Chapter 18

Star-Crossed: Hidden and Forbidden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 18

 

[Byun Baek Hyun’s POV]

 

 

“Hey, Baek,” Taeyeon called out as soon as I rounded up the corner towards the CEO’s Office. She moved away from the wall and began walking towards me. She stopped only a few inches away and reached out to fix the collar of my shirt.

 

“Or should I say… love? honey? baby?” she continued, her voice teasing. She looked up at me from underneath her lashes and smirked, clearly enjoying herself. “How would you like me to call you?”

 

I grabbed her hands and harshly removed it away from me. I leaned closer to her face, trying to get a good straight look in her eyes.

 

“No need to ask me that. This would be over, anyway,” I said, my tone serious and threatening.

 

Instead of being afraid, Taeyeon only let out a small laugh.

 

“Over?” she repeated incredulously. “Who says this would be over?”

 

I let go of her hands, letting it fall back to her sides.

 

I smiled.

 

“I did,” I answered back. “I’m going to talk to the CEO and end this joke once and for all.”

 

Taeyeon’s steady gaze seemed to falter for a moment.

 

She folded her arms across her chest and began stomping her feet.

 

“Oh, really? And what do you think would happen if you do that?” she challenged confidently.

 

“What would happen?” I said and scoffed, leaning in a bit closer. “Everyone will know what a huge liar you are. Everyone will know how you deceived me. Everyone will know your true colors. Everyone will be disappointed for what kind of person you really are.”

 

Taeyeon’s eyes hardened.

 

“Oh yeah?” she snapped. “Do you think telling everyone the truth will let you off that easily? Do you think you could get away with this?”

 

I smirked, sensing her slow loss of confidence.

 

“Of course, I can,” I answered with conviction. “I’m not the one who lied to the people, Taeyeon. I was lied to all the same. I am a victim as much as they are. And all of these happened because of you. You’re the only one to be blamed.”

 

Just when I thought I had her, Taeyeon’s reaction suddenly took me by surprise.

 

She gave out a loud laugh.

 

“You really don’t understand anything, do you Baekhyun?” she mused. “Don’t you think I hadn’t thought about this? Don’t you think I hadn’t planned everything thoroughly? I know you’d react this way, Baekhyun. And I just had the perfect weapon to fight you off.”

 

My brows furrowed in confusion but I didn’t respond.

 

This time, it was Taeyeon’s turn to lean closer.

 

“If you tell the CEO the truth, he’ll just be mad again. Not only towards us but also to your other members,” she spoke slowly, calculatingly. “And sensing just how much stress the CEO got just because of your group these past few days, I won’t be surprised if you’ll only be the ones to receive his wrath. You’re already at a dangerous position in the eyes of the CEO, Baekhyun, so if I were you, I’d be careful not to mess up with him again.”

 

I wasn’t able to stop myself from swallowing.

 

Taeyeon’s right.

 

Once again, she had made her point.

 

“And if you tell the people the truth, how do you think they’d react?” she continued, whispering to my ear this time. “You think they’d sympathize with you? The poor boy who got set up? The poor boy who got deceived?”

 

Taeyeon leaned away and shook her head, her face contorted into a make-believe pity.

 

“They won’t Baekhyun,” she said, making her voice seem like she’s talking to a child. She began to pace around me. “They’ll think your group is nothing but a huge mess. They’ll think that you’re only seeking for a way to divert their attention away from Kris. You’ll lose your supporters, your fans, no one would believe in you. And if that happens…”

 

Taeyeon stopped in front of me again, her eyes fixed on mine – they are hard and serious.

 

“You might as well just choose to disband.”

 

 

***

 

 

“I really want to thank the two of you for offering yourselves to help this company,” the CEO spoke from his seat on his wide table, looking genuinely happy and pleased. I fought my sudden urge to vomit right there in front of him. Taeyeon placed a hand over mine and gave me a gentle squeeze. I almost wanted to swat her hand away. Just the mere fact that she’s touching me is filling me with intense disgust.

 

“It’s nothing, Sir,” she answered sweetly. “We’re glad to be of great help.”

 

The CEO smiled at this and right then, I seriously want to leave the room.

 

Everything that’s happening is making me sick.

 

A few minutes ago, I was determined I could face the CEO and tell him every single detail about the truth but one conversation with Taeyeon took all my confidence away.

 

Because once again… she’s right.

 

I could tell the CEO and all the people about the truth but it would leave the reputation of EXO scarred forever. And considering how critical our status right now is, I don’t think our group could even bear to have another huge issue bombarding us. It could easily lead us to fall out. And that is the last thing I want to happen.

 

So that’s why I am here, sitting in front of the CEO and beside Taeyeon, trying to keep myself composed as I listened to their conversation.

 

“As a gift for you two, I decided to give a public announcement,” the CEO continued to speak, capturing my attention. “I know having a relationship with your labelmate is forbidden in this company but since you two have been nothing but helpful… I decided to make you an exception.”

 

“What do you mean, Sir?” Taeyeon asked, a bright gleam in her eyes.

 

The CEO gave us a warm smile and answered, “I decided to attest to the public that your relationship is true and is well-accepted and supported by the company.”

 

“Sir?” I blurted, standing up from my seat.

 

“Is there anything wrong, Baekhyun?” the CEO asked, his eyes wide in confusion.

 

I bit my lip as I struggled internally. I wanted so bad to speak up but some part of me is stopping me from doing it – that part that cares for the boys and the welfare of our group, that part that doesn’t want them to get hurt any longer.

 

I felt Taeyeon’s hand tighten around mine and knew she meant that as a warning, reminding me of the consequences if I ever let the truth slide from my mouth.

 

I gulped and sat back on my seat, anger slowly building up inside me.

 

“N-Nothing, Sir,” I murmured in defeat.

 

The CEO’s brows furrowed.

 

“Are you sure you don’t have anything to say, Baekhyun?” he asked and for the nth time I fought back the urge to speak up.

 

“Y-Yes, Sir. N-Nothing,” I answered, finally looking away.

 

In my peripheral vision, I saw Taeyeon smirk, clearly glad that she’s having it her way.

 

The CEO clapped his hands in delight.

 

“Well, you two could go now so I could begin to work on the announcement. Congratulations and may you two have a successful relationship,” he greeted as he escorted the two of us out. The CEO barely becomes this hospitable to anyone. We really might have made him so happy for us to deserve this. The thought made my chest tighten.

 

The door closed shut behind us as soon as we stepped outside the office. I looked up and saw Manager Song, her eyes intently fixed on me.

 

“I would like to have a word with you, Baekhyun,” she said, an undercurrent in her voice. I bit my lip and stood straighter, preparing for what’s to come. Manager Song’s eyes slid towards Taeyeon who’s standing indifferently beside me. “If you don’t mind, Miss Kim, I would like to talk to Baekhyun alone.”

 

Taeyeon seemed both offended and annoyed for a moment but she returned her composure in an instant. She gave Manager Song a sweet smile and turned to me.

 

“I’ll see you later, then,” she said, placing a gentle hand on my cheek before leaving.

 

Manager Song looked like she’s about puke.

 

“Wha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter