Chapter 19

Star-Crossed: Hidden and Forbidden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 19

 

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

 

I stared at the handkerchief in front of me, at the thin long fingers of the hand holding it. But instead of taking it, I looked up to check who my uninvited guest is.

 

“L?” I croaked, unable to hide my surprise. What is he doing here again?

 

He didn’t respond but pushed the handkerchief closer to my face, offering it again.

 

I stood up and hastily wiped my face off with tears, rejecting him the second time. I tried to brush my hair with my hands and straightened my crumpled dress but to no avail. With my eyes red and puffy and my hair sticking out on ends, I know I am nothing but a huge mess. It made me feel a bit self-conscious, standing in front of this gorgeous man.

 

“H-How long have you been here?” I murmured, my eyes darting off in different directions.

 

He sighed as he placed the handkerchief back in his pocket.

 

He blew his bangs out of his face and looked at the sky. I can’t tell if he’s mad at me or had I offended him for rejecting his offer twice.

 

“Not much long,” he answered in his deep manly voice. “You’re already crying when I arrived.”

 

I sniffed as my hands absentmindedly went up to my face again.

 

“Don’t worry. You look fine,” he noted, his eyes finally on me. He looked serious, calculating. But above all that, he looked… worried.

 

I can’t help but scoff.

 

“You don’t need to lie. I know I look horrible right now,” I corrected.

 

Baekhyun immediately went into my mind.

 

On a normal day, this would’ve made him furious – the fact that I’m speaking to L. I am aware of how much he despises him – much much more than he despise Taeyong. But then again, this isn’t a normal day. And Baekhyun wouldn’t even probably care whoever guy I talk to now. He already has Taeyeon.

 

The thought caused my chest to tighten.

 

I balled my hands into fists, trying not to cry again.

 

“Well, except for your sore eyes and your ruffled look, I admit you still look wonderful,” he mused, his tone sincere and thoughtful. “Slightly less wonderful than usual but still… you’re wonderful.”

 

Embarrassingly, I felt myself blush.

 

God, what’s wrong with him?

 

Pretending I didn’t hear anything, I asked, “What are you doing here, anyway?”

 

At that, he laughed.

 

Really laughed.

 

“What are you laughing at?” I snapped. This day is really taking a toll on my patience I don’t even have any time to mind my manners.

 

He stopped and stared at me, his face serious again.

 

I took a tentative step back.

 

God, his gaze is disarming.

 

“One day you’d talk to me so formally, you wouldn’t even stop no matter how many times I asked you to,” he mused, a small smile tugging on his lips. “And now you’d talk to me with no amount of formalities at all.”

 

He chuckled again, scratching the back of his head.

 

“Do you have any idea how hard it is to keep up with you, Hanna-ssi?” he asked, his voice both joking and daunting at the same time.

 

I gulped.

 

“Uh… I…” I broke off, realizing how I’ve spoken to him so informally when we’re not even that close. “S-Sorry…”

 

I ducked my head just in time to hide the flush that’s creeping up on my cheeks.

 

He chuckled again.

 

“I’m just kidding,” he mused, moving towards the edge of the rooftop. “You can talk to me whichever way you want. I don’t mind.”

 

This made me turn towards him but his back is already on me. He’s staring at the wide view of the city – my favorite view.

 

Why is he so nice to me?

 

L didn’t speak again after that. I don’t have any idea whether he knows I’m staring at him or not but I didn’t care. Having him here on the rooftop somehow made me feel like I am less than alone. That although he doesn’t have any idea what’s going on with me, at least I don’t have to mourn alone. Sometimes, you don’t need someone to hear you out. All you need is someone to be with you as you suffer silently on your pains.

 

“Aren’t you going to ask me why I was crying?” I asked, unable to contain it anymore. The fact that he had just watched me breaking down must put a lot of questions inside his head, right? But the way he remained composed and silent is intriguing me. It makes me want to know what’s going on in his mind.

 

“Do you want me to?” he countered, finally turning around to face me. “I mean, I really do want to know. But I also know the meaning of the word privacy.”

 

I smiled, appreciating what he just said.

 

At least there still exists some people who respects other’s privacy. It’s a very rare talent and L is very gifted to have it. He really is such a gentleman.

 

“Sorry,” I whispered as I moved to stand on the spot next to him. “But I think it’d be better for me to just keep this to myself. Thank you, anyway.”

 

He nodded his head, clearly understanding.

 

He turned around to face the view again, drew in a deep breath and spoke, “But remember that I’m just here if you ever change your mind. I am more than willing to listen.”

 

I chuckled.

 

“Noted, Sir.”

 

Silence followed after that.

 

The two of us remained standing beside one another, gazing at the same view, but not speaking.

 

It was kind of comforting in a way.

 

I was able to go through my own thoughts and L was nice enough not to bother me.

 

I hadn’t noticed ‘til now the strange aura radiating from him – like he has this talent of maki

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter