Chapter 50

Star-Crossed: Hidden and Forbidden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 50

 

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

 

A red carpet lined with dozens of flickering candles and scattered with red and white rose petals was laid before me. The trail begins right from the elevator doors and ended to a sweet and majestic looking dinner table set up at the edge of the rooftop – just close enough to see the magnificent view of the city.

 

A soft sigh escaped my lips.

 

This is wrong. This is wrong, I thought to myself in attempt to clear my emotions. I shouldn’t feel this way. I shouldn’t, I repeated over and over but to no avail. I was touched – deeply moved by L’s surprise. I know it’s wrong. I know it’s inappropriate for me to feel this but with the way my heart is racing inside my chest right now, I realized there is no way for me to escape it. L left me in awe.  And it’s about to make me go crazy.

 

  “W-Wha---“ I tried to speak but L silenced me by placing a finger to his lips. He smiled and offered his right arm to me. I stared at it blankly for a few seconds before remembering what I had to do.

 

Hesitantly, I took it.

 

L moved the moment I held him. He carefully guided me off the elevator and as soon as my foot touched the velvety carpet on the ground, a sweet relaxing melody began to play.

 

I looked around, checking where the violin sound is coming from.

 

L chuckled beside me.

 

“I’m sorry about that,” he murmured, sincerely apologetic. “I didn’t have much time to hire someone to serenade us.”

 

My brows furrowed in confusion but L easily dismissed it with a pointed look towards the corner of the rooftop.

 

My eyes followed his gaze and sure enough there was a speaker set up at the dark corner – hidden well enough so it’s difficult to be seen.

 

I can’t help but smile at the hilarity.

 

L continued to guide me across the path. I felt myself relax a bit as we made our way past the candles, their warmth comforting amidst the cold chill of the night. The soft breeze at the rooftop provides a continuous soft stirring of the petals scattered on the floor which made the moment even more romantic.

 

I struggled to let my mind focus on Baekhyun but even my own brain won’t seem to obey me. The night was so wonderful and I can’t stop myself from trying to enjoy it.

 

L courteously freed his arm from me as we reached the table. He pulled out my chair and helped me sit. If there is one thing that L never seizes to amaze me, it is his strong respect for women. He’s really one of the manliest men I’ve ever known.

 

After making sure I’m properly settled, L finally sat opposite me and the sound of the violin toned down. It seems to be making way for the two of us to talk.

 

I spoke first, “Is there any occasion, oppa?”

 

My question made L smile and he shook his head as an answer.

 

I tried again, “It’s not your birthday, is it?”

 

L seemed to be intrigued by this so he asked, “When’s my birthday?”

 

“March 13,” I replied without hesitation. I made a very huge effort to prepare myself before joining this show. Except for preparing myself mentally, I also did a bit of research about L and all the small facts about him. I didn’t want to enter this show entirely clueless of who I am about to face.

 

L flashed a blinding smile.

 

“So what’s the occasion then, oppa?” I urged, eager to get the answer. “It’s not even my birthday either. So… What’s so special about today?”

 

Leaning his back comfortably on his seat, he replied, “Nothing, really. I just thought that since I already took you out on a date to the cinema I might as well go all the way. And what better way is there to end a perfect day but to have a dinner date?”

 

“You really are a romantic, aren’t you oppa?” I said to him in awe.

 

“I just want to keep my woman happy,” he murmured, smiling shyly. “It’s my top priority… to always make her feel special.”

 

L’s words seem to tug a string inside my heart. I found myself staring at him, blood slowly rushing to my face.

 

Noticing my awkward silence, L clapped his hands and a man immediately came – wearing a waiter outfit – and brought our dinner for tonight.

 

My eyes almost popped out of its sockets.

 

“Wow. You really weren’t kidding when you said dinner date, oppa,” I mused, staring at the expensive-looking steak served right before me. I felt my mouth slowly water.

 

“You have no idea how much trouble I had to go through begging the kitchen crews to cook that for me,” he said, shaking his head as he chuckled.

 

“I’m sure it’s not as much trouble, oppa,” I countered, my tone challenging. “All you need to do is smile that dazzling smile of yours, show your dimples, bat your lashes and anyone would surely do anything for you.”

 

My accusation silenced him and one look on his face made me realize I hit the bullseye. I automatically burst out laughing.

 

“See? There’s nothing impossible with such pretty face,” I continued to tease but L only rolled his eyes and changed the topic.

 

“Let’s eat before the food turns cold. You must be really starving by now,” he said as he begins to slice my steak for me. He was already finished before I had the chance to stop him. God, why is he such a gentleman?

 

 L and I exchanged small chatters as we ate. He kept on asking small details about how I was doing in the industry and it wasn’t only ‘til we finished eating that I realized he hadn’t even asked me any questions about my personal life.

 

He really is such a nice guy, I thought to myself. By now, other guys would have already asked me tons of personal questions but this guy kept on taking his time to slowly get close to me. He doesn’t want to scare me off and so he is bidding his time, asking me little by little. How much more thoughtful could he get?

 

“Hanna?” L suddenly spoke, interrupting my thoughts.

 

“Yes, oppa?” I answered automatically.

 

“I want to ask you something before this night ends,” he said, his voice low enough to become a whisper.

 

“What is it, oppa?” I asked him and for some reason I didn’t feel tensed about what he’s about to ask. He’s already done so much for me. The only way I could ever repay him is to answer anything he’s going to throw at me.

 

“How do you call me when you’re talking to other people?” he asked, embarrassment evident in his voice.

 

“H-Huh?” I blurted, surprised by his question. Clearly it’s not something I am expecting him to ask.

 

L spoke again, repeating his question more calmly, “When you’re talking to other people about me… what do you call me?”

 

“Uhh… L oppa,” I replied, unsure of where this conversation is heading to.

 

L seemed to find this answer entertaining for he suddenly chuckled almost to himself.

 

“I knew it,” I heard him mutter.

 

I sat in silence as I waited for him to continue.

 

“I want to ask you a favor, Hanna,” he softly said, leaning closer to the table – his eyes staring directly into mine.

 

I gulped and fumbled for words, “Ah… Y-Yes… S-Sure… Oppa…”

 

He moved closer again and I felt my heart skip a beat.

 

What is wrong with you, Hanna? I demanded to myself in frustration. Keep your mind straight! Think of Baekhyun!

 

I tried to focus my attention on other things – tried to convince myself that he is not affecting me in any way. But the way his eyes are gazing into mine is enough to make my knees wobble. God, what is with this guy?

 

“From now on, I want you to call me by my real name,” he whispered, just loud enough for me to hear.

 

I felt my eyes widen in surprise.

 

Calm down, Hanna. He’s only asking you to call him by his real name. There’s nothing so special about it, I said to myself over and over inside my head but deep inside me, I know I am only denying something that is very much clear and obvious.

 

“Kim Myungsoo,” I murmured softly and noticed the momentary spark in L’s eyes. The slate was hit after that and the two of us parted ways. But as soon as I said goodbye to him and turned my back, I knew something had become different between us. I knew it wasn’t just a simple matter of me calling him with his off-screen name.

 

Because as soon as those words left my mouth, we’re no longer the same L and Hanna ages ago. We’re no longer the same people who would accidentally meet each other on the rooftop of SM Entertainment. We’re no longer the same people indulged in our light chitchats. We’re no longer the same people as the ones who joined this show.

 

For the moment I said his name, something has changed.

 

We became something more.

 

 

 

***

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter