Chapter 49

Star-Crossed: Hidden and Forbidden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 49

 

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

 

“Neol boneun nal boneun neol boneun na,

Nal boneun neo-neo, neol boneun na,”

 

 

I was humming to myself as I put on a plain pastel pink dress afterwards taking another glance at the mirror to check my reflection.

 

“All set,” I muttered as I scurried away to hunt for my matching sandals. Today’s Monday, another filming day, but it isn’t the reason I’m in a good mood. 

 

I sat on the edge of my bed and slipped on the sandals carefully. I made my way back to the mirror and made a twirl. I can’t help but sigh as I stared at myself.

 

“You’re way too happy today, Hanna,” I mused, touching the loose curls of my hair. My eyes moved towards my phone rested on top of the side table. I picked it up, letting the small key-shaped keychain dangle midair.

 

I smiled as I touched it, the memories of how it came to my possession sweetly flashing inside my head.

 

 

***

 

 

“Yo,” he coolly greeted as he entered the room, immediately taking the spot beside me on the bed.

 

Closing the book I’m reading, I placed it on the side table and turned to him.

 

“What is it, Baek?” I demanded.

 

“H-Huh?” he retorted, his face flushing red.

 

“What is it? I know you’re hiding something,” I continued and just by the way his forehead creased, I know I was right.

 

“N-Nothing!” he immediately denied, his eyes darting off into space. “What are you even talking about, Hanna?”

 

I sighed and leaned closer so that our faces are level with one another.

 

“You’re lying, Baek. It’s all in your face,” I pointed straightforwardly. “Now, spill it.”

 

Baekhyun opened and closed his mouth but he can’t seem to find any smart answer. In the end, he chuckled and scratched his head.

 

“Sometimes I hate how much you seem to know me so well,” he murmured as he stood up and took something from the back pocket of his pajamas. He held it out in front of me – a small velvety dark blue box.

 

I stared at blankly.

 

“Tell me that’s not a ring,” I blurted, suddenly feeling tensed.

 

Baekhyun didn’t answer but held it closer to me. I moved away instinctively.

 

“You’re not proposing right now, are you?” I continued, my eyes still stuck on the mysterious box.

 

I heard Baekhyun’s faint chuckle.

 

“What if I am?” he asked, his tone challenging. “What if there’s really a ring inside it?”

 

I gulped and heaved a deep breath.

 

Finally shifting my gaze towards him, I answered confidently, “Then I guess we have to pack our bags now and run away. Because I’m saying yes.”

 

Baehyun broke into a laugh and sat back on the bed, the box still balanced on his hand.

 

“Don’t be silly, Hanna, I’m not proposing,” he said, his eyes bright with amusement. “Even though it’s really flattering you’d say yes, I’m afraid you have to wait for a little while my lady. I’m not planning on taking you to the altar while everything’s this messy.”

 

“That’s why I’m suggesting we just run away together,” I responded, trying to look as serious as I can.

 

Baekhyun shook his head and held my hand.

 

Smiling, he murmured in a whisper, “If I’m going to marry you, I want everyone we love to be there. I want everyone important to you to be there. I want the boys to be there. Our wedding’s supposed to be one of the happiest moments of your life, Hanna, and I don’t want it to happen while we’re in hiding. I want to make it as memorable and as perfect for you as I can.”

 

I smiled and gazed at him warmly, my heart fluttering inside my chest.

 

I can’t find any suitable reply so instead I pointed at the box and said, “So what’s inside it?”

 

Baekhyun, seeming to forget the existence of the box for a moment, jumped from his seat and offered the box to me once more.

 

I took it and gently opened it.

 

My breath hitches.

 

What’s inside the box is a sophisticated-looking silver bracelet with a small keyhole. Then, sure enough, sitting beside it is a tiny silver key – just as elegant-looking as the bracelet itself.

 

“Do you like it?” Baekhyun asked, his voice low and husky.

 

“Is… Is this what I think it is?” I stammered, a bit confused about the gift.

 

Baekhyun smiled and took the bracelet from the box, holding it so I could examine it more closely.

 

“I just got a hold of this a while ago, of course with Manager Song’s help,” he explained, twirling the bracelet from side to side. “It’s a lock bracelet, you know, you can see that pretty clearly.”

 

I sighed in amazement and held it, the silver cold to the touch.

 

“It’s wonderful,” I breathed in awe.

 

“I’ve always been thinking about a nice present for the both of us ever since we became together,” he continued to speak. “Then I saw that online and realized it’s the perfect gift.”

 

He took the tiny key from the box and inserted it on the bracelet’s keyhole, unlocking it with a click.

 

“It’s not a couple item as obvious as the---“ he broke off and stared at me knowingly. I immediately realized what he meant. As obvious as the couple slippers L and I have, I thought as I nodded my head and rolled my eyes to indicate I perfectly understand him.

 

“But still… it makes perfect sense,” he added, taking the bracelet from my hand and wounding it around his wrist.

 

“Once I closed this, Hanna, the only thing that could ever open it again is this key,” he said, pointing at the key rested on my palm. “It’s just like what happened to me when I met you. I let you into my life and it’s almost like I l let you take me as your prisoner – I offered to bind myself to you. And now, the only thing that could make me go away – to make me leave you – is if you’d want me to. Use this key and set me free. It’s all in your hands.”

 

My heart was beating so loud and fast that it was making it so difficult for me to listen. I can feel my breathing turn ragged and my hands slowly shake.

 

Baekhyun was looking at me with so much intensity in his eyes that I swear it’s taking me a lot of effort not to dissolve right in front of him.

 

He loves me.

 

He loves me so much and I can feel it.

 

I can feel it right at this moment.

 

And I’m so sure with myself that I love this guy just the same – just as much.

 

“Want me to lock it up?” I offered, my voice sounding so soft and smooth.

 

Baekhyun was smiling blindingly as he answered, “’Bring on the shackles, I’m your prisoner.’”

 

I smiled back and with a gentle touch, clicked the bracelet into a close.

 

I stared at him with wonder in my eyes and I came to see how close he was from crying.

 

“I love you, Hanna,” he whispered and even with just those four simple words, I was able to feel a whole lot of things – a whole lot of things so wonderful, so perfect, and so immeasurable.

 

“I love you too, Baek,” I answered and this time, I wasn’t able to stop myself from leaning in to kiss him. I kissed him as I felt the warm tears flow from my eyes and down to my cheeks. I kissed him ‘til I felt he was crying with me too. I kissed him and it felt like the most beautiful and right thing in this world.

 

“I think it’s better if you’d hide the key safely for now,” he murmured as he pulled a bit away. “It might get lost.”

 

“I don’t care,” I answered back. “Let it get lost. I don’t have any intention of using it anyway.”

 

Baekhyun chuckled and pulled back completely. He retrieved the key which has been left discarded on the bed and handed it to me.

 

“I especially remade it into a keychain so you could keep it, Hanna. And don’t worry because I don’t want you to use it too,” he mused. “But I still want you to have it. Put in your phone or tie it in your bag, do whatever you want with it.”

 

“What if people notice it?” I asked, suddenly remembering how very much capable some fans are of noticing and investigating even the smallest of things.

 

“They won’t,” he answered confidently with a smile.

 

“Oh, right. Because they won’t even suspect me. If there’s anyone they’d be investigating for some couple items with you, it would be Taeyeon not me,” I muttered bitterly.

 

Baekhyun sighed and ruffled my hair.

 

“Don’t say that, Hanna. You might not realize it but we do have our supporters too. A lot of fans out there ships us, you know,” he said with a playful wink that made my bitterness fade away in an instant.

 

With a sigh and stubborn roll of my eyes, I took the key away and tied it to my phone.

 

“I think I’ll put it here for a while,” I spoke as I stared at the dangling key. “It’ll remind me of you more often once I see it.”

 

“Have it your way,” he answered as he pulled me back to bed and enveloped me into a tight vicious hug.

 

 

***

 

 

I was very much consumed by my thoughts when Manager Song’s voice came booming from outside, snapping me out of reverie.

 

“Hanna! Aren’t you ready yet? We’ll be late for the shoot!” she yelled and I’m almost sure she’s only a few steps away from my bedroom.

 

“Coming, Manager!” I answered back as I happily tucked my phone away into my bag and left.

 

 

“I can see you’re happy,” Manager Song accused jokingly.

 

I smiled at her.

 

“Come on, Manager, don’t pretend like you don’t know the reason,” I answered brightly.

 

Looking back from her seat, she asked in excitement, “Did he give it to you?”

 

Instead of answering, I took the phone from my bag and held it up proudly.

 

Manager Song’s eyes glistened.

 

“Lovebirds,” she muttered as she straightened up on her seat. “Do you know how much trouble I ran into just to get that?”

 

I can see Manager Song shaking her head up in front but I know she’s very much happy for the two of us.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter