekhyun’s gaze burning a hole on my back but still, I did not look at him.

 

How dare she mock me like this?

 

How dare she think I couldn’t make it?

 

Well, I’ll do it.

 

I’ll accept her challenge and show her I could do so much as become her substitute.

 

I’ll work hard and make her realize she’s wrong – that I am also as good as she is.

 

So with a heart thumping loudly inside my chest, I heaved a deep breath and slowly nodded my head.

 

“Yes, Ma’am. I’ll do it,” I answered just loud enough for the director to hear. The boys clapped beside me while the other people present cheered. The SNSD members, especially Tiffany, seemed uncomfortable. But Taeyeon remained calm – her smirk unwavering.

 

I stood up from my seat and made my way towards the stage. I had just attached the lapel microphone at my back when Tiffany whispered to me, “I’m sorry about this, Hanna.”

 

It made me wonder why she’s apologizing to me but I simply nodded my head and smiled, “I can do this, eonnie.”

 

I turned my lapel on and went on my designated spot to indicate I am ready. The crowd of onlookers seem to grow more interested to watch and I felt myself break into cold sweat.

 

There’s no turning back now, Hanna, I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter